I am new to Skullgirls

Hello everyone, my name is Verstande and I am new to Skullgirls.

I have come to account that I do not understand any move whatsoever from fighting games as I am fairly new to them, especially of the similar types with Street Fighter and the Marvel layout.

If someone could please tell me what all these buttons mean, and if there is a guide for this already, please let me know. I have a fight stick with 8 button layout.

Also, I am trying to learn Filia but I went to the combo section of the forum and I have no clue what the buttons mean. I am also having trouble knowing what is a combo and what is not, for example this: st.LP, st.LK, st.MK, st.HP,
j.LP****, j.MP, j.MK xx airdash, *
j.MP, j.HK*****, *
st.LP, st.MK, st.HP, *
j.HP
*** xx airdash, *
*j.LK, j.HK, *
*OTG
cr.LK, st.MK, st.HK xx qcf.P***********

I don’t know what Lp st MK or any of those symbols mean, and if someone can point them out I would really appreciate it.

Last thing I want to say is thank you for your help in advanced, and hopefully when I am good enough I will play tournaments at my local area to have fun and enjoy this game.******

j.LP is a jumping light punch. The part before the period is the state your character should be in, and the part after is the button you have to hit. A typical six button layout on an arcade stick is as follows:

LP / MP / HP
LK / MK / HK

st is standing, cr is crouching (some people just use s and c, either way it doesn’t make a difference). A comma means to combo the two moves, and xx means to cancel. With this knowledge that combo should now be slightly more readable.

I recommend reading Sonic Hurrican’s section on combo notation to learn more.

Thank you, I now have a general understanding of the notations.