How to Play Without counters?

Hi guys, I’m pretty new to street fighter and I have found that the characters that I have gotten on well with are Ibuki and kolin.
However, Kolin’s normals don’t feel naturally great and so I am at a loss how to poke, space and playing neutral with her.
Her counters are fun, but that feels like a trap for new players who will just die by trying to counter everything.

I would love to play this character, but I am unsure of how to play her with just her normals.
Does anyone have tips or a guide on how she should be played? (I am not referring to combos)

I’d say the best thing to do is to simply watch good players use her. There’s a buch of stuff in the video thread: Kolin Video Thread: Illuminati TV: Ice Ice baby! your source for all videos Kolin

As for the counter it’s a really good tool. Catching the opponent once or twice will make them stop buttons in certain situations (if they aren’t on autopilot) so it’s definitely something you want to pull out from time to time.

Use V Skill from a range.

Yeah nothing like going to the video thread and watching a few videos on Kolin. Most discuss her counters

Thanks for the advice guys.
I love the fact that she has counters, feel like it changes the whole flow of the game somehow when it comes to player behaviour.

They only thing I was struggling with was her neutral game and stubby normals. I feel like if i could find a way to adjust/get used to those things she would be a character I would like to sink a load of hours into.

I understand how you feel. I mained Cammy for a year and some change and went through all the bullshit this game has to offer. I learned to how to play SFV at a basic level. So going from Cammy to Kolin was really fucking difficult. I pretty much had to have a paradigm shift. I played in casuals for about a month just trying to get a feel for her range as well as combos.

My advice, practice whiff punishing with her s.lk and s.fp. Don’t think of her buttons like you would characters like Urien, Karin or Cammy. She isn’t like those characters at all. You’ll need to put in work to figure out the ranges she can hold down. Her ice hail is probably the best tool she has to lock people down, don’t sleep on that.

Also to get a solid feel for the character don’t forget to watching videos of high level players using her. Right now in terms of tournament footage there isn’t allot as she’s still rough but there are still players putting in work with her.

MAJOR BOY (Used to main Ibuki but moved to Kolin full time)

I wouldn’t consider him the best but if you want some dry basic bitch Kolin at a good level he’s great to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LvbNhcOCxQ

Duke78 mains Urien but hes arguably more solid than MB.

And of course the lord himself… Poongko lol

He’s crazy as fuck and allot of what he does only works well on high lever players. But he’s probably the deadliest Kolin.

Also shout out to @Windalfr the home town hero. He’s really strong too. Check out his Windoof account to see some of his Kolin matches as well.

Good luck out there.