How hard is Dante for a new player?

By new I mean my best combo is Magic series, OTG, Hyper.

A bit late I guess, but yeah if that’s your best combo, you won’t notice much of a difference in terms of difficulty of execution compared to other characters.

A character’s strenghts and weaknesses start to show when you progress a bit more, and that’s when Dante starts to become one of the hardest characters in the game. At one point, you’ll realize (if you didn’t already) that magic series, otg, super is not enough to compete with better players, and that’s when you’ll start to explore more possibilities.

What makes Dante so “unaccessible” by new players is that you need to learn how to bold-cancel, which is the core of his more damaging combos AND his neutral game as well. Without using bold-cancels, he doesn’t really have much: he can’t hit-confirm reliably, his combos suck ass and he’s unsafe on most of his strings. By learning it, you’ll eliminate most of these problems, even though it might take some time.

To answer your question, Dante was actually one of the first characters I played, and yes, he did require more training time than others, but it’s very doable imo. Just have fun with the character, if you don’t enjoy him, don’t force yourself into learning him.

Dante’s combos aren’t even hard, it is just the BOLD cancel! I might pick up Dante later when I learn Vergil, but right now I need to focus on the basics to learn the game.

His most optimal combos have some tight timing and/or links in them, like reverse sky dance, acid rain, volcano~jS xx j236M (whiffs), HHHHHH, land, 623M~M. And shot loops, I guess. There’s also the combo that RayRay came up with that’s something like volcano, airdash jH or whatever.

But generally, Dante is difficult for newer players because:
-You have to respect your opponent’s frames.
-Slower than average normals (doesn’t matter when you have good spacing btw).
-Lots of knowledge required to learn the use of all his tools.

There’s just a lot to the character to learn before you get him down. Now is a lot of that hard? Not necessarily, but it will take you a while to get it down.

You need to learn long combos with him to burn off X factor time. Bold cancel is important too.