I'm sitting here trying to figure out the design philosophy for Elena and coming up completely blank

Holy shit. I had to log on srk for the first time in years to post this.

I don’t know why the collective of Elena players is so whiny, but you guys should really work more with the character before you dismiss her for being unplayable. I don’t know what you expected, she’s a good character with plenty of potential. Justin wouldn’t be playing her if she wasn’t. She’s a pretty basic character that you have to work with and play real street fighter with to see results, so if you’re looking for an autopilot character you probably won’t find it in Elena. That being said, cr.mp is one of the best pokes in the game. Its like Rose’s but on crack. She also does have reset options. Give it more than a day before you cry your eyes out and dismiss her as a bad character.

It took until 2013 for people to realize gen was a character.

you’re welcome to contribute dude. the only things i’ve been pointing out are mechanics; these things are set in stone.

if X is unsafe, it’s unsafe. if you can’t cancel c.mp from max range into anything vs X character, that’s not going to change either no matter how many games justin wins. once we get the things we can’t do out of the way we can start trying to figure out if there’s a gameplan there without them.

EDIT: you know what i did write a paragraph kinda telling you off and saying no Elena is shit and i still think Elena is shit in many areas but there is one thing you said that is 100% accurate. We have not worked with the character enough and instead complain and you’re right now i wish you worded it better but this form of tough love is basically what we need so instead thank you cause i will go back into the lab until i find something anything that will make Elena shine she might now have great frame data but every charc has their gimmicks and their specialties so i will find it and exploit it. Just know that if anyone wins with Elena it is not because Elena a good charc cause she is not but because there was a good player thank you and i hope we got some great tech and strategy by the time you come back in a month lol.

Not trying to be arrogant at all, I just don’t want people interested in picking up the character coming to srk, checking it out, and thinking its a waste of time trying to make it work. (would have happened to me if I didn’t love her in sfxt so much). I think she def has some problems, and absolutely has some bad match ups, but I’m sure she is still playable. Most of the games I have played Ive been able to get so much milage off of her cr mp and focus. I think her st. lp is also good at dealing with divekicks.

Here is a reset I’ve been using though, I do this every now and then to get a big reset and no one has blocked it yet so as long as you don’t overuse it I think there is some use to it. Off of a hit confirm to ex mallet smash, cr lp cr lp cr mp cancel into hp mallet smash instead of whatever finisher you would use instead. Because its coming in off of a hit cr. mp there is a lot less time to hit something that would knock you out of it.

It’s funny how the only person that liked your post was It’sDaveyJay or it’s DJ… =|

Dude I played Elena for 2 years find safejumps anti rolls and other crazy tech in a game that was apparently dead. As far as I’m concerned this is not a playable character. The huge list of nerfs and the non existent fixes since her arcade release definitely made it so. The only thing top tier about her is her hurtbox. Hopefully there is another patch that will reward your perserverance. You don’t even have a focus break against Juri what kind of design decision is that?

I think all of you including JWong are just deluded by how cute her taunt 2 looks. >_>

Damn man take it easy on em! Jesus christ.

I definitely agree with what you said. Coming from SFxT she had a similar playstyle to her 3s iteration without being terrible. Honestly I’d quit my bitch if she got hitbox fixes and better normals and certainly a much better cr.lk make it chainable or make it +4/+5 but the way this character is now it’s ass.

Dude you already said your monologue a long time ago just let it go lol >.>
We get it you hate Elena now and went to Poison, we’ll try to figure something out to make her fun you can just being you

But it’s nice to vent. Every time I pick my character I see what could’ve been right over her face. And since this thread is mostly venting, I figure it’s appropriate here.

[details=Spoiler]
Also when did I ever say I hated the character? I love the character. I stuck with her in 3s and xT. That’s almost 17 years of history with a character. And that’s where I assume you don’t understand where I’m coming from on a fundamental basis. I’m not sure how long you’ve been playing fighters, but I mean picture it like this that year when all Ryu received was nerfs to his main tools and Daigo switched to Yun. He went from a character that fit him like a glove to an obviously stronger character. And that’s pretty much what sums up how I feel about Ultra’s Elena. I can still win matches with her and hell it’s a lot easier than Poison, but it’s not satisfying.

