How do you get in with Dudley?

I want to play Dudley. He’s awesome, and I think my team(Chun+Duds) works fairly well as well as being fun to play. However, I’m still struggling a bit with what I consider to be Dudleys biggest weakness: getting in. From what I can tell he’s damn scary up close, but getting there is a pain. He hasn’t got any good mid-range pokes as far as I can tell, so my opponents often just stay out of his effective ranges and poke him, or anti-air me if I get frustrated and try to jump in. People do consider Duds to be fairly strong, so I’d like to know what people do to get in with this character.<div><br></div><div>Also, to a lesser degree, what do you do once you get in, preferably to stay in? Tick throws and mixing up between the overhead and c.LK as high-low?</div>

<div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>Disclaimer: i am new to Dudley as well so take with a grain of salt, i would greatly appreciate if any higher level Dudley’s would correct any misinformation present.</span></font></div><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”><br></div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>Dudley is very momentum based. Your team should focus on having Chun-li handle the neutral game, get a combo into Dudley that ends in a knockdown (uppercut usually) and start your high-low pressure. Dudley still has options at neutral, while his poke range is garbage you can abuse his fast walk speed to dip in and out of your opponents poke range (which is going to require a lot of match-up knowlege) and score knockdown off of a counter poke with cr.mk or stuff the opponents poke with cr.mp xx. lp machinegun blow to get in there face safely. The duck is useful in projectile matchups but can’t be relied upon against characters with strong footsies</span></font><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”><br></span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>I know you probably wanted to hear more than just use his fast walk speed, but in tag team game such as this its very important to try to use your point characters strengths to circumvent any of the anchors weaknesses.</span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”><br></span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>As for staying in, lp.MGB is great for keeping pressure, it can be mixed up with lp. duck into throw.</span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>forward.mk is forward moving, plus 2 on block and leads to full combo. should be used in block strings to leave frame traps and setup tickthrows.</span></font></div>

<font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>Walk forward, thats how you get in. He has the most ridiculous walk speed I have seen since SF4 vanilla Akuma. People don’t want Dudley anywhere near them so a lot of the time you can just walk people into the corner. The combination of his walk speed, his 4 frame c.MP which can beat out a lot of normals, and some good jumps here and there and you shouldn’t have much problems getting in unless you’re playing against a Law or Chun (which most characters that have better normals have problems against).</span></font>

Alright, so it’s basically to walk towards people until they leave an opening, let me counterpoke them with c.MK or c.MP->MGB, or I get a read to jump at them? Gotcha.<div><br></div><div>Thanks for the freplies. :)</div>

Sounds simple, but that’s how it is :smiley:
Cr.MP is one of the best normals in the game imo. I just love it.

Don’t forget to throw out here and there a counter or EX counter tag if you have an opponent who loves to throw long range pokes, e.g. Marduk, King, Bison

I wouldn’t recommend throwing out a counter except as an anti-air. It has pretty bad whiff recovery, which is bad against Bison in particular since Bison is so fast and has such good range.

What I would recommend is to make your opponent respect Dudley’s pokes. They aren’t amazing, but St. MP and Cr. MP are serviceable counter-pokes that can be buffered into potentially big damage. Once you have them scared, you can use F. MK and Duck to close the distance.