How Technical is This Game?

I am thinking about getting the Steam version of this game, and based off the videos I have seen, it looks like there is a lot of canceling, combos, etc…

I mainly play SSFIV AE and I can do basic combos, but no cancels, etc…I am a fairly shitty player, but its still fun.

How difficult is KoF XIII in comparison? It looks like fun, but I don’t want to waste $25 on a game that I will be terrible at.

Thanks.

KOFXIII is much harder and technical. But I would say you should still pick it up. The reward in the game is awesome.
Btw if you can’t do cancels you can’t do basic combos lol

BnB combos aren’t very difficult once you get a feel for how the engine works. The game is hard because it’s so fast. Confirming on two crouching shorts or anti-airing is much harder in KOF than in SFIV because of this. KOF isn’t as dependent on links as SFIV, though there are a few characters who can use them, it’s more dependent on cancels.

Links - letting the first move completely finish before beginning your second move. Like Ryu’s f+FP into Shoryuken. The f+FP must finish before you can begin the Shoryuken.
Cancels - cancelling the recovery of the first move into the second. Like Ryu’s cr.MK into fireball. In order for the fireball to come out and combo it needs to interrupt the recovery of cr.MK.

It’s not super hard to get started on. Unless you pick characters like Duo Lon, Chin, or Takuma most of the other characters have some kind of slacker combo to get you started.