I'm thinking of starting up an old school SF archive of classic content

Hello all

I know most people never think about this but it’s scary to me to think about how easily the legacy of old school SF games could be lost.

What gave me this idea was laakuma (aka Jeff Schaeffer) who originally shared his own history of the scene but deleted the videos. It was only super lucky that this content can still be seen today thanks to an SRK forum user who downloaded them from these very forums about 11 years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-EacMqin9k

Other quick examples of amazing channels are Guoguodi and psychorarity which I believe have the only remaining video content for hundreds of matches (try finding the Daigo vs Jeff Schaeffer set anywhere else for example).

Imagine if these channels randomly get suspended due to some weird content id system YouTube puts in place or the owner of the account just deleted it randomly like Jeff did. I know it sounds childish but I don’t like the fact that in say 5 years I might not be able to see the 1994 SSF2 tournament finals in which Mike Watson safe jumps Jesse Howard and the crowd call bullshit. It’s not a world I want to live in.

My first plan of action is going to be compiling a list of “essential” content and think about mirroring it to places like mega and google drive.

Ideally I’d like to have the original raw files because as most of you know, YouTube’s compression was a complete joke in the early years that has totally destroyed some of the content and people not knowing how to deinterlace video.

Thank you and let me know your opinion and any ideas you have

@LAAkuma @oldschoolsf

Nice