Is it just me or Seth kinda sucks wen it comes to consistency

Who said Seth needs help?

The thing is that Seth is a one trick pony.Hes zoning and footsies suck but he gets the best vortex and mix up game… now the main problem with that is ofcourse the health and the fact he MUST take chances but also you can’t simply play charcter match ups with him. You need to play you oponet more so then with any other charcter.You can get sooo fucking randomed out with Seth.You can’t have a solid gameplan like with most other chars and from that come the consistency issues.

I actually think Seth is very, very balanced taking everything in to account (B+/A like I’ve said before).Hes no Akuma or Viper thats for sure.

95% of the playerbase in this community can be placed in two categories: Those who want to do damage/press buttons, and those who don’t want to take damage/passive play. Their character choice will help you figure out what kind of player you’re against most of the time, but that isn’t a science since some people play top-tier like their emulating molasses.

Point being that if you find someone who is in Category 1 (Do Damage/Press Buttons: i.e. Cammy/Akuma/Sagat) and you’re Seth, then say “Fuck it” and DP. Even when you don’t like the idea of DP, you fucking DP. I’m sorry, but the biggest reason shit goes South for a lot of Seth players is because they want to actually play the game like it’s supposed to be played, but chances are, you’ve eaten a ton more random DPs than you dish out yourself, that’s because of your low damage/HP. Everybody knows Seth has to hit another character 1-3 times as much just to do the same amount of damage.

Category 2 players, those that like to take less risks/choose their openings will be those players that recognize your set-ups faster. Why? Because the less buttons they are pressing, the more they can focus on reading you. Know what you need to do? Become the most dyslexic Seth you can. I’m not saying don’t maximize your combos/damage opportunities, but sure as hell don’t do anything you’ve seen on a Youtube video (chances are, they’ve seen all of the popular tricks). Get into the habit of going Full Poongko/Retard and just bang shit out.

There is the other 5% of gamers that are very skilled/adaptive, you’ve seen them because they generally place high in tournament on a consistent basis. They don’t just make it there because they have a good flow chart. They made it there because they manipulate their own play style to destroy people, it’s what most people call “good reads”. They realize they just have to tinker a few things in their normal routine on most opponents and it looks like their psychic because they are simply get the hit confirm everytime. There are even Category 1&2 players that have a bit of adaptability, but they aren’t nearly are competent at doing as the high tier. You’ll see them go hard and do damage, but then flip a 180 and turn into a cold turkey in a turtle shell.

Establish how to identify Category 1(Do Damage/Press Buttons), Category 2 (No Risk/Passive play), and Category 3 (Adaptive). Once you figure out what kind of player you’re playing against, then look at their character, then play your motherlovin’ game.

I’d agree, Seth requires more luck than most other characters simply because of his lower margin for error than most but I think it goes both ways; you can have one bad read and go from dominating to dead, but then you can also have a lucky guess or two that gives you the momentum to decimate your opponent. In the long run and over several games it should all balance out, but obviously for tournaments this can be a limitation of the character, especially in single elimination.

That’s not to say Seth’s all luck based though, he has so many option selects, set ups etc. I think he can be a lot more solid than most people give him credit for and also why he can be so scary in the hands of a good player, but where he does have take risks he will come off much worse from a screw up than most.

Bottom line, Seth’s such a unique character, if he fits your play style best it doesn’t matter; play him and you’ll get further than you would with others despite his flaws (same goes for most characters).

density: Poongko’s lower placing this year at evo I think is more down to the greater match up experience so many players now have against Seth compared to 2011, which I’d say has, ironically, a lot to do with ‘the rise of poongko’ in 2011. At evo 2011 he played fantastically, but if you ever re-watch those matches there are many points in a great number of his matches where his opponents take a lot of damage for mistakes only attributable to them not knowing the match up well.

Lower placing? Did I not watch the right EVO? He got 7th (tied with Dieminion). I guess it would seem like he got a low placing because on day 3 Poongko vs Xiaohai was the first match, and it was over in the blink of an eye. It didn’t seem like it was Poongko playing. It seemed like he was playing tentative and extremely careful. About 50% more “fuck-it” and I would definitely say that Poongko would have at least eliminated Xiaohai. Even Chen was able to see that Poongko wasn’t playing like his normal self, and he is an idiot.

7th is lower than 3rd.

poongko is the only top seth, and back to back evo top 8 is a lot more consistent than most other top players.

if you go by matchup numbers seth is not #1 in the game, but just the fact that he can overwhelm any player with any character at any time in the match makes him the best character imo.

especially at medium level playing against seth can make you feel really helpless and you have to guess a lot against him thats why he gets so much hate. and I am definitely one of those haters, dont like the whole concept of that character.

poongko is NOT the only top seth

ok, so which other seth won or placed near top in international majors?

doesnt matter how good they do in youtube videos, nobody else has proven they can go the distance with seth in a stacked major

Who are these other Seth’s out there winning majors?

Problem X won his Streetfighter 25thaniversary Major in Europe with Seth! Agsinst cammy.

Jesus I come in here looking for Seth knowledge, and all I see is guys bitching like the damn Cammy forum.

i feel you

Every character can look e-mazing, just like every character can look like garbage. It’s all the player and the choices they make that sways the tide as to which side of the pendulum these characters fall on.

As the game ages, I highly doubt Seth will remain top 3 or even top 5. There are so many top level read-based players that if they read a Seth twice, most likely he’s dead, where as Seth has to read you 2 - 4 times as more.

While statistically that’s true in terms of damage out/vitality, the opposing player has to read a lot more than you as a Seth player do.

I’ve had multiple matches recently where I literally had a pixel of life left versus 70%, and came back to win those rounds because the players themselves change with the amount of life, mentally I mean.

It’s all about how composed you are, what risks you’re going to run with, and how successful those actions you take may add up to be.