How do you beat El Fuerte?

Wait, I think I didn’t word that right.:sweat:

I think Akuma will probably eat it, or just slide away if he tries to do it on reaction. I meant to say Akuma will get it free if he demons right before contact(everytime I did it I never did the mk/hk > ultra).

Besides all that, I’m kinda getting interested in Fuerte now after playing him some bit with friends.

I think Demon only nabs you when you tortilla too soon. I have absolutely performed tortilla on an Akuma who just executed demon, and also the super. In my experience, if you fail performing a safe tortilla, you want it to be a late “cross-up” as opposed to being too early; that’s when the demon hits.

This sounds correct, I still am going to test it… I think I’ll have to call over an Akuma playing friend to test out the difference on the forward MP super kara demon and the RH ultra kara demon to see the effect. Either that or start practicing Akuma for like 3 hours 'till I get that down :zzz:

i like it, can you do a Cammy one? =)

You don’t have to ask twice sweety.

Yeah, if you do it at max distance Akuma can demon you, but I think if you are fairly close it will whiff.

And as far as Sagat, you can also tortilla him right at the beginning of a round if he throws out a fireballs. Ryu is the same way. If they don’t do it then you land infront of them which can hurt, but it’s something I’ve done a few times that works out pretty well if it goes right.

Added a section for every character, I’ll continue updating it as I learn more about Fuerte.

I like this thread. The more other players know about the Fuerte matchup, the whackier mindgames you can pull on them.

I disagree with full on turtling against Fuerte with most characters though. I think you should turtle a bit to make Fuerte think you’re going defensive, then when there’s an opening, take it and rush him down before he knows whats happening. Fuerte doesn’t have the life or defensive options to withstand a good rushdown.

Viper - Delayed splash beats EX Seismo. Don’t get cocky with it. However delayed splash loses to HP Thunderknuckle. Whoever can do more knockdowns gets to play more wakeup games, and that will probably decide the match.

Ken - Ultra only beats splashes if timed late, or if Fuerte splashes in front.

Bison - EX Psycho Crusher is pretty safe, normal one is slow and punishable, but all good Bisons know that. Zone out Fuerte with scissor kicks to stop his running, although don’t get predictable. Abuse your reach advantage.

Ryu - I wouldn’t go into the corner. As far as I know Ryu’s wakeup shoryuken can still be regular tortilla’ed anyway, but on top of that, Fuerte has plenty of things he can do to a cornered opponent.

Sagat - Tiger knees can still be tortilla’ed. Make sure Fuerte has no room or time to backrun the Tiger Knee. Standing HK can hit random Tortilla attempts out of the air at the correct range.

Vega - Abuse your reach

Nice thread Paper. Though I tend to main other characters and give advice on their forums. Fuerte’s are just too unpredictable to really simplify. Most advice I can give is how to escape scrubby splash shenanigans.

IMO, Fuerte’s biggest problem isn’t jump backs, it’s dashes. One correct backdash will change the match considerably.

I decided to come over here to take a look see on what Guiles should do against ELFs. I played a game against your very own FuriousJodo (hi!) and noticed that he (ELF) doesn’t have many wakeup options. So rushing him when ELF doesn’t have meter might be a good idea. Otherwise, stay the hell away. lol

Here’s a link to the fight [media=youtube]PbCaJvTL0Zo[/media]
See how shitty I did in round 1 and 3 (blast Guile and his weak wake up game…) and see what happens when pressure is applied (though, I tried to do that all 3 rounds…but I guess it’s GG for guile when ELF gets a knock down =( )

Airthrow is a crazy powerful tool for Guile in this match-up, you can airgrab most of my moves on reaction.

You are correct about high pressure working though, Fuerte is built to attack constantly - he really can’t escape very well at all even with EX.

