Is this actually a 1v1?

This is a bit strange but I was thinking about the meta, the gameplay and the matchups of this game, and I’m starting to toy with the idea that perhaps this is quite possibly the most well thought out Vs title to date.

From a story perspective this game is about fusing two worlds together, not just clashing together but actually fusing into one. This is expressed in the embodiment of Ultron Sigma as two characters who have merged to become one.

For the gameplay, this game doesn’t play like your typical Marvel. Previous Vs games you always had a point character who was backed up by various assists, they were essentially special moves that your character could acquire that they couldn’t do before. But this game is different. In this game your character gets access to the entire arsenal of the other character, if they wanna do stinger they can do stinger, if they wanna do larriat they can do lariat, if they wanna do hp they can do hp. A slow and limited character like Haggar technically has all of the space control and mobility of Zero to utilise just at the press of a single button, that’s leaps and bounds beyond the application of a single assist.

This isn’t a tag team 2v2, but a hybrid 1v1. This is why I’m struggling to adapt I think, because matchups aren’t based on battery/main/assist or point/main/anchor type archetypes, matchups are probably beyond discussion at this point, they’re based on what both characters can do in unison with each other as a single entity, not a team with backup.

So I raise the idea, that this is pretty much the most well thought out Vs game they’ve ever made. Not only have they told a story, but they’ve reflected the concept through the gameplay as well. As unpopular as it is in the media right now, I say kudos to them for creating something that’s not lacking substance. Sure the graphics aren’t perfect, but the concept and execution from a philosophical point is outstanding, it’s a job well done. To some people philosophy means jack shit, but fuck those people, this game is great.

You’re right that this game isn’t exactly a “tag” game where characters are juggling spots like a wrestling match. The switch flows much better and is a great installment to bring a ton of variety to the game.

However the disadvantage of having multiple characters is still there and is the primary reason I would never call this a 1v1.

Losing a character is losing a entire moveset. Having both characters hit will lose you any lead. And some attacks will only commit to hitting one fighter if there are two on the field.

Hell you can even attempt escaping a high damage combo with counter switch. Or using a teleport/wall-cling to make the opponent face away from the character he was attacking.

Not having both characters is still a disadvantage.

In addition…

It removed something what I always felt like was akin to making a “rpg build” and made it more a fighting game where you pick your characters and can just play and do shit.

I feel like its just sad that roster size and graphics are far more important than the actual fight being fun. That said, yeah i know the variety has value and art catches the eye, but neither of those would matter if this game was sfv tag edition.

I like sfv btw. Its just its gonna take awhile to get great.

Good points. From a meta perspective though it’s definitely not a 2v2 Fighter either. Obviously you pick two characters! But a character like Zero for example could use all of his mobility and screen control to his fullest potential, and then just tag to a character like Hulk, where damage and setups can be done. From a fighting game perspective that’s more than working together, it’s giving Hulk teleports, pizza cutters, busters and all sorts of tools to open up the opponent, and then he switches in to crush you. Before now we would have used beams and other ways to assist Hulk in approaching him self, but now he doesn’t have to do that, as long as he’s in the right place at the right time when Zero calls the work has been done for him, Zero is just an extension of Hulk, and vice versa.

As the game goes on you will get more of those 2v2 elements. Like you can basically still call assists in this game you just have to tag in the character. Doing stuff like s.HP, Ultron beam+tag is basically an assist call as the game freezes, tags you in and then lets the beam go off. Doing stuff like that is basically an assist call and it’s ideal if you have 2 characters that are good at doing tag assists.

That’s on top of the fact that characters like Ultron and Coon already have self assists.

It’s not a 1v1. I understand where you are coming from. It’s what DJ and I both said before the games release and I do still believe in it, but only to a certain extent.

The “marvel 2v2” aspect of the game is basically frame advantage on block. That plus movement options are the primary way marvel games differ from streetfighter games.

The tag system gives the frame advantage on block.

The disconnect I think some have with this and other marvels is that the tag system screen freezes and assists did not. And that there are so many specials to use as tags.

Me personally I try to start out teams by only using one tag move at first and then building from there. It’s how I learned skullgirls assists with so many assists… you just pick a move and tr. to manoeuvre your opponent into positions where it will work.

Don’t bother trying to tag off of everything, it will take you way to long to get gud doing that, just find some shit to abuse then slowly add shit to your repertoire.

As an example my first move to abuse with ultron was his L beam tag. I need to start to incorporate more of his lockdown specials though.