Joo's MvC2 Combo DVD. Coming Very Soon

And I think MvC2 forums are too deep for the average MvC2 player to appreciate, so we should take down the whole MvC2 forums at SRK.com

Then I’ll invite you on a per person invitation basis to possibly join my personal MvC2 forum message board consisting of maybe 3 people who can appreciate the game at competitive levels. Oh but Joo is not Duc, Justin, or Yipes, so sorry, you’re all not invited.

What a great idea for furthering the community!!

A tear in the MvC2 community? Creative vs competitive? o_O Jaded u so craaaazy.

Go on wit’ Joo bad-ass. (Thanks Magnetro, I had to think of something else and wow was it harder knowing his name is pronounced as ‘joe’)

I think Jaded is just proving a point. And when I think about it, I agree with him. In Joo’s intent to have his work appreciated, perhaps he is inadvertently looking at this from an elitist point of view. And that leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. If he doesn’t intend to share it with us mere “MvC2 commoners”, than why even notify us about it in the first place.

I think you guys read it wrong.

I’m pretty certain that they’re on the trail of a more intricate designed Marvel where everything is mapped out and understood. No more secrets, just a complete in-depth understanding of the game engine that clearly is generally lacking. No more “That Was Random” but actually understanding what specifically causes that randomness. It’s a methodical approach that is indeed novel and once you think about it you’ll realize WHY joo would think that you’re missing the forest (the artistry of the game engine) for the trees (the ‘cool combos’).

Well if you’re right, then I’m all for that. Can’t tell you how sick I am of scrubs pulling a fast one on me in this game. :sweat:

Although I’m not sure how a combo video is supposed to teach us that. But I remain optimistic.

nice post prep.

and combo people (all 2 of them) reserve the right to be somewhat elitist on the grounds that they’re erm … elite.

<3

Who is ‘they’? Joo and Magnetro? Or the developers of another Vs series?

What is currently not understood? When I watch Joo’s vids, I don’t understand anything any better. I marvel (no pun intended) at the stuff he comes up with, no doubt. I see ‘how’ certain things happen, but don’t always understand ‘why.’ For instance the multi-point character bug…wow. I haven’t the slightest idea as to how someone would cause that to happen, nor do I have any idea as to how they would control them both in order to do some of the combos Joo has done in his videos…or was that Magnetro? :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t understand where this huge rift has developed between people who play the game competitively and people who try their best to break down the game engine in order to know all the details of what happens and why and what could be forced to happen out of the norm. Who are these people that do not appreciate Joo’s work? Where are these hateful opinions being posted or said? I don’t think it is impossible for a competitive player to appreciate what is discovered by a tester. I’m sure something happened at one point or time though that caused him to feel this way.

I appreciate every contribution to the game, be it small or grand. That person had something to say and/or show, and took the time to present it to someone else who may not have been aware of it. Top tier.

That just blew my mind.

I think maybe people making combo videos are tired of getting shit about combos not being practical. There’s more appreciative people than not anyways. But oh well gotta give respect either way

Maybe a “practical/flashy” combo video should be made. That way everyone wins. :smile:
Although it won’t stop the complaining.

That + normal people don’t begin to get the combos and have complaints about things they dont understand. Combos are an art form more than anything, there really isn’t a good or bad combo (well sorta), I’m talking about high levels like joo’s, it’s all opinion. Usually it’s a matter of how much you know about the game or how insightful the person is about video/combo making. So when you have a lot, the opinion means something, when you dont (and there are a lot of people in this category: top players/normal players/sucky players/youtube) it’s pointless, even if it’s a positive opinion, it doesn’t mean anything

quick explanation: don’t show idiots your things 'cause they’re stupid

is this vid on youtube?
i downloaded it but couldnt play it :sad:

Okay, so I’m an idiot. I may not think the combos practical, but I like watching the videos and thinking about it. I also won’t bitch about it just because the combos may not be useful for me.