Each new character works within their design. Hell Poison has juggles off of her fireball which makes her zoning game incredibly rewarding and her corner frame trap game is still strong. Decapre has crazy mixups and great pressure. Rolento still has high mobility and mixups. Hugo has a long reach cr.mk that allows him to play his mixup game well and he lands a ton of damage. But Elena’s archetypical traits are weak. Hell she has 4 different variations of a DP. 3 of which don’t have invincibility. They removed it, which would’ve made her trade dp game strong, but instead it’s a gamble. She had a low that was a 2 frame link into itself, and now it doesn’t. Even little quirks like using cr.mk to make sure mallet smash doesn’t whiff is somewhat useless because you can cr.mp her. Her best asset IMO is that she’ll be a gateway character to better footsies and eventually people will pick up a more successful character once they’ve learned to play footsies well.[/details]

TL;DR I don’t hate the character I hate capcom for the last changes that made her significantly weaker, while ignoring her design.

The only fixes I would ask for are her LT and SS whiffing at certain ranges and completely against characters like cammy and yang. Also making cr.lk have at the very least an extra frame of hitstun and giving cr.hp back its cancellability.

I’m still fine with her as is though. There are ways to get around those faults. She will end up being a strong character in the long term, it’ll just take time.

I feel like EX Rhino has to hit crouching characters also needs to go with what you said. It is just too annoying because certain frames on focus attacks have a low hurtbox and it just whiffs I was in a match where a guy did RH on my focus and it just whiffed I was in the corner as well. Also make B+HK throw invincible frame 3-6 and airborne like it is now (6-28f) that way it’s a better anti crouch tech option and it won’t be too abusable. Give me those 4 changes and that would be perfect.

Yea, I’m slowly coming around on her. I’d be fine with everything you listed and maybe s.mk being a more consistent anti air. She never felt like a bad character just not very complete. I don’t see her being the best but that’s fine with me. She is the only character I find interesting to play with so I’ll stick with her.

Y

cr. hp cancel is one i would ask back
none of her special whiffing at all
everything else can stay the same if there any more then we might enter broken territory because everything else seems fine
EDIT: Just realized U1 does not give Opp meter lol

i say give elena some time hopefully things will change over time

was this an arcade nerf or an incoming nerf?

In the arcade she special cancel cr. HP but they took that out for the console version and it didnt really help us at all.

I’m assuming they took that out because of the insane damage she was doing with 1 meter with that cancel. If you check the kazunoko arcade vids, cr. hp xx rhino horn into ex scratch wheel did pretty ridiculous damage.

I would be 100% happy if they fixed her hitbox, added an extra frame or two to low short on hit, and made the hitbox of SS connect on everyone and only -3.

THIS, I’ve been lurking here ever since Ultra came out and I feel the same way.

Stop being such negative nancy’s, nobody likes a negative nancy.

From the few days I played her, I can say she’s looking like a spacing/footsie character. She doesn’t have Oki and she doesn’t really need it because mid range she’s GOD. So many options that lead to good damage or just control space really well: cr.mp, cr.lp, far st.lk and ofcourse EX Mallet Smash, good forward dash, insane backthrow range, a st.mk anti air that can stuff neutral jumps one character away.
I must admit I haven’t played all the matchups but this character is looking pretty strong so far.

Dude the thread is old no ones talking about this anymore we all moved on and just agreed to disagree, to each their own basically and to the best luck of anyone who plans to or is using her.

(Oops, wrong thread. Why can’t you delete posts…)

Elena was made for crouch-turtling. If her hurtboxes aren’t a mistake, then like a real life capoeira practitioner, you have little reason to move out of a crouched position. She may not be winning any matches in 20 seconds, but who cares if she will win by attrition anyway? Her blocking crouch is so minuscule in hurtbox that a variety of overhead moves completely whiff at all distances. This hurtbox goes even lower on her cr.lk. Let the buttons fly and force your opponent into a bottleneck where they have to find a means of getting chip damage on you from crouch and punish them with your deceptive hurtbox shenanigans.