Iori vs. Blanka/Bison

i agree fully with orochi here…
although those vids are AWESOME, they are only good for blocked blanka balls.
what do you do with someone who is a jump-in RH or jump-in MK type player???

Anti-air custom?

Blanka vs. A-Iori is almost impossible for Iori. N-Iori is a much better character, but if you are already using A, here’s what to look out for:

RC Electricity

Grab it. Everyone in the game can throw the electricity, ESPECIALLY if Blanka is doing “hop forward, electricity.” Just-sit-there-Pikachu is kinda harder, but there is still a range for you to grab it. If all else fails, roll in, activate and special grab. :stuck_out_tongue:

LOW Jump Roundhouse

A lot harder to deal with than regular j.roundhouse, but you can still CC it.

Crossup forward

Iori can hit crossups with close s.roundhouse, close s.fierce, and the Crossup DP. For Crossup DPs, walk into the crossup and then roll the joystick to the opposite crouch (what would have been defensive crouch). So if Blanka is jumping over you from left to right, walk left then roll it down to d/b and press punch.

You mainly want to keep the pressure on Blanka with Iori. Do so with RC Rekkas and lots and lots of close up jabs and shorts. Roll in, c.short, s.jab x2 or 3, c.short, Rekka is a pretty good GC sequence. Also, if you find yourself just a bit outside of Rekka range, you can do twd.strong into Rekkas.

Gunter, y do u feel n-grove iori is better then a-grove, iori has some really useful CCs

Easy as hell way to counter a blocked Blanka Ball (run, c.roundhouse), low jump mixups deal with his problem matchups like Chun and Bison (AND Blanka) a lot better, he still has RC rekka, and he has an almost 8K damage level 3 combo off of close s.jab.

Blanka isn’t giving me any trouble anymore, and bison is now laughable to me.
Against blanka i just do everything i can to get in close. Then comes the low jab/short pressure, mixed in with lots of throws untill other guy gets smart and stops turtling. Iori’s command crossup is very nice against turtling blankas. And when I’m ready to end it, special grab activate CC and let the low roundhouses rip. Ducking roundhouse is the all purpose blocked blanka ball counter in case your opponent feels lucky and tries that.
Bison I just stay away from, if their dumb and do a long distance psycho crusher, ducking roundhouse after you recover block stun works well. And once I have him on the ground, I play him like blanka with the pressure game and throws.

Ok… I’ve played Iori basically since this game first came out… and both Blanka and Bison are EXTREMELY hard matches to win. So is Honda btw. All of the characters can hit Iori from fireballs, can outpoke him, and can stop his jumpins fairly easy (if they aren’t knocked down).
So, basically, when they just sit there… Iori has VERY limited options of getting in.

(Low jump semi solves this problem)

Stuff to know though:

Against Bison:

Iori can easily punish any 2 hit Scissors with low short or low strong into Rekkas. This knocks Bison down.

Unless Bison RC’s Something (most of which isn’t safe) he has no wake up game at all w/o meter. Mixing up wakeup scum gale and stand short tick into scum gale pretty much wreck shop against bison. That’s IF you knock him down.

Bisons crossups are pretty wicked, since they can come from a mile away. Try to roll away, or block and hope he goes for a scissors.

Against Blanka:
Low Strong beats alot of Blanka’s moves… notably the slide and (i think) low strong.

Since Blanka has no non RC Wakeup either w/o meter, knocking him down is an important thing to do. IF you’re opponent does RC, try to either bait it (the ball) or throw him out of it (electricity).

against both characters, throwing a strong Fireball after an Anti Air Low Fierce is REALLY important. It lets you close in and keep the pressure on.

Oh, btw, I’ve always played Iori in C Groove, cuz I like his lvl 2 cancels. While I’m sure he’s good in A groove, since I can’t do the DP Guard Break Custom… it’s kinda pointless to pick him.

Bison can escape with a teleport on wakeup, create distance between himself and Iori, and basically sit there and force Iori to try and knock him down again (not an easy thing to do, as you know).

What’s the exact trick for non-run Iori to smack Blanka back after blocking a ball? I know Iori can block high at the very last second, then walk up d.HK, but this hasn’t been the most consistent method for me (especially when under pressure).

