Hulk is a cheap fuck

y’all done got trolled

(Before I say anything, let me note that I am a beginner who is bad.)

I know Hulk obviously isn’t the best, but he’s pretty effective against lower-level players like myself and perhaps OP as well. Some problems that I face in the Hulk matchup are the range of his s.H (I know it’s unsafe on block, but doesn’t it have so much range that you can’t reach anyways sometimes? It could be because I’m really bad though.) and when I try to turtle against his s.H, j.S, etc. attacks because I’m respecting his super armor, I just drive myself into the corner or leave myself vulnerable to Gamma Tornado.

Actually, I think someone said above that s.H > Gamma Charge away is not safe…? Do you just dash up to him and hit him? I would’ve thought he would be too far away…

What should I do to prevent this? (If it helps, I play Viper, Firebrand, or Felicia - not all on the same team!)

No, im not saying that Im trying to hit him while he makes an armored attack, Im saying that I successfully start a combo, I hit him he staggers like every other character does when getting hit and when the second blow of the combo is about to hit he can literally start using his armored attack even tho I had already hit him before he could do it. and once he does that he breaks your combo, its fucking unbalanced.

If he’s getting staggered (wait, Zero doesn’t have any moves that stagger…), then you shouldn’t be getting hit by him. You’re hitting him when he’s using his super-armor, plain and simple. No character in this game can break out of combos if they’re already in hit-stun, Hulk included.

That, or you’re mistiming the 2nd hit of your “combo” completely and he gets out of hit-stun fast enough to throw out an armored attack.

The usual preferred way to beat Hulk is keepaway. With Firebrand you can superjump, spit angled fireballs, fly and spit more fireballs. If Hulk gets close while you’re in the air, you can use the downward fireball to lock him down and try to go for a mixup. Be careful when using it though, the startup is pretty lengthy and the recovery is even worse. It’s a high risk move but it carries a high reward as well. Wallcling fireballs are also very good against him, they can be used to help you get in safely and start your rushdown. Be careful of getting gamma charged though.

With Viper you want to be using rapid seismos and the eye beam. The eye beam is great for shutting down assists and rapid seismos are almost impossible to get through if you have the execution for them.

I don’t know much about Felicia so I’m not going to comment on that.

In general I think the most important thing when fighting Hulk is to stay calm. If he gets in, you have to pick your spots carefully. If I block an s. H, I’m not going to try to punish it until I see what the player does after it. If he goes for an immediate S, that’s a free punish. Usually people go for gamma charge and depending on the followup, you have different options for punishing. If he charges away, you can just dash up and punish (unless there’s an assist blocking the way). If he charges forward, that’s also a free punish. This of course doesn’t apply if Hulk has meter because he can just gamma crush if you try to blindly punish him, so be aware of his meter and try to bait out the crush - that can also be punished if he doesn’t have meter for the DHC.

You are right that Hulk is very effective against newer players. If he gets his momentum going, he can often steamroll a whole team. Just keep at it and try to figure out the right times to attack him. Assists also make a big difference. Beams, projectiles, missiles and drones can ruin him if you use them correctly. Hope this helps!

No dude.
When I say stagger I dont mean like a special status, just the regular “ugh!” every character makes when he gets hit…I think its actually called hitstun? anyway point is I hit him once he gets his hit stun and then he can inmediatly start using his armored attack which ends up hitting me before I can land a 3rd hit on him to braek the armor, im not getting hit by his armor im successfully starting a combo and before you say “THEN YOU ARENT MAKING THE 2ND HIT YOU ARE GIVING HIM TIME TO RECOVER HURRR DERP” then I tell you you are wrong, I inmediatly follow up the combo, I hit him inmediatly, its bullshit, I believe every character of the game is always able to recover from the hit stun of the first hit of a combo but its useless because they dont have enough time to perform an attack or guard, but with hulk is different since he can rapidly do an armored attack. that’s my point, he can break off a combo and turn the tables on you.
dont say “no that doesn’t happen” because its happening right now, seen it bunch of times and I know what im doing, im not letting him recover from hitstun, im not rushing into his armored, yet I still get hit because he can still break free from combos like that.

You paid? …To have sex? …With the hulk? :confused:

-Starhammer-

OP got rocked.

That’s where you’re wrong. If that was the case, combos wouldn’t exist in this game.

You’re not actually performing a combo if you seriously believe that.

No, it wouldn’t mean that combos dont exist, as far as I know it only happens after the 1st hit, by the time you manage to hit an enemy 2 times he wont be able to come off, and even after the 1st hit, like I said, its useless, because no character has enough time to do anything, except hulk since he has an armored attack.

and I am chaining a combo, why dont you believe me? you take me for an idiot as if I wouldn’t know what a combo is or how to chain them, granted I dont make those huge combos but I know how to make basic- intermediate combos and im pretty sure that i’d realize if im not making a combo because my character would be derping around instead of hitting.the enemy

You either dropped your combo, or you don’t know what super armor is.

You’re wrong in the sense that combos get dropped after the first hit.

Using your logic, since the combo doesn’t actually work until the second hit, combos would not exist since every “combo” would simply be a series of first hits. That’s obviously not the case. Study up on the game more.

Are we… Are we getting trolled?

Thank you so much for the help! As a very bad player, Hulk is definitely one of my personal poor matchups, but I’ll take everything you said to heart! :slight_smile: (Thanks for making it character specific too!)

@Lightleggy: I’m sure you understand well what combos and super armor are, but maybe challenging the mighty Hulk Smash isn’t the best idea. While some characters, including Zero, can beat it with their multi-hitting attacks, maybe zoning and keepaway will be safer and more effective for you.

I get from your posts that you are playing Zero (correct me if I’m wrong), but Zero’s keepaway game with Hadangeki, buster, and his air mobility should be more than enough to beat Hulk. Hope that helps!

Either way, I’m having a blast. :slight_smile:

Forgot to mention, sH into Gamma Wave-L is not only safe, but doesn’t have the same pushblock flaw as AA-G.Charge. It isn’t really used often for obvious reasons though.

DUDE THATS NOT WHAT IM FUCKING SAYING.

Im saying that characters get out of their hitstun in the first hit BUT ITS USELESS BECAUSE THEY DONT HAVE TIME TO COMPLETE AN ATTACK OR GUARD SO THEY FALL INTO THE COMBO AGAIN. but HULK CAN BECAUSE HE HAS A VERY FAST SUPER ARMORED ATTACK…dont you get my fucking point? ITS ONLY WITH THE HULK, im not talking about any other fucking character in the game.

im not dropping my fucking combo im being very fast I can see the hits connecting just as I can see hulk making the armored attack after the 1st hit of my combo and yes I’ll fucking say it again im not dropping a combo im doing it in rapid and successful succession.

And I’m saying that you’re wrong. Characters are subject to hit-stun in combos starting on the first hit. Why would actual combos start on the 2nd hit? That doesn’t make any sense and is never the case in ANY fighting game ever.

So if you land a hit on Hulk, see him go through hit-stun, then he manages to throw out a super-armored move, that means that you didn’t actually combo him. You dropped it.

For clarification’s sake, just how are you starting your “combos”?

I didn’t read the convo, but from what I understand lightleggy is complaining because he gets super armored by Hulk. He inputs a move after Hulk inputs his slow armored moves (like St. H) and hulk basically eats the hit of the combo and smashes through him.

Your options are 1) use multihitting moves 2) block and punish Hulk 3) use assists to make you safe 4) use moves that you can rapid fire fast enough to beat Hulk.

sigh depends on the character. Sometimes with S light C light M medium (if their series is zig zag) sometimes L M M h sometimes M M h. depends, and like I said im hitting him before he can do anything yet he can still cast the super armored after I hit him the first time even tho I hit the second button immediately, and no im not hitting him after he already started the move.