It Looks like it's time to operate: Match up Thread

Okay, I’m starting this thread because there are some match ups in this game that a very difficult to deal with. So if you have any ideas or tech that might help us fellow Valentine players, please feel free to share.

My first question would be if anyone has any tips for the match up against Parasoul. Parasouls normals seem to be really good especially in the air to air game. Parasouls j.hp and j.hk seem to out beat anything Valentine has to offer.

Napalm Pillar. Use it.

When not using napalm pillar (as if that would ever happen) try using j.MK for air to air against Parasoul. Air throw or c.HP can work if you get under her fast enough also.

I play Valentine either with cerabella. So i dont have Napalm pillar at my disposal. But I didnt think about J.MK though. Good looking out DJ.

Oh also in that match up what we be a good assist for Valentine to have as her own. Cerabella i got the haggar arm assist but i dont know what would be good for Val?

Be gay. LOL.

But honestly, I’ve found sitting back with a life lead the best tactic against parasoul since their approaches are terrible against a Valentine that’s paying attention.

I also find that conditioning them to j.HP a lot and then catching them with 236K is a good way to whittle down their health and get the lead which you can use to manipulate them and open them up so much easier.

Also, if they’re the whole screen away. Just crouch. Napalm shot goes right over and she doesn’t have any other projectile other than Egret command grab that can reach, which is easy enough for you to react to.

Tbh, as a Solo Val, I think a lot of this MU is bait and punish. If a parasoul does a rising j.HP, run in c.LP as the j.HP wont reach. If they like to falling j.HP, falling on top of them with j.LK and j.MP is a method that works as well, at least in my experience. If they like to mix it up, you can usually just wait for a rising j.HP and punish that, or just super jump over them and aggrivate with Dead Cross projectiles and air dash back or forward to keep your distance.

Granted, this is all from a Solo Val player, so with assists on Val’s side, you could get a lot more aggressive. When it comes to having assists on Parasoul’s side, these tactics dont stop working. The opportunities just present themself less often.

how do you guys deal with ms.fortune’s j.hp? j.hk? it stuffs most of my moves and i’m basically grounded unless i got parasoul or filia’s assist.

this is pure theory, but i think j.hk’s unique properties is a good tool in this match up.

it’s stalling properties allow you to sit in the air for a second, so if the ms.fortune is spamming j.hk/p a lot, learn your opponents spacing and pretty much sit right outside their range in air with j.hk. as soon as they whiff, go into a forward airdash and come down with an aerial of your choice.

if you feel like it’s going to hit you, backdash out of j.hk, and if the timing and spacing is right, you can cancel immediately into a 236 K, and go from there. if you hit them with it, and you’re close enough to the ground, go into Checkmate Incision and OTG into a combo.

i think smart use/conservation of your airdash is key when it comes to getting around that and Parasoul j.HP spam.

if you manage to beat her out with j.hk, you can just confirm into an aerial than a combo of your choice.

Well, I’m gonna share what’s working for me now in some match ups:

Air dash j.lk, j.mk and j.hk are all great tools for changing Valentine’s jump arch. Like j.lk will bring you straight down and it’s a great tool to go over Peacock’s bombs with a IAD j.lk. j.mk hurls you horizontally so you can chase people down and j.hk long duration keeps a lil longer in the air and also zones a good area.

Vs. good j.hps: jump back j.hk, then ad into a punish or a crossup.

vs. Painwheel: j.hk/sj.hk is really good, combined with air alpha blade and as always a good DP assist.

Ok here’s another match up that i’ve been having trouble getting around. Is that BS Peacock/Double team. I know most of these teams I’ve played can’t use double that well, she mainly just used for assist. But there has been sometimes where both have been decently good. Anyone who’s played this team knows how hard it is to get in. Any tips for this match up. My team consist of Valentine and Cerebella if that helps

A friend of mine is just getting into the game and he rocks a solo valentine. Unfortunately, the other day he ran into a solo Painwheel and got STOOOOMPED. Like, crazy curb stomped. It was like he had no way to deal with her flight cancels and mix-ups. Soooo, any tips on that? As a cere/double player there wasn’t much I could tell him.

against painwheel: a lot of PW players like to spam jumping H to start there combos. I would use J.MK or J.HK those usually stuff that out depending on jump distance, timing, ect. as far as the flight canceling goes, he just gonna have to work on push blocking at the right time and react correctly, which is easier said then done. also if you can get in, its best to stay there. Keeping the pressure on PW seems to make the fight easier for me.

One matchup my Valentine seems to struggle against is Filia. I’m not sure it’s a general character concern, because my Double does great against her. Either way, some matchup strats would be nice to hear.
Also, some more specific questions:

1. How do I deal with airdash j.HP? I feel like Val has no tools to get her to stop using it over and over aside from pushblock, which basically lets her do it again, try to hit her with a s.HK which seems risky, and call Hornet Bomber assist, which I don’t feel like I should be relying on, especially since if I do it wrong, she can just do c.MK into Happy Birthday if Val couldn’t block.
  2. Is it just me, or are her normals ridiculously fast? Her j.HP seems to beat my j.LP or airgrab so often. And if I try to pressure her with Val air options off of a blocked Double buttslam, she can just mash launcher unless my timing is spot on.

The instant air dash H. can be pretty hard to get around. What I really think it is, is timing. depending your distance when she starts the jump dash you can grab her as the H is coming out and beat it clean. Also, i know your not really trying to use Double as a meat shield or anything but if you call her out and shes blocked i would wait for her to try and punish the assist and then go for like a super to get her knocked down. once you have her knock down you have to stay on top of her. Also from certain distances Vals J. HK beats it out.
Also, if you getting beat out by launch when you try to apply pressure after a blcok butt slam, try baiting out the launcher by double jumping at the last possible second and follow with an air H.

Does anyone have problems with Parasoul?

That depends, is she fighting solo or with a team? The only time it becomes a problem is when she spams j.Hp to either run away and come in and sometimes it can stuff most of your aerial moves, and if your not careful they can grab you in the air. Which can turn into trouble if you are not careful and aware. Personally, I use Double’s HBomber as a means to interrupt and a meat shield so I can get an IAD J.hp or J.mp, so once you get the hit stick on her like a cheap suit. NEver give her a chance to breathe, but also respect that if she’s coming off the ground she may or will hit you with her Napalm Pillar and chain her bike super if she manages to catch both you and the assist. Out of majority of the cast she is one of my biggest worries to go up against, even more so when she is solo because she has really damaging and long combos, which can end badly whether she resets or not. And the reset is something you want to avoid totally altogether. Keep purple poisons on hand and approach with caution while keeping in mind her options that can punish you if you leave a hole in your offense or defense and you should be fine. Before I use to absolutely hate this match up, but now I am mostly annoyed by it but it is possible to win. Now Painwheel on the other hand…

With Parasoul, I mean solo mostly. Like if it was straight up Val vs Par.

I recently learned that you can duck her tear shots. Is her bike super invul.?

Not not really. The bikes act a meat shield for the most part. If your close enough you can flat line super threw the bikes on reaction, i believe you trade though but hey its better than eating the full super. I also noticed with the level 3 super of Parasoul if your with a character legenth away you can flat line super threw it and land safely on the other side for a chance to open her up and basically get rid of 3 bars of hers. I mainly only use this if i see there trying to chip me out. Even on block that thing takes a shit load of chip damage.

As Maximo says they are mostly used as a meat shield but they are extremely weak to projectiles, so if your fast you can react with a scalpel super as well if you don’t wish to take the damage. That’s what I do mostly as to me she can be a bit predictable but all in all very deadly in the right hands, especially if she knows she can’t risk taking anymore damage then she’ll throw out the bike as a precaution. Overall I personally do not feel comfortable with Valentine going solo against Parasoul, not one bit as she can punish you really hard if an experienced Parasoul watches out for that chink in your offense. Be wary of her lows and instant overheads and punish accordingly with grabs and combos of your choice just so long as you can do big damage piece by piece then it all adds up. Never rush her unless its a beginner and even then don’t do it unless you know for sure that you can kill her or apply pressure that makes her scared. J.Hp, IAD J.hp is your best friend, especially if she is in a corner ducking while blocking and can lead to big damage if you have an assist like Double that forces her to block low. Leads to interesting setups and resets so long as you know what your doing. J.Mp is also your friend against a J.hp Parasoul that tries to get smart an use that as a means to get in or run away, though its all in the timing and your ability to use her IAD.

I need painwheel matchup help. Seriously. She’s the bane of my existence. I use Val Soul and cerebella on the side.

I understand the feeling dude, all to well. Pali is one of the main reasons why I hate that broad so much because of her funky normals and freaking long as combos. Though I had thought Cerecopter would help as an AA so you can IAD J.Hp to set up a double unblockable.