How'd that happen?!?

[media=youtube]ZEx0jPAGA-s[/media]
It’s at the end of the last round; how’d SA I get full hits on Akuma?

well, first of all, ther reason why the fireball didn’t hit was (obviously) because of Q’s invincibility frames from the SA. I don’t really have a good explanaition to why all hits gets in, but if you hit your opponent when in the air (but not high at all) de SA kind of “teleports” the other player down to the ground and all hits gets in.

Randomness is right. Q’s SAI has full invincibility for the first several frames, so it will beat anything that doesn’t have more invincibility frames than it does (for example, Sean’s SAII has more invincibility frames, so if both supers start at the same time, Sean’s SAII wins). This means that moves it will pass right through moves that have no invincibility frames, like Akuma’s air fireball or any other fireballs, provided that the opposing attack is no longer around when Q’s SAI loses its invincibility; in other words, Q’s SAI goes through Akuma’s air fireball if timed so that Q’s entire hitbox is past the fireball when SAI’s invincibility runs out. In addition, SAI has the awesome property of sucking an opponent to the ground when you start the super when the opponent is still a little ways up in the air; if the opponent attacked or is otherwise vulnerable upon landing, the super connects for full damage, and if the opponent holds down while SAI is activated, he’ll be transported to the ground crouching for full crouch damage. Luckily, when Akuma does an air fireball, he’s vulnerable for a few frames upon landing, meaning he can’t immediately block or parry, so he gets supered.

To put it more simply, Q’s SAI goes through Akuma’s fireball and transports Akuma to the ground, and since Akuma can’t block or parry immediately after or immediately upon landing after an air fireball, Akuma takes full damage.

^Oh, cool, that clears it up, thanks.
So, um I take it it’s a ‘glitch’?

Nah, I wouldn’t say SAI’s plucking the opponent out of the air is a glitch, I would just call it a property of the super. Some other supers, like Alex SAI and Necro SAII, do the same thing.

^OK that clears it up then, and I have another question:-
I saw a Ryu vs. Q match vid and Q blocked a Crouching HK and countered with SA I, the thing is it didn’t seem to do more damage than if Ryu was standing; is this something to do with the frames of the sweep or something?

No, it does do more damage. Try it out in practice mode.

So does short CDB, jump jab reset into SAI become a good option?

No. SAI only sucks the opponent to the ground on a natural jump, not on a reset. At best you’d get two hits out of the super, and the damage would be less than if you’d done fierce slaps after the short c&db instead.

There is 0 recovery time when hitting the ground after being resetted. That’s why Alex’s SAI as an anti-air can’t connect after a reset even though it can connect if someone empty jumped in.