Fuerte’s biggest weaknesses :

Bad wakeup options:
Guac/EX Guac. Do nothing, punish for free
EX Run which is grab able
Crouch block Tech : Overhead

I tried playing Ken against my friend’s Fuerte when I was at the arcade a while back. It’s actually not that hard to either jump back heavy or SRK on reaction to a splash/tortilla attempt. On wakeup, just stand right next to Fuerte’s body and threaten with jabs/throw. You can go for a jump-in, but Fuerte will probably escape with EX Guac or EX run, so it’s best to stay grounded and in his face. No need for fancy stuff, but just watch out for that Ultra when going for throws.

If you think he’s going to EX run out, slap him with a tatsu or even more hilarious(and risky), an EX Shoryuken.

Ken is such a shitty matchup…

Ya pretty much guile sucks lol.

lol

I agree. elf has several (many?) ways to land a knockdown, which is pretty devastating to Guile’s game (blast Guile and his shitty get-the-hell-out-options). I guess this is why it should be preferred that Guiles turtle elf from full screen.

This thread gives me mixed feelings. Honestly, El Fuerte is all about the mindgames, so this thread defeats the purpose of it while at the same time, adding to the metagame of more mindgaming. The point is, if you’re getting predictable and don’t have more than one strategy, you’re not going to last long.

Actually, this works better for us. If people know how to beat Fuerte, it makes it easier to bust out shenanigans and actually mix them up. :wink:

hey paper, just played a couple sets vs you and i’d like to chime in

ryu’s best option is to rush it down vs fuerte. forget your normal zoning with fireballs and predictive c.mks, fuerte will dance around all that bullshit all day and build free ultra off your fireballs. simply walk forward until fuerte has gone into the corner, focusing any splash/sweep attempts, jumping back to ward off the run throw, and so on. counter all his options until he’s in the corner, then begin your normal corner offense, keeping in mind that fuerte’s ultra is an excellent reversal.

all of fuerte’s damage comes off oki, punishing your slow specials on reaction, and keeping you out of your comfort zone with constant 50/50’s. don’t lose your shit. remember, you’re ryu, you have plenty of health to spare, and you only need to hit fuerte like 5 times before he croaks. react to fuerte late, he has plenty of ways to bait and punish you for 40 percent life or more. don’t predict, react. and if you’re blocking, you’re doing it wrong. rush fuerte down!

when you get knocked down, remember that fuerte has 2 basic options: he can try to throw you, or he can try to hit you. watch fuerte closely right before he gets up. if he’s running backwards, a tortilla is most likely to follow, hold up-back, then either jump back again to get away from the immediately following tortilla attempt, or start a focus to beat the splash.

if he runs toward you, he’s probably trying to hit you, as the fajita buster is not very safe, and comes out slowly. as such, either block correctly (high normal, high crossup, low), or start a focus and quickly dash cancel it towards fuerte, punishing with c.hp/c.lp xx whatever. if you’ve timed the focus correctly, it should come out facing the correct side and you’ll be able to hit fuerte with the focus every time. not necessarily with lvl 2, but at least a lvl 1 hit, then dash back and reset your rushdown spacing.

on knockdown, start oki with throws (beat ex run kara cancel ex run backwards), meaty low short into tick (the low short will get soaked up by ex run cancel ex run, but you’ll recover fast enough to jump back c.mk to beat the tortilla, focus to avoid the splash, etc), and, when you’ve got fuerte scared into standing still and teching after a knockdown, ex tatsu.

safe jump is also an excellent tool vs fuerte, as it beats the reversal ultra (neutral jump after jumping attack recovery to avoid it) as well as ex guac (avoids it, punish with walk forward, cmk xx tatsu). buffer a hk tatsu into your safe jump to beat the ex runs and back dashes.

to sum up – keep moving forward, don’t use slow specials/normals (and every normal is slow compared to fuerte’s options), and don’t lose your shit. watch fuerte closely, you can see the animation for tortilla come out, and it’s very different to that of splash/sweep. and when you get a knockdown, keep the momentum up!

Ryu rushdown and ex tatsu is actually pretty annoying. Cornered Fuerte vs Ryu = one dead luchador. Then again a cornered Ryu is pretty screwed himsellf vs Fuerte