How well did kof games sell

only kof 95 and 99 were in usa for the ps1 i first saw kof 97 when i was 8 in 1998 and i looked all over for just 1 kof title and never could till 2000 when kof 99 was finally released so im sure it lost on alot of sales due to this not marketing in usa like capcom did anyways

sf usually sold pretty well kof were releaseing a kof every year from 94-2003 om curious if we could find the number of units sold ect id have to think they made somegood cash to continue to keep releasing games

i find ti weird that kof is by far the most played fighter on the planet yet apparently they go bankrupt kof 97 and 98 r insanely huge 600,000 people watched the kof 97 championships in china alone lol thats 4 times that of evo for just that 1 game id think if snk would go back and properly update kof 97 not like they did kof 98 um with only a tiny few changes that they could make some good money obviously people prefer the old classics not the newer games

They sold poorly as their ports at the time of their greatest relevancy were abysmal and Neo Geo AES was too expensive. They were mostly played in arcades or played on emulators like NeoRAGE.

What the Chinese like about king of Fighters '97 is what most other fighting game players hate. They enjoy the inherent imbalance and would undoubtedly skip the rebalanced version.

The King of Fighters '98: Final Edition offers so much more that it would be a bad investment akin to The King of Fighters '94 Rebout.

P.S. The recently released The King of Fighters '97 Global Match is unlikely to make any kind of dent in the market.

global match is that updated? i saw it on steam i thought it was just a tag they added on to it

It has an updated online functionality, but is basically a glorified ROM port with Fightcade-like features.

tbh surprised me that theyd even add kof 97 t steam im surprised even 98 went there nobody plays that sadly but china or asia and they have fightcade for free im the only person in usa who loves kof 97 lol since 1998 at 7 years old