HULK STRONGEST THERE IS! - A guide on how to succeed with Hulk

Good idea, but this is a very rare exception. The imagine the only reason it was overlooked is because so few players use Captain America. I went through the rest of the cast mentally and I think the only other characters that would even stand a chance at doing this are Jill, Spencer, Captain America, and Deadpool.

It depends on whether or not Jill’s Arrow Kick can reach to perform the wall bounce for her.
It depends on whether or not Slant Shot can grab at that distance for Spencer.
And lastly, it depends on whether or not Quick Work can reach AND flip them high enough that the Gamma Wave doesn’t hit them and prevent Hulk from comboing any further.

Honestly, I don’t think any of the three will work, but I’ll try them out later.

None of the three worked. Captain America’s shield is a unique exception.

So I’ve been noticing that hulks gamma charge 2nd can go through some projectiles, I’m thinking it only goes through ones that aren’t multi-hitting. Something of interest at least, also I’ve noticed that with gamma crush it doesn’t always hit people who are crouching on start-up. sometimes it misses people who are hitting low as you start it off.

Gamma Charge 2nd has 1 hit of Hyper Armor, so yes it can go through single hit projectiles.

I’m not surprised about the Gamma Crush thing though.

Let’s talk moving past advanced guard with hulk, with hulk having limited mobility once he’s in he needs to be able to stay in on people.

Well, Hulk doesn’t exactly have many options here. He can Gamma Charge, Gamma Charge AA, and call a lockdown assist to beat advancing guard.

Wouldn’t hulks j.M cr.L cr.M Gamma charge AA combo be able keep him in there with with an assist? I’m thinking we should focus on possible combo’s that can work past advanced guards.

When my opponents spam advancing guard, I stagger my blockstrings. This gives them a backdash, which results in a free hit. Free hit = death for around 80% of the cast.

To get in after a successful advancing guard, just dash jump (or plink dash) to them again. j.S will reach. Lockdown assists are very important too.

I’m confused as to what you’re wanting to discuss. Yes, if you’re using an assist that’s good at eating up advancing guard, then pretty much all of Hulk’s blockstrings will keep him in there. But if you want to keep the pressure up without an assist you’ll have to do a Gamma Charge (either version) to move through advancing guard. The only other thing you can do is try to bait a poorly timed advancing guard input like what Astaroth mentioned above.

Thats pretty much all I wanted to talk about, ways to keep hulk in there if your opponent just advance guards everything you do. Since getting in with hulk can be a challenge at times and having to go through all that work just to be pushed back is just an annoyance to deal with. I don’t like the idea of doing gamma charge to get through advance guard since its unsafe on block unless you have meter burn.

I left out one of my strategies for advancing guard. The opportunity doesn’t always arise, but if I get advancing guarded on a j.:s:, as soon as I land, I’ll dash forward, call an assist, jump cancel the dash, and j.:s:. They usually block it again, but now the assist is there eliminating the advancing guard. I often leave out the 2nd j.:s: depending on range so I can watch for an air throw opportunity (or tech if I need to).

I hope I didn’t leave any details out on that explanation and I hope that helps with your advancing guard troubles.

Added a little bit. Talks pre-match strategy and what I do in most cases. Mid-match coming later.

Feel free to post your strats at the beginning of a match.

I think its hard to say what to do in the beginning as it depends so much on your opponent. Are they crowding you? Are you crowding them? What character are they using.

Mostly what I like to do is hold up back while calling my defensive assist unless I’m feeling lucky in which case I’ll either tornado, air tornado, or jump over with the crossover s. I use to play a guy that ran Sent on point and against that I would do j.a but now he doesn’t usually use Sent on point anymore. Sometimes I’ll light gammawave at the start.

Unless your opponent has Tron or Haggar as an assist, you should be walking forward and starting pressure ASAP. One hit, and you’re golden.

I’ll definitely add the air tornado opening though. I’ve done it a few times, and it’s definitely a high risk/high reward start.

whenever I play against a zero I j.H it seems less risky then going for a grab.

