Im Trying To Learn Iron Man, Tips?

Okay so I picked up Iron Man today, and I loved him.
But, I have a hard time opening the opponent up, what I usually do is, Call Doom Plasma Beam, Dash Forward S, land, then c.L, c.M into my bnb. But I doesn’t work all the time. Can anyone help? My other team member is a variation between Hulk and Ghost Rider.

Correction! Call Doom Plasma Beam, JUMP, ADF, j.S, land, etc.

Don’t.

A common mistake I see people make when they pick up IM is to try and rush down with him. Especially if he is on point, there is no need to rush down with Iron Man and he is not particularly well suited for it. If you want to box dash at people all day I would recommend that you just play Nova instead. Iron Man on the other hand can play a strong defensive/runaway style with his space control tools (Unibeam for covering horizontal space and preventing forward movement, repulsor blast to AA and cover assists), long ass airdashes, and huge air normals that make him hard to punish when he is jumping back or airdashing around.

That said, if you have to open someone up with Iron Man, the key imo is patience. Iron Man is not a character who can just dash at people like an idiot and get them with high priority normals that randomly crossup, ala Spencer’s zipline or Nova’s box dash H. I find it’s more effective to cover your approach with assists and the occasional projectile, with the goal of getting to about midscreen. Once you are at this range you can super jump forward then quickly ADD and come down with an air normal. This is IM’s most effective way of getting close in my experience as it functions as a ghetto tri jump with the added benefit of going over almost anything on the bottom half of the screen. Once you are close your objective should be to successfully call an assist to cover you while you do airdash mixups or just general pressure tactics (this would be the time to box dash S imo, if they are blocking drones, for example it’s easy to cross them up by box dashing over them).

Of course, this is all just in my personal experience with IM, and I’m far from being a tournament player or anything, so take anything I say with a grain of salt. If this stuff doesn’t work for you, then it’s probably just because you’re playing better people than me. Either way, you definitely need to develop some kind of game plan beyond box dash S, while that is probably IM’s most effective derp/spammy tactic, it is still not going to cut it against most people.

I’m far from the best Iron Man around, but from what I know, flight mode is your best friend. You’ve got quick activation for mixups, escapes, and cancels. Add that to your good projectiles (as explained above), and you’ve got the basic tools to get comfortable with.