I find maki extremely hard to play with

man,when i used to play alpha3 and discovered guy one day,i really didnt need to play with anyone else,i loved guy,he was too unpredictable and i had never seen many guy players so that put me at an advantage automatically cause noones used to seeing his moves.

well,when i get cvs2,i was dissapointed to see he wasnt on there,but i seen maki and i figured they play alike… WRONG,they dont play alike at all,and when i pick her,i get my ass delivered to me even by sucky hoe ass fighters like dan.i cant find her rhythm in playing with her,and i wanna learn her because maki is an anti-blanka and thats the kinda character i need.somebody tell me please,her flow of fighting or her style and i cant get the running slide slam correct.i always get tripped in the middle of my run…can someone help with this?

I tried to use her and I sucked. It takes a good amount of skill to play her, which I probably could if I had stuck with her. I had the same problem though, I couldn’t get into the “flow” of using her. I would like to pick her up one day again so this thread could help me out to.

Maki < Yun :smiley:

I use her in K-Groove and by no means am I the best but I just do lots of dashes and off the walls. Also don’t be afraid to do the Tornado (KKK) thing. It does indifferent amount of damage and has GREAT priority. LVL 3 Blankaball coming at you… KKK and its over. Just be sure to KKK at the last second cause it lasts a while and can get owned in the middle or end; only the start is really powerful.

i’m NOT the best with maki, but she’s one of my main characters for my team, the groove i use is k groove, for just defending. Like most people say, the just defend is good for gaining ur life back from using the kkk, but that’s not all, i find it really usefull when you do a lot of “flying” with maki, if you practice her a lot against people, you can use all her qcf running moves and wall attacks effectively, but that’s only if you have the patience to get used to her. and in k groove, if some of her jumping moves are really obvious.

for example, if you do a qcb+k, HK, qcb+lp(near wall), you will run backwards, jump backwards, and grab the wall and jump forward extremely fast so that you can dodge fireballs and other moves and jump kick them, but after a while, they expect it coming, that’s when you mix in just defend with it(have to get used to just defending in the air too).

on her qcf+k, MK, (sliding throw), make sure you put some distance between you, so that the feet barely touches them if they block or don’t block…cuz that move has a lot of lag

qcf+k, HK…only use it on characters that dont’ have good wake up uppercuts(ie, shoryuken)

qcb+k, lk…use this often, to try to make the opponent lose concentration…maki’s running throw moves and flying moves are very predictable if the opponent pays really close attention…

qcb+k, hk, qcb+lk(near wall)…mix this one with the one listed just above…for the same reason

qcb+k, hk, qcb+(MP, HP, MK, or HK)…those are her wall attacks, Punches do throw moves, while kicks do diving kick move…mix these up as well, 50% of them blocking of not block, so its a high chance for a hit, esp if you make them lose concentration

qcf+lp,…risky but if the opponent is really out of it…basically you run up to them…and you stop …and they’ll try to block…and you should just do a regular throw…

KKK…i dont’ recommend it unless ur trap in corner, or they are almost dead…

s. mk is a really good poke, and so is c.mk

she doesn’t have a good anti air, so just defend and throw is her best option if not then use c. hp i think…i dont’ use it…

even though maki is my best characters, i use her as ratio 1…and i bring her out first…the reason here is…if maki is lvl 2…and she starts running like a maniac…the other person will play very very pussy-like often…and abuse moves like tiger uppercut, or wait for you to jump in and they will use a stored up anti air super like raging storm…also since she’s ur ratio2 you feel more scared or tense to do risky moves that causes confusion if done successfully…

also…do not use maki as last character, cuz her play style is very scary to both sides…using her as last character will make you less agressive, when maki is a very offensive character…no matter how much life maki has left,…always play aggressive and
"semi-random"

as for her supers…i’m not great with linking it, but i’m sure i saw someone do a combo and link it into the qcfx2+k,k, super…one person used c.mk to link it…another one used standing fiece punch (distance one)…to link it…also…if you dont’ link it and they block the first few hits…a lot of people(usually dont’ play maki people) will fall for the last hit of that kick super…it’s a lil delayed, but you can’t counter it with a regualr hit…

iMO her punch super is okay but kick one is definitly better…

her 760 super…umm…i guess trip jump in the air and do the 760 when you land…(this super is also doable in the air…so dont’ do it too fast in the air if you want to grab them on wake up)…

for me…when i have rage mode on in k groove, i dont’ use a super…i continue with my strategy, and i have more damage and more def which is good…and for fun if i trip them and i ahve barely enough bar left…i’ll attemp the 760 super…

my team is maki(1)/zangief(1)/athena(2)

this works well because zangief has the incredible ability to jd, and 360 piledriver…and lots of life…and athena also has a command throw which you can do after the jd and other special things that i want to get good with, but this is maki thread

but really…the great thing about maki is…you can utilize the k groove’s jd…
i suggest getting really good at just defending in the air and on the ground…if you can…using maki well extremely piss off some people and amaze a lot of people if you can play her well…

for me…the only characters that i’m afraid of is iori, sagat…and some other characters that have extremely hard to jd uppercuts…i’m trying to learn to jd it all…so maki won’t ahve any disadvantage…