When I play Zero, I usually go for a barely off the ground air throw. My team setup allows me to 100% Zero off an air grab, so it usually works out pretty well. I still do go for the ground grab / s.:h: option select though - Zero can hit through the armor only with very good timing, but if I call Doom assist simultaneously, he doesn’t get his combo. If he mistimes his air attack and gets hit by s.:h:, I can still :s: off of Doom’s Molecular Shield assist, so the whole situation is heavily in my favor.

Theres something i’d like to discuss concerning Hulk and thats corner pressure. Once you catch someone in the corner Hulks options are beast. If you land a combo on someone and they end up in the corner (somehow not bein dead) if they roll behind you out of the knockdown u can guess right with tornado throw mixups. If they roll and then jump up u can air tornado throw. Or if u wanna be a bit more safe if u think they’ll jump back and dont know that they will do u can dash back and j.:s: and keep pressure going. If u guess that they will stay in the corner u can keep pressure with AA gamma charges. Also u can attempt c.:l: into either st:h:, c :h:, st :m: into combos. If they block it u can bait out AA gamma charge at the end or horizontal gamma charge.

I would also like to add some options i do when someones characters is entering on the stage. If a character comes in and the person comes out swinging, j:l: will beat them out. So u can run up and do j:l:, j:m:, j:s: into combo. You can add a lil bit more but that’s just on the safe side. If the person starts to advance guard ur attempt at that mixup, the advance guard on the j:l: and j:m: doesnt push Hulk far, so u can land dash forward and immediately be in their face again or dash cancel into jump maneuvers. Mix in some good assists and you got a problematic Hulk for your opponent.

Just my two cents.

I find that j.:l:, j.:m:, j.:s: is unreliable on some characters. Because of character hitboxes, I find that sometimes, j.:s: doesn’t become active before I touch the ground. So instead, I prefer to just do j.:m:, j.:h:, j.:s:, just make sure you time the j.:m: so that the opponent doesn’t have an opportunity to throw it. This setup does more damage while being more reliable. If you really want to do j.:l:, then I believe j.:l:, j.:m:, j.:m: gives enough time to get a s.:m: to follow up while still providing enough time to hitconfirm so you’re not throwing out a s.:m: that’s going to get blocked.

A trick I like even more on incoming opponents: Be about one dash length from the corner, call Doom’s Molecular Shield assist. Dash into the corner so that you’re about 3/4’s of the way through the dash animation by the time the opponent shows up on screen. Crouch. This causes an ambiguous cross-up (in which I get to choose whether or not I’ll actually cross-under). Additionally, if the opponent comes out swinging, they might hit Hulk, but Doom’s rocks will definitely hit them in return and pop them up long enough for Hulk to follow-up. If they go over Hulk and get crossed up, Doom’s rocks will sometimes keep them in the corner, which means they are dead. If the rocks don’t know them back over me, I get a nice combo that ends them in the corner

Some notes regarding this tactic: I should probably explicitly test this, but incoming characters seem to have more forward momentum, the further away the side they are incoming from. I noticed this because I’ve tried using this mix-up just by crouching against the wall before and the opponent only crosses over Hulk depending on their hitbox. However, if I do the timed dash approach, I’ve been able to get all characters I’ve tried it against so far to go over.

I agree that Hulk has crazy corner pressure. I

ANTI PHOENIX STRAT

One OF THE BEST counters to most Phoenix players. Ask yourself what do many if not all Phoenix players do as soon as they come in? They superjump up back and start with their air tracking fireballs. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve taken out Phoenix when they do this with Hulk. So simple, all I do is gamma charge myself across the screen till I’m under phoenix which takes all of half a second then do hulks invincible air super. It goes right through her fireballs and will tag her almost 90% of the time because she will be in the animation of throwing her projectiles. If X-factored it will kill her, if not and she’s full health it will bring her down to about 10% so just dhc into your next character for the additional damage and the kill.

I can 2nd this strategy. I’ll do full combo into snap back, j.:s: as they come in (somePhoenix’s do an air dash up back as they come in and just immediately die). If they go for the air tracking fireballs, get under them, X-factor and Gamma Crush as F0xhound009 said. In tournament play, it’s doubtful that they will fall for this twice, but it should help you get at least one game under your belt.