I don’t see combo videos as a form of art, admittedly. But I try to appreciate people’s point of views no matter how much I cannot understand them. Yet, this still makes me an idiot despite my efforts to look at the game, get better and consider where these ‘elite’ are coming from? Well, whatever. This isn’t about opinion, because in reality why should he care? Who’s opinion matters? Nobodys. Who’s going to dictate Joo’s creativity? Nobody. I still stick to my former opinion from what I see - if he really wants it to be appreciated, he’ll hold it out for the masses to see instead of waving it our face and leaving us bewildered as to who is “worthy” or “righteous” for his shining creation. True artists don’t do that sort of thing.

Look, I really want to see it. I want to see what’s on display, see in particular what he does with the people I use and consider what it does for me. And if doesn’t, well so what? I’ll still appreciate it.

Very good post. I’m not sure how he’s going to carry out that idea of letting only certain people watch it. Anyway, you have the right mindset IMO. Again good post.

You’re right though, no one controls his method of doing what he does and I came to the same conclusion as you did. However, I’ve been thinking of how it feels with what I do, and I’ve come to the conclusion that ultimately, you don’t care about other people’s opinions however, you could be so proud of something you’ve made that you wouldn’t want others to see it. That sounds contradictory but that’s the truth (for me). I recall some occasions when I’ve been working on something for a while, I’ll feel really proud of what it is and I won’t show it to anyone for a few weeks; I’ll finally get over that feeling and show it to the gen pop. I could imagine it’s the same for joox5.

or I could be wrong, he is japanese and i’m not. different mindsets.

edit* @ /

yeah, definitely, people could always try to think about what they’re doing over and over in matches to see if they find something new. but joo has practical things in his combos SOMETIMES, you just have to watch them carefully -_-

While this is just added little snippet i don’t think it was really intended to make people get all riled up. Just kind of a side note for people to think about really.

Some of the combos in the id were pretty useful. That sakura combo in the beginning has a high probability of landing in a match. 85% percent damage on Sentinel earned from practice and hard work. If Sakura had a free combo on Sentinel you most likely would get 55 points of damage.

I’m just sayin as one point, most of the combos on Marvel used today seemed amazing and difficult at one time. When everyone worked hard to attain impossible damaging combos it set the bar. Present new players come in and learn those combos not knowing that people worked hard to create these combos that at one time impossible.

I’m saying if Marvel players began striving towards a higher level of play/combo execution its possible it could really change the game a lot. But it is a lot of work for just a game :sweat:

demarcating a line doesn’t join communities.

when you ‘combo masters’ can tell me you never learned a single thing from a combo video that somebody else made (uhm, j. chen’s mvc2 video??) and you came up with ALL of your tactics on your own vs. reading a post at srk.com that made you say, ‘hey, maybe I can build upon that idea ??’ , I’ll give your ‘elitist’ attitude some cred.

until then, your attempt to make yourself elite comes off as a joke.

Explain how this looks: Somebody says, ‘No, you can’t join or even watch a tournament in a video game because you look like an idiot when I’ve seen you first play. You don’t appreciate the game at a competitive level.’

This is exactly why fighting games suck as a community. It’s a wonder how things haven’t deteriorated faster.

Well I don’t. I’m sick of seeing Magneto, Strom, Sentinel and people that try to defend them. I’m sick of people saying that we can break the tier list if we just try hard enough with the low-tiers. Its just too broken for that.

But concerning the thread, how good is Joo at MvC2. I guess we’ve established that he is good at combo videos, but what about his skills? Combos mean nothing if you can’t zone/ set-up worth a damn.

thats the whole point though. he doesn’t really ‘play’ marvel. competitive mvc2 in JP died a long time ago. i’ve seen some vids of joo playing vs. but thats not really his steez. he’s thinking way out the box.

i feel like if theres demand though we’ll seee the dvd at some point.

It’s easy to mash hard enough to beat a combo master. That would be utterly contrary to his viewpoint as I understand it.

me and magnetro and joe are on the same page.

^ i love watching ur match vids though :wink:

You’re not even trying anymore.