Info about the Seattle scene

Hello. I’ll be relocating the Seattle really soon (with the next month or so). I’ll be working a 1 year contract and I’ll be in the Seattle metro area for the next year. I am coming all the way from the other side of the country (Atlanta,Ga).

Anyway some questions.

My main game is AE2012, and I am one of the 10 people in America who likes and takes sfxt seriously. I also plan on getting to VF when its released. So it would be great if you guys have VF players.

Do you guys hold regular tournaments like randbats, monthly, weekly tournaments?

re there many gatherings in the city? Any arcades?

I won’t have a car while in Seattle, and ill be living in the Bothell suburb close my job. How easy is it to get around the city without a car. Is public transportation reliable?

What is the dominant game in the city? uMVC3, AE2012, 3d games?

Any Facebook group associate with this scene?

Thanx for your time. Definitely don’t feel shy about inboxing me.

Sorry if we aren’t allowed to make new post in the forum. But I didn’t see a Seattle thread, and I didn’t read any forum rules about posting. In the southeast group there is a rule against this, but wasn’t sure if its in effect here

Hi there, our forum is a bit confusing compared to other regions ^^;; To anyone that has any questions, don’t be afraid to PM me as well.

Tournaments
[LIST]
[]Tuesday: Gamebreakerz in Auburn (UMvC3 & AE 2012)
[
]Thursday: GameClucks in [Lynnwood](‘http://maps.google.com/maps?q=3333 184th Street Southwest, Lynnwood, WA&hl=en&hnear=3333 184th St SW, Lynnwood, Washington 98037&gl=us&t=m&z=16’) (KOF XIII, VF5FS, UMvC3, Skullgirls, AE 2012)
[]Saturday: Various monthlies (The Salty Runback, Seattle Foot Clan, Toe-Fu DOJO, Tech Hits, etc). The Salty Runback in particular is Seattle’s largest tournament with many traveling from out of town to make it (Canada, Oregon, Olympia, etc.).
[/LIST]
Arcades
[LIST]
[
]Gameworks in Downtown Seattle. It is not updated with **AE **2012. People still stop by occasionally and on Thursdays they have a deal for $10 which gets you unlimited plays during the night.
[]Full Tilt Ice Cream in Ballard has arcade ST, MvC2, and KOF2002. People meet up Thursdays.
[/LIST]
Casuals
[LIST]
[
]Wednesday, the Capitol Hill crew holds their own Comboratory for UMvC3, SG, MB and some other random games such as Arcana, TvC, CvS2, 3S, etc. You can find details on the Shoryuken UW group on Facebook.
[]Fridays we hold [casuals and danisens at the UW](‘http://forums.shoryuken.com/t/uw-thread-revival-casuals-gatherings-tourneys/105690casuals on campus’) alternating between AE 2012 & UMvC3 and KOF XIII & Skullgirls[.](‘http://forums.shoryuken.com/t/uw-thread-revival-casuals-gatherings-tourneys/105690casuals on campus[/url’) Once again, check out the Shoryuken UW group on Facebook.
[
]Saturdays, the Toe-Fu DOJO holds casuals (at least AE 2012 & UMvC3) from 9:30pm - late. You can find the schedule in the thread linked above.
[/LIST]
List of Games
AE 2012: Gamebreakerz, GameClucks, SRK UW, Toe-Fu DOJO
UMvC3: Gamebreakerz, Comboratory, GameClucks, SRK UW, Toe-FU DOJO
SFxT: GameClucks, Toe-Fu DOJO
KOF XIII: GameClucks, SRK UW
SCV: Fridays (visit the Seattle Thread on 8WAYRUN.COM)
MK9: Fridays at GameClucks (visit Northwest Mortal Kombat on Facebook)
BB: Biweekly meetups (visit PNW Blazblue on Facebook)
SG: Comboratory, GameClucks, SRK UW
T6: Varies (visit Seattle Tekken on Facebook)
ST, MvC2, KOF 2002: Thursdays @ Full Tilt
MB: Comboratory, SRK UW

While AE 2012 always pulls the largest numbers at The Salty Runback, UMvC3 is more active at all other tournaments. There was moderate interest in SFxT on release, but it has dropped greatly at this point.

For non-Capcom games, KOF XIII has really picked up after SFxT’s decline. The MK players are a bit scattered, but still try to meet weekly. Skullgirls also has a small following, but they are managing to hold casuals and tournaments for it anywhere from once to three times a week. Melty Blood is popular with the UW crew and they’re always up for games. Our BlazBlue scene is very strong and meets biweekly.

VF5FS has a lot of interest and a very helpful community. As for other 3d games, SC5 had a small, but active community, which has recently taken a hit as real life has caught up to them. There is an established Tekken scene with many eagerly awaiting TTT2. They still meet up for games, but there is usually no set schedule.