There should be a move you can kara cancel to land a single rekka ken. I tried kara d.HK, didn’t work so good. I also tried to kara f+mp, but I keep getting d.MP instead.

Help? Anyone?

?

how well do roll canceled grabs work for going through roll canceled elec?

?

Since you never have to RC a grab to beat electricity, RC’ing it would work better now, wouldn’t it? :smiley:

.:evil:

lol his command grab beats it out huh. im the only one in my home tow that roll cancels so i cant practice little things like that much
and pleaseshare media sites:D

I play bison too… and wake up teleport as a reversal is HARD. Either the timing is funky, or it’s the combination of 3 buttons + DP, or you have be REALLY precise in order to do it. I practiced in training mode against bison’s sweep… and I got hit ALOT. So, safe to say that only uber leet bison’s who know the matchup will do that. I know so many people who don’t even use his teleport. But in any case… Iori’s best bet is to go for it, since if bison teleports… Iori can’t do jack anyway.

KXCJ

If you’re in a non run groove, that means you’re in 3 grooves

C: Any level Maiden Masher… Lvl 2 works best, due to damage for meter ratio.

A:See fuck blanka video

P:Try to parry it.

W/o meter, The RH trick and the kara canceled rekka (i think it’s from F+MP) are you’re only options.

Non RC balls can be jabbed out of pretty easily.

IF you’re running into a blanka who’s just doing RC balls all day…

(I started my Iori against an RC blanka at ECC… I lost the fight. Then I figured out what to do)

You can do several things.

1. Work yourself to the corner. Airblocking a ball in the corner makes Blanka bounce funny, enabling you to Stand RH him.

2.Jump over the ball on reaction, and cross him up after he goes under you (with B+LK). This is an old school trick. This also works best w/ Iori in the corner, b/c blanka will stop the ball once he gets to the corner regardless. Then Blanka will be in the corner, where he can’t ball at all.

1. Kara cancel Fierce->roll. Throw out a fierce and cancel it into a roll (i’m pretty sure this works)… that way… you get a tiny bit of meter for rolling. Helps if you need the meter to punish Blanka.

Hope that helps

oh. Orochi… can you consistantly RC his Scum Gale? If you can, you’re the best ever… cuz I haven’t heard of anyone who can do that. I remember someone saying that even BAS said it was impossible to do consistantly in a match. I’m pretty sure if he could… Iori would own for free.

You don’t need to cancel anything into rekka. You just need to time it right, and do a late high block.

Yup, that would be me.

I’m sorry if I was kinda a poor sport about it, but I really hate roll canceling. It ruins alot of the strategy that makes SF so good. Sux that I like the game so much otherwise.

But yeah, I didn’t really know what to do w/o meter. I’ve never run into that matchup where I didn’t have at least a level 2. Random chance of starting against an RC blanka in a one game match… ugh.

I almost came back in that fight too. Freaking one game match leaves no wiggle room for an error like that. I thought of how to beat that RC ball w/o RCing right after I lost, too… not to mention order switching would have helped.

Freaking Iori is my best character, too. He pretty much owned up in the other matches I played.

Umm… just a thought… why are you waiting for him to land after a blocked psycho crusher? You can hit him while he’s inside of you with any normal attack, w/ Iori preferrably cr.fp --> triple puch combo.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but just in case you don’t know cuz nobody has spelled it out yet. If Bison EVER does a psycho crusher (or a super one for that matter) and you block it, before the psycho crusher even moves past you and its animation ends, you can hit him. In other words, he’s inside of you in his lame ass superman pose and you simply press fp or rh and you’ll hit him. Yes, its that easy, just hold down block and mash on fp or RH if you have to and you’ll hit him as he comes out from behind you. With Iori, you can cr.fp —> triple punch combo. He’ll never attempt a pysho crusher on yer ass again unless he’s tryin to hit you out of the air.

everytime i am up against a bison or blanka with iori is kinda hard to hot them since bison u cant rush down with him since physco crusher is a bothersome and blanka u cant touch him since he always rolls,i want to chain with da 3 hit combo dat iori does and his ground special plus i use n groove…4 me n groove iori iori is good

:D :D :D :D

after blocking a blanka ball just do super