IMO, maki pretty much sucks without jd…doing jd’s makes the opponent thing twice about attacking you which lets maki go more offensive

i hope my maki ideas helped out…

Dude! Maki’s cr.hp is one of the best anti air normals in the game… this move owns esp Blanka and Sagat j.hk. This move will beat pretty much every jumpin. Try it. This is her main anti air, st.hk works also against jumps closer in.

Actually this move (qcf+p) is a good poke, the lag on the lp and mp versions is not too bad if u distance correctly. Works well as a meaty attack if u can RC it, and also as a distance anit-air. Combine with cr.hp, st.hk, and KKK, Maki has sooo many anti airs. JD into throw is way too risky, what if they emtpy jump into cr.shorts!

If youre talking about qcf+k, lp (run then stop) then, yeah, throw is the best offensive option, unless you’re fast on the stick then you can do the grab super! You play Zangief, so u should be ok here, try it as the opp is waking up. Run, stop, 360x2 + hp. OWNAGE… but hard. Obviously, u can start doing the 360 motions while u are running, this makes it easier.

Another trick to break the opponent’s concerntration is this: start at full screen distance and then run forward, buffer this directly into backwards run, repeat! Funny as hell! If you manage to catch them in the end with a sliding grab, just laugh! Dont do this if they have a Blanka Ball charged or a lvl s3 uper… getting caught by Honda’s headbut while running backwards is just too funny as well. Meh, try it once in a while.

Personally, my Maki has trouble against Sagat and Blanka cr.fierce. Her st.mk and st.mp are ok pokes, but not in the same league as cr.fierce. In this situation she has trouble getting in. I try to play a hit and run style, with a lot of run stops (trying to bait a tiger uppercut), and qcb+lk against the wall. Cr.hp when the opportunity arises, maybe some off the wall qcb+lp into crossup mk + combo of choice… but Maki has problems against turtling characters in my experience.

jd throw is risky yes i agree, but from paying to much attention to my running moves and switching it up…i never really think about defensive anti air like the c. hp…that’s why i dont’ use it…

something i’m trying to work on is…when they jump at me…i do a qcf+k, and when i get under them i do a qcf+k(it’s actually qcb, but i ran to the other side…) then do a lk…
what’s suppose to happen is they jump in, i run under them, then instaneously run back towards them after i pass under…and do the slide grab…haven’t had any luck on it because i just started trying it today, but i think it’s a good idea if you are cornered and they jump towards you…

tried it…only works if the opponent seriously lost concentration…else they jab me…what i try to do instead is trip, throw, what not to knock them to the ground…during their wake up…i do the qcf+k +180 turn, lk + 180 turn, 180turn+P…this will result in the 760 super right next to them…(since i use k groove it’s always lvl 3 so i get invincibility for a few frames)…
few notes on that strat is…doesn’t work on people with uppercut wake ups…i’ve tried it…what happens usually is…they do the uppercut…i grab(miss), then the bottom part of their uppercut hit box catches me…and i get hit by the uppercut regardless that it’s a lvl 3 super…works well on people who lack uppercuts (but rarely anyone uses those kinds of people)…

maki vs sagat is a bad match up for maki…i’m still having problems beating this one c-groove sagat player…

i kno this isn’t a zangief thread…but people are starting to avoid my jd into piledriver strat…does anyone kno how they are doing that?

never mind…i was trying it out, the only thing i CAN do is run under them, then run back (but with a qcb+k command)…but then i can push hk…and jump back again…and then do the wall dive kick…which is weird but i’m gonna try it out… against people…

Haha I’ll have to try that anti air tactic… yet more style to add to Maki’s playbook.

Prolly easier to just cr.hp tho :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Check No Defence’s Maki thread. I added some tricks I got from my Japanese friends too.

You can also anti-air with jumping roundhouse almost like Blanka’s pimp slap if you got the reflexes for it. Your best bet is a very deep KKK though, it’s anti-crossup as a bonus.

That thread also has my quasi famous opponent-wake-up-you-land-a-720-super trick.