Overall, the Seattle scene has been in a bit of decline for a number of reasons, but there are still public events going nearly every day of the week. Our Facebook group (Northwest Street Fighter) has replaced SRK for most discussions. While we’ve gotten better at keeping the forums updated, it is still your best bet for finding out what’s going on.

Sorry for the wall of text.

tl;dr Small, but active scene with something going on nearly everyday. Join Northwest Street Fighter on Facebook to be kept up to date or introduce yourself to the scene or PM me if you’re looking for something in particular or have any questions.

Thanks Loz. That’s a lot of good info. I sent a request to join the facebook group. Not sure if they’ll approve me since my location has Atlanta still. Anyway you all sound like a friendly community and with a lot of good players. I may be a bit culture shocked coming from an East Coast scene. Hope I can find time to hit the weeklies for sure.

You should also register for NWM4!

http://northwestmajors.com/register

Thanks Mike. I’m away of NW Majors. Unfortunately I won’t be in the area until later in June, so I’m going to miss this unfortunately.

I’m relocating to Redmond WA too, on June 4. I think I will go to Northwest Major on the weekend, then go to work on the 4th. lol
Still looking for apartment. Redmond is god damn expensive.

One question, do you guys provide sticks for those people who don’t have it? I plan to leave all my heavy stuffs like TV, PC, Game systems, sticks behind until July.

Haha, this NWM is going to be great. You won’t regret it!

All events are BYOC, but most players are willing to lend their stick to people who need them. Only problem is that if enough players need sticks then we’ll be limited by the number we have ^^;;

Where are you coming in from. I haven’t found an apartment yet, but Bothell looks to be pretty cheap. In Atlanta to live in a decent apartment in a decent neighborhood it was about 800 to 900. Seattle it looks like 950 to 1000 a month for a on bedroom is normal. So its only slightly more than what I’m use to. Also the public transportation loons to be cheaper.

Too bad I won’t be able to make this. Sounds like a last.

Are you guys mainly a ps3 or Xbox city? I know about 90% of all tournament in Atlanta are held on ps3. Thus is mainly because ATL is a traditional Tekken and 3D city, and most of our established players are PlayStation pad players.

Just wondering. I have both systems, but I play mainly on Xbox because my ps3 stick are all broken

Mainly Xbox, but our 3d games are held on PS3.

Not certain about the history behind it. I’m sure Gameworks (stick as opposed to pad), Xbox Live, us being cheap, and Microsoft being nearby all reasons.

I’m from CA. I pay 700 a month right now. Redmond is like 1200+ because i want to live close to Microsoft. or take the Microsoft bus.

Who did you run with in ATL? And ya ricky kept telling me I needed to give up playing on a stick and get on pads like the rest of them. Atlanta is a different environment for sure.

I ran with everyone in ATL. I’ve been in the scene for a good minute andi know pretty much everyone. As far as Ricky aka Pokchop is concerned, he runs with the old East Point crew. Me, East Point, and a lot of other people were regulars at the Underground arcades. a very ghetto arcade that shut down in 2009. Ricky, Big Boi, M.E ATL Red, ATL Redd, Jay Killa 6, and Wing Zero Richard all came from down there. Aniken played at a different arcade though. I’m older than them, so I saw them all pretty much grow up.

As far as stick vs pad, they all play Tekken on pad. Even people like Ricky who plays a lit of other games on stick plays Tekken on pad.

Is there a best day for Marvel casuals/tournies? I’ll be coming into Seattle in about 24 hours (midnight on Sunday) and staying until the following Sunday and I’d absolutely love to get some Marvel in with you guys.

Thats where I met Ricky. I used to body him on TTT there and he’d get pissed. I knew ME Red ATL too and met RTD there. Met clint a few times but he didn’t remember me until last final round. Though he probably still knows me as that guy who looks like christian bale.

Tuesday at gamebreakerz is one of the better days. Its a weekly tournament that most of the top players go to even row shows up from time to time. There is also thursdays at gameclucks but most people don’t go to that. Mondays a few of the better players get together at Wenzel’s place. Best way to set something up is through the northwest streetfighter group on facebook.

Thanks I’ll join the group.

Cool. So you lived out in ATL for awhile. Ricky getting salty in Tekken doesn’t surprise me at all. That man takes losing in any game personally even a casual match in something he doesn’t play. But his drive has made him one of the best in the country in Tekken, and he’s a top player in almost every game that we run in ATL.

I’m personally not that great in Tekken, but been a casual players for years. People say in Atlanta you get the perception you’re worse than you really are because we have too many solid players. Hopefully I don’t suck as much in another area.