How Strider should be played. No XF3 bs

"[media=youtube]F44vWdWS3d0[/media]

Chou a Japanese UMvC3 players in this vid is an amazing Strider player. He has a great team with him that helps with lightning fast mix ups and assist that extend his combos for decent damage. Take a look.

I do like Strider with XF2-3 and his assist is amazing for a lot of situations but I love point Strider the best. What do you think of this guys play?

On SRK we don’t like a new thread for every minor update on a topic. This should go in the video thread since it is a video of strider played well. In fact I think you will find it there already.

Thanks for your enthusiasm but the best way to contribute is to read up on the threads so that you know what we know and don’t clutter up the thread list.

Pretty good, against a bunch of low health characters. Point Strider can be done, just like Phoenix or any other character. Depends on the matchup though if you want to use him first. I wouldn’t recommend point Strider against Hulk, Haggar or Nemesis.

Yeah I had trouble with high health characters with Nemesis but Hulk and Haggar are easier to zone out but they do only need one hit. Strider should be safe if he uses his mobility. But yeah he is super effective vs low health characters because he can kill off a reset.

Way to be a few months late to the party.

On that note, Yeah, he’s an amazing point Strider.

Yeah

Yeah I remember he went off on that Japanese major earlier this year.

This guys gamer JPN gamer tag is super boy 1021, strider is a decent anchor but hes best played as point or 2nd because his high priority normals and his instant overhead makes it easy to open players up. This guy also plays a mean wesker. heres some footage of him on frieda stream

[media=youtube]bnJORDxKoPU[/media]

Shocking statement of the day:

Strider was designed/balanced to be used with lvl 3 x-factor

I can accept that but for one fact. Vergil swords shut down everything Strider does in xf3 orbs.

Which only proves Capcom doesn’t know what the fuck they are doing.

Vergil spiral swords shut down almost everything in this game, even dark phoenix… That’s why I run both, lol

i agree but do not notice anyone utilize his xfactor lvl 3 effectively,
but he is a beast during xfactor,
A BEAST.

he is also effective on point though, imo, takes more work.
really depends on the person playing.

They know what they’re doing because Strider is a significantly better character to use as anchor than Vergil. Simply because he provides a much better assist for the neutral and can do more than fall down like a brick and mash on normals when he is falling in to the match.

That’s just one specific matchup and the actual hit box coverage of sword spiral is overrated. He has a dead box on top of his head and if Vergil gets hit the super deactivates. The main thing Strider has going for him with Ouro is that despite the long start up and 3 meters, once it’s activated you can do nothing to shut it off until the timer runs out. Vergil can run into random aerial hit boxes and the super will shut off.

Dark Vergil is really strong, but the fact that he falls down like a brick makes him better for point or second. Point so you can tear through people and put him in the 2nd spot for later or put him 2nd where he basically becomes a character based version of the DHC glitch.

I hear what you are saying but let me add controversial statement of the day: anchor is irrelevant. Marlin pie showd you don’t need to respect the last character. Just touch the firdt and tear down the team. I think you even pointed this out in the tier thread.

To me the fact that vergil is in the game alones makes xf3 irtelevant. He shuts down every comeback character. So stick vetgil in slot 2.

Once everyone does that stridet is assist only.

If you accept that xf3 comebacks shouldnt happen strider is much less appealing on a team.

Then people will still use Strider any way because his assist is clearly one of the best in the game for most of the higher tiers. Which as anchor still places him in a pretty good position because you get access to another strong assist for the neutral. Rapid Slash is ok but not really something you want to use as your main neutral assist since you have to cover it extremely well for it to be decent.

If they screw up the guard break (which can and will happen) then you still got XF3 Strider available.

I don’t expect agreement since I’m speculating on the future meta game. But in a world where Vergil is running wild XF3 strider with orbs making comebacks is an exception rather than the Plan. Even if you miss the guard break with Viper/zero, if vergil is in spot two and they pop xf or orbs you just dhc into spiral swords and wait it out.

Yes, nothing I’ve written reduces the value of the strider assist. Although if you aren’t playing viper there are better assists around. Zero and jam session for example.

True but anybody with Strider assist that can reliably OTG off of it gets real benefits from it too. Some characters get more mileage off jam session than others so it depends.

I do agree with you if you couldn’t figure since you’re basically just reiterating stuff I’ve said and known for a while. I’m just saying that Strider in the back in a perfect world where guard breaks and people generally always getting opened up always happens is still pretty good and fits within the realm of building a team for such a situation.

I did find the conversation a bit odd because I know you have written essentially the same stuff in the tier thread. I will go much farther though and say it is worth burning xf1 even on a strider team because xf3 orbs should not be the Plan. If you can save your point character with xf do it. If you can kill someone off a guard cancel then do it.
My opinion now is the xfactor comebacks should be so unlikely that it is worth burning xfactor for safety or killing. So when I say don’t pick strider for xfactor comebacks I really do mean it. Enjoy it though when the opportunity falls into your lap.

… As much as I think Chou’s Strider is interesting, it’s still too risky to put Strider on point. KVO alreadly proven that Strider on point isn’t strong enough to win a major at japan for example. Strider doesn’t do enough damage, have true inescapable setups like Firebrand/X-23 does to be put on a position like that. Second works, but Strider being an anchor character works because he decent in XF+3 bars.