Is it too much?

Please, whoever can convince me to come back to this franchise, gets a gold medal. Crapcom has abused it so much it’s not even funny.

How many Street Fighters there should be:
Street Fighter
Street Fighter II
Street Fighter:Third Strike
Street Fighter IV

How many Street Fighters there ACTUALLY ARE:
Street Fighter
Street Fighter II
Super Street Fighter II
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Street Fighter II Turbo Hd Remix
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter Alpha II
Street Fighter Alpha III
Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact
Street Fighter EX
Street Fighter EX2
Street Fighter EX3
X-Men vs. Street Fighter
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
Street Fighter III:New Generation
Street Fighter IV
Super Street Fighter IV
Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition
Street Fighter x Tekken

…are. You. Fucking. Kidding. Me.

Ok, so it’s one thing to have this many games and innovate throughout them. It’s a totally different thing (in other words, a bad thing)to have this many games, and innovate maybe only once or twice. And I’m not talking about graphics, aesthetics or shiny new characters, I’m talking about gameplay.

And which ones have done this? Only one comes to mind, and it’s Third Strike and it’s parrying system. That’s about it. And this is why SF is one of my least favorite fighting franchises.

Does anyone else agree with me, or am I shooting in the dark here?
[LEFT]EDIT: Sorry, I don’t know what’s going on with that font…please ignore that. Dx[/LEFT]

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you really didn’t want the font like that.

But yeah, I pretty much agree. It’s really no surprise. Mega Man X was basically the actual sequel to any given Mega Man game before in terms of gameplay. Capcom milks things; it’s water under the bridge for me really.

Just waiting for someone to bring up COD, now…

That’s not a Capcom property, though…or a fighting game.

Anyway, companies in general just do what works until they are forced to by lack of sales or fan demand.

Indeed. People don’t realize their power as a consumer. These companies that we criticize for throwing out the same games year by year, only do it because we keep buying their shit.

Then who should you be mad at?
The company…or the gamers that supports the practice?

Look at companies like Bungie. Even as popular as their Halo franchise is, every game they’ve released has taken the franchise to a whole new level, usually in dozens of amazing ways.

So really, it’s both the consumer and the company’s fault, I guess you could say.

ST changed things up, still by far the best SF game they’ve ever made.

Don’t expect things to change now that videogames are a multi-billion dollar business. Videogames also cost vastly more to produce than they did before, companies aren’t willing to risk money on creating new franchises when they could just make the same games.

Yeah, like I said, Capcom.

How’s Konami on that? Castlevania and the state of their MGS series was always good in my opinion, other than the oversaturation of SOTN clones for portable systems for Castlevania.

Atlus and SNK are quickly becoming some of my favorite game companies. I want to know how much less they make than Capcom and Konami.

You missed some…
and I wouldn’t count the crossovers, honestly.

Let’s see:

• SF: since 1987
  • King of fighters: since 1994

kof 94
kof 94 Re-bout
kof95
kof96
kof97
kof98
kof 98 ultimate
kof99
kof2000
kof0221
kof2002
kof 2002 unlimited
kof2003
kof XI
kof XII
kof XIII
kof maximum impact
kof Neowave
Without Vs series

• Tekken: since 1994
    Tekken 1
    Tekken 2
    Tekken 3
    Tekken 4
    Tekken 5
    Tekken 6
    Tekken tag tournament
    Tekken tag t. 2
    SF X Tekken
    Tekken: Dark Res.
    Tekken 6: Bloodline
    Tekken Hybrid

• Mortal Kombat: since 1992
    Mk
    Mk 2
    MK 3
    Ultimate Mk 3
    MK Trilogy
    MK 4
    Mk Gold
    Mk Special Forces
    Mk Deadly All.
    Mk Deception
    MK Armageddon
    Mk Collection
    Mk vs DC universe
    Mk (2011)

• Soulcalibur: since 1998
    SC1
    SC2
    SC3
    SC Legends
    SC4
    SC Broken Destiny
    SC5

Even Blazblue, appeared in 2009, already has a sequel. And you have to take into consideration life span/ popularity.

Ok, but what I’m getting at is that only one or two of the Street Fighter games have done something new, different, or innovative. And yet look how many there are.

ITT: people who don’t understand arcade games.

I´ve mostly played RPG´s, MMo´s and alot these arguments here seem to be the same, for example Blizzard and the whole WOW thing. I havnt stopped playing those typ of games, but I Have REALLY become hooked on SSF4, I find it really enjoyable and additive, but ofcaurse since I play it on the pc, You dont get that many fighting game choices´except for the SF series. If they started to produce say, MK of Tekken for pc, I´d have more to compare it to. IMO I don´t mind the many titles, as long as they are good quality, and enjoyable, just because an idea is “New” does´nt make old ideas any worse … just my 2 cents :slight_smile: