Hugo frustration venting thread

Hugo having more range with his normals is simply not true. If you go into footsies you will use either ST. MP or ST. HP and the ranges on those are very comparable to many HK/HP on other chars and sometimes even less.

Especially ST. MP looks longer then it actually is. I mean just try it. Go up to a rolento on your max ST. MP range, then tell us how many ST. HKs you ate. If you had truly more range, then this wouldnt happen that often.

I need help. I play Hakan, but decided to main Hugo in this version. I had no problems doing Hakan’s oil rockets/dives. I figured, hey I should be able to just swap characters and do Hugo’s with no problem…WRONG!!! Every time I go for Meat Squasher, I end up jumping. For God’s Sake, throw me a freakin’ bone here people (in my Dr. Evil voice)

how do you guys manage to get people off you when opponents tend to neutral jump in your face and you dont really have any buttons to trade or really swat them out of the air" my backbreakers tend to trade by doing no damage. how do you deal with running into normals? im having trouble playing footsies with this character.

-EX Backbreaker should beat any neutral jump attempts.
-If they’re just doing it to you when you’re standing, s.HP should deal with them unless they have air moves with multiple hits. EX Lariat can work too (and give you a BB juggle for more damage), but if they time their move just right it can lose.
-If they’re safe jumping you on wake-up, use EX SPD to catch them as they land (Either EX BB or EX SPD will always work if they’re in range). You can also armor cancel EX lariat into UT (if they’re going for a meaty) or catch them with EX Meat Squasher as they land, depending on the timing they jumped at.

Basically, you have a lot of options against neutral jumpers as long as you have meter.

As for the “running into normals” part, unless my opponent has an excellent anti-air, I usually jump in from a distance where I can hit them with j.HP, but their AAs will miss if I do nothing.

St. HP is your friend, as is EX Backbreaker.

St. MP is a great tool due to its range and damage. I’m a fan of cr. MP as well, as it has slightly more range than cr. LP, so you can catch people off guard. You may also want to consider st. HP due to its overhead property + armor. You also have st. LK and cr. LK, both of which combo into LK Lariat.

Seriously, timing a jump cleanly over a bad fireball and being unable to smack them with j.HK is obnoxious. It makes his hurtbox SO FAT in the back. That darn backfat.

Get it under control Hugo.

I use j. MP to get over fireballs and hit the opponent. Been working for me so far.

The Juri matchup is literally unplayable.

I haven’t won a single match as Hugo today. I feel like a walking salt mine.

yesterday I finally managed to beat a gouken whom i used to lose to all the time… maybe i saved it / still have it in my battlelog, if so, im going to upload it. May be educational or helpful for some

edit:
but to stay on topic, hugo really can be tough, especially against the heavy zoners… Still have to figure out what to do against Guiles…
I mean, Juri is quite common right now, so you can get exp in the matchup… yet guiles are rare, good ones are almost nonexistent… yet even “average” guiles still beat my Hugo easily (at least it looks easy…).

I figured, it’s really just:
Always know your options!!

I tend to forget that i have cr.hk for a very fast overhead, or cr.hp for a really good antiair… st.hk is GREAT against neutraljumpers as well as easy to read/ anticipated jump ins.
It feels like im playing a limited character… but only because im not yet familiar with what he can do…
You really need a solid groundgame with hugo, most standing pokes thrown to you can be whiffpunished/ countered by cr.mk into setups for damage. And i mean… Hugo hurts… a lot.
Blocking a srk (not fadc) basically leads to 370-450 damage from Clap BnBs alone. Depending on screen position you could even punish for something around 650 damage with UT, m Clap, Ex Clap, U2.

When you get in, make it count.
A mistake I still do; not punishing hard enough… as a “former” gief main, i always punished with suplex or spd, depending if i want position or damage… With Hugo, it should always be damage. If you need to, you get perfect position through meatsquasher.

I finally got 5600 and then I ran into 2 goukens 2 juris 1 dhalsim and 1 Chun-li in a row.
Bye points, nice knowing ya. :stuck_out_tongue:

ouuuch… but hey, see the bright side, there was no Guile… ? xD

This right here, is the story of my life :(. Usually with some blankas and Vegas thrown in :frowning:

With Blanka you should just stay put and let him kill himself.

I main Poison.

I have to say came here to read up on Hugo and I happened upon this thread. I really have to say I don’t even enjoy fighting against Hugo online. Hugo has absolutely no chance at all against Poison, this is borderline 8-2 in my own opinion, a strong 7-3 for other people.

My condolences. Seriously.

I thoroughly enjoy playing Hugo so I don’t get frustrated.

Why isn’t cr.HP airborne. >.<
Wanted to do flashy against a Hakan player because I knew he was going to wake-up U1 so I thought: I usually use st.hk or cr.hk let’s try cr.hp for a change.

He U1’d me straight out of the ‘air’.

I get frustrated when i have an opponent on magic pixel. Hugo has no chip game.

EX Yoloriat? Claps?

None of these are fast enough and getting into the ranges to cancel off light attacks can get tough when your opponent hardens up.