How can I improve? Im stuck

I’m currently sitting at 1.9k pp standard. I can execute BnB well, I can defend well(including AA), but I can’t go offense(I don’t know how?). I get bodied 70+ game daily, but I still have no idea how I can improve. All my game is hadoken and SRK, and if lucky I can land the BnB. Can anyone give some advise how i can improve my game.

That’s an extremely vague question. I’m not sure how you’ve managed to make it to 1900PP if you “get bodied 70+ games daily” and your game is only “hadoken and SRK and a lucky BnB”.

It would be best to either post a video or two of some of your matches or be more specific things you’re have trouble with, whether it’s against particular character or maintaining pressure or whatever.

Usually, Ryu should only go on the offense when he gets a knockdown. Ideally you want to be in the mid range, poking with cr.mk, sweep and fireball. And finally when they get frustrated and jump you anti air them. Here is a quick overview of what to do after each kind of knockdown.

Soft knockdown: not a lot of options, jumping will get you DPed by anyone with a good DP so you are left with overhead, cr.mk, or throw

Sweep: jump immediately for the safe jump, even if they delayed wake up you will still be at advantage and can do low/overhead/throw/frame trap. If you know they will DWU then you can delay your jump.

Throw: go for ambiguous cross up into a hit confirm combo or go for empty jump low, cross up tatsu, or go for a low/throw mix up. Ryu’s throws, especially forward throw, are very good and give you a lot of time for a mix up.

When you get in and start pressuring your opponent after a sweep or throw you need to realize that your goal isn’t to execute some predetermined hit confirm, your goal is to break your opponent’s defense. If your opponent is consistently blocking your ambiguous cross ups then going for a standard hit confirm afterward isn’t the best plan, you should instead go for a tricky frame trap like cl.hp or cl.hk. Ryu doesn’t have a command grab or crazy setups, he has to break the opponent with frame traps and throws, luckily, Ryu’s normals are very fast and link into each other making for a great frame trap game. Generally a good strategy is to throw the opponent a lot at the start of the round and then go for frame traps later when he’s used to teching your throws. You also need to realize that as long as you are in range, you can throw, so mix in your throws throughout your block string:

j.mk, throw
j.mk, cr.lk, throw
j.mk, cr.lk, cr.lp throw
j.mk, cr.mp, throw

there are many more examples, including varying strengths of jumping attacks, and random pauses like j.lk, cr.lp, pause, cr.lp, throw. When you get your opponent scared of throws he will tech more, making him more vulnerable to frame traps and your hit confirms. Lastly, you also should know that stand teching a throw is much easier than crouch teching them, this means that stand teching will make you less vulnerable to throws and frame traps as long as the opponent doesn’t go low. So if you are going for frame traps that don’t go low, or go low only on the first hit or after you are too far away to throw (eg cr.lk, cr.lp, cr.mp or cr.mp, cr.mp, cr.mk) then your opponent will simply stand tech at close range and block at mid range and have very little risk of getting hit. In fact, this defensive technique is effective against many characