How to fix Mortal Kombat

This kind of thread was hated on the old SRK, but now it’s kinda accepted…so…

I’ve done a lot of thinking, I like the style of Mortal Kombat. And the games are fun to dick around with. I wish they would be competitive, but unfortunately they just aren’t designed that way. Mortal Kombat 2 had a combo system that through flaws in programming allowed air juggles and combos, MK3 tried to make it competitive by forcing a dial-a-combo system that made it more approachable but hindered real game play.

1. 2D
  2. Mortal Kombat 2 gameplay style
  3. add Hit Stun
  4. More variation with “normal” moves
  5. 3 games and all had a very abusable Back+LK sweep…let’s change that
  6. back to block
  7. add super meter
  8. change run to FF instead of a button
  9. maybe a parry or just defend defense move
  10. less abusive LP spam.

No, it’s not.

And add Super Meter? Add parry or a JD move? See that kid? That’s why threads like these aren’t liked.

I wonder what people like Black Shroud and Tim will make of this

I’m just trying to think about how MK could have moved forward and not ended up being a joke.

If they made it just like UMK3 or MK2

/thread

Yeah I think we’re done here…

Problem is I believe that Boon has never really seen his game as a serious, competitive fighting game.

I thought MK3 was an attempt to make it serious?

So your “fix” for Mortal Kombat is turning it into Street Fighter? While you’re at it, why don’t you simply go play SF?

FYI there’s a “parry” in the 3D MKs for PS2, it’s not like the SF3 one and more akin to SFA’s Alpha Counter than anything else, though. Also I think it’s cute how you equate “parry and just defend” mechanics with the immediate betterment of another series. :rofl:

…While I’m at it, sorry to everyone else if this is a troll thread and I answered it seriously.

It’s not SF, I said “MK2 style gameplay” just…with extra shit. The breaker in the 3D MKs was…yeah…

I was just thinking about what i’d have liked to see it evolve into.

Whoever owns the rights to MK now should realize what a gold mine they are sitting on right now. With the success of games like Megaman 9, Street Fighter 2 HD Remix and Bionic Commando Rearmed, do they not realize how many people would love to see a new MK game with digitized graphics? Of course I don’t know how expensive this would be for them to make but I know nostalgia alone would be enough to get people to buy a game like that. Make it violent as hell with a sense of humor like the first three games and I think they’d have a hit on their hands.

how many?

Nope. It’s a lot like MvC2 in that it accidentally turned out to be a great game.

IMO I’d like to see them do another 3D game, I know they keep screwing it up over and over but they got REALLY close to a good game with MK vs. DC. So close, it hurts. If they had fixed these problems it would have been excellent:

1. Reduce tech time on grabs and remove the ability to reduce grab damage. A good minor change would be to make grabs unbreakerable to help counter turtling.
  2. Remove freefall kombat and test your might mashing garbage from gameplay. Keep klose kombat though, this was implemented well.
  3. Reduce rage gain, remove unblockable shenanigans from breakers and rage mode.
  4. PLAY TEST THE GAME and remove the obvious dumb infinites. Jesus christ.
  5. Decrease the recovery time on most projectiles to make them more useful.
  6. More moves! The basics of the game were solid, but having a small move list limited the depth of gameplay and screwed over certain characters.
  7. If you’re going to waste time creating fatalities, the least you can do is make them gruesome as fuck. Most of the Heroic Brutalities were WEAK, not even in a funny way.

Literally billions.

MK vs DC I never picked up, only MK game I do not own. Armageddon kinda made me (finally) drop the franchise. I really liked Deception, though they came close with Deception.

plus

equals :smiley:

An excerpt from a blog I did on this very subject:

Obviously just my opinion, but I hate loading up a game and seeing button commands for jumping and ducking and shit. I’d just steal Soul Calibur’s 8-way run system. Joystick direction is the direction you walk. Guard + up to jump, guard + down to duck. I guess you could keep the run button if the 3D MK games still have that.

The new MK game is close to being rated AO…should be interesting, maybe next year Evo can have an MK game…no, that would upset Capcom.

Evo2k5 I believe had a vote in for a game and MK:Deception was one of the choices.

I don’t seem to learn…I buy new MK games, I enjoy them for a few hours, maybe a few days if lucky, and the flaws start showing. And then I unrelentlessly bash the games, but soon as the next one is announced I become giddy with glee.

I thought I learned from MK vs DC, I managed to avoid that one.

But MK9…I can’t help be feel excited for.

Mortal Kombat, my guilty pleasure…