Ken Beginners Thread

Simple is good for me. I lost a lot of developmental time in SFxT because I concerned myself more with finding and implementing esoteric tech than the fundamentals.
That being said I will keep s.HP in mind. I’m loving the crush counter mechanic and Ken’s is too strong to ignore. Not to mention, one of my universal problems atm is not converting high damage (a common pattern is I get several knockdowns and damage early on, but then start losing hard if my opponent adapts), and this certainly helps (though so does c.MP).

Hey dose Ken have any anti airs that do more than just Lead back to neutral?

if you can land a cr. fierce crushcounter, you can do some flashy stuff

cr.fierce, lp fireball (juggle), step kick (juggle) v-trigger cancel hp.DP / critical

Thanks. I have a friend who is really jump happy and iv been trying to find a way to really punish him for jumping so much.

I literally JUST found something that might help

close b.mp~hp (TC)>mk tatsu. hold up forward cr.mk
on normal recovery: whiff*
on quick recovery: crossup
on backroll: normal jump in

*after whiffed j.mk:
IMMEDIATELY cr.mp, cr.lp (both whiff) and st.hp

st.hp will hit meaty.
On normal hit you can run cancel into cr.lp>mk tatsu -> same setup again
on crush counter you can do pretty much what you want … xD
on block that cr.lp is safe and with a micro step forward you can throw

@gigglz Holy crap thanks, I’m definitely going to try this in training mode when I get back home.

Do you guys have any good pokes of ken to use, because he seems to be more of a up close fighter this time around.

What are Ken’s strengths?

So theres no combo with v-skill without CC unless you do step kick?

St.hp>vskill>lk.tatsu>fp.srk\CA\ex.srk

I’ve never dealt with frame data before and was pretty much a scrub in SF4. Trying to gain a better understanding of the mechanics. I’m taking a look at Ken’s frame data and wanting to know if I’m reading into these correctly.

For example cr.Mk
[list]
[] start-up: 6
[
] active: 2
[] recovery: 14
[
] hit advantage: 0
[] block advantage: -4
[
] hitstun: 15
[*] blockstun: 11
[/list]

This means on block, the opponent needs to throw out a move that’s 4 frames or less in start-up to hit be able to hit me before I recover?

There are also things like hit-freeze (self), (op), what do those mean?

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, that’s what it means. Moves have start up, active and recovery frames. They also have hitstun and blockstun. Moves can only hit during their active frames so a move will lose to another move if the second move is active while the first move is still at start up or recovery frames. If a move hits another move during its start up, it’s a counter hit. A counter hit adds two more frames of hit stun.

When two moves connect during their active frames they trade if they are the same strength of buttons (for example a medium button vs a medium button). If they are buttons of different strength the strongest one wins in SFV (for example a st hk will beat a cr mk if those moves connect during their active frames).

Knowing your moves frames and the opponent’s frames helps you whiff punish more effectively. So for example cr mk has 22 total frames. Ken has a 7 frame sweep, so you know you have to react within 15 frames in order to punish cr mk with a sweep (a pretty tight window).

Moves also have hit boxes and hurt boxes. When the hit box of one move touches the hurt box of a character that’s a hit. So it’s good to know how the hurt box of a move shapes itself along the move’s animation. So let’s look at cr mk again. Since punishing it with a sweep is tight, we could try a st lk instead since it starts at 4 frames. But if the hurt box of cr mk has retracted too much, st lk will whiff even if you press it on time.

But when a move connects instead of whiffing, the game essentially pauses for some frames to give the player more time to react to the outcome. That’s hit stop or hit freeze. It’s what gives you enough time to recognize if your move was blocked or not and follow it up accordingly. When your move touches the opponent, he is always stunned for some frames. Hit stun is the number of frames he is stunned when the move hits, and block stun is the equivalent number for when the opponent blocks. so Let’s say cr mk connects during it’s 1st active frame which is the most usual scenario. There is one more active frame and 14 recovery frames. Since hitstun is 15 frames, your opponent recovers at the same frame you do, so that’s why the move has a hit advantage of 0. Since blockstun is lower by 4 frames, you can easily see why block advantage is at -4.

But hit advantage and block advantage don’t always stay the same. Let’s say your opponent is down and you time your cr mk just right so that it hits him during the 2nd active frame. You now only have 14 frames of recovery left till you recover but your opponent is still stunned for 15 frames. So hit advantage is +1 in that case, while block advantage is -3. A move timed in order to connect at a latter frame is what is called a meaty. Moves with more active frames are better for that use since they can offer more advantage when timed correctly. Since meaties on wake can be timed to be active early, you will beat non invincible moves and also get a counter hit if the opponent doesn’t block.

For example, if you press a cr mk 3 frames before the opponent wakes up, cr mk will be active in 3 more frames. If your opponent presses anything that is 3 frames or slower and has no invincibility during startup you will get a counter hit. So now you have to wait 14 frames before recovering but your opponent will be stunned for 14 + 2 = 16 frames. But if you time your cr mk so that your opponent wakes up when it’s in its 2nd active frame, you only have 14 recovery frames till you can move again, but the opponent will be stunned for 17 frames which means that you just got a +3 advantage on hit. If you have a 3 frame move you can actually now combo into it.

Thanks for breaking it down! This is very helpful and answered a ton of my questions regarding frame data and some terminology. =)

Would love to see a video of this tech.

I try that ps4 share stuff today… hopefully you can upload to youtube somewhat easily

This is so annoying…

After finally linking YT and my PS4, I cant get the setup to work anymore and I dont know why.

I used Ryu and the crossup whiffed 100% of the time
The st.hp would lose but cr.hp would counterhit all the time…

Im sincerely confused what Im doing wrong…

Will update this post when I know more

From what I have seen it is better to use your V meter to get them off of you versus activating.

Anyone know what kens meaty is? I need an answer to everyone jumping on their wake up.

Okay, I’ve been playing fighting games for years, and I ran into an execution issue that I didn’t think I’d have. I’m trying to do TC1->hp.srk->CA. The biggest issue is getting the CA to come out fast enough to connect. I keep whiffing it, which can be embarrassing in a real fight, hah. Oddly, I can do this 100% from the right side of the screen, and when I’m on the left, I’m just not dexterous enough. I’ve been practicing for a while, and I have like a 20% success rate. Any tips on being more consistent? It’s really strange that I’m having issues with this, especially since usually I can at least mash it out, but not for this. Anyone else have issues executing this from the left side?

–edit: i figured it out. it’s worth delaying the punch input for the srk and get the other inputs for the CA in. so delay the punch button and it’s easier to execute CA right after.

I’ve just started getting back into SF didnt really like 4 so didn’t play it at all. How do you guys open people up with ken? I can at times read people and counter hit with TC1 and TC2 but when they just start blocking I cant really get anything started. I try to mix them up with overhead and throws but they simply knock me out of them with jabs.

Try doing more tick throws. Jab once or twice, then walk up and throw. Otherwise, I’m surprised you aren’t getting a lot of hit confirming from b.mp. I’m constantly catching people throwing random normals and punishing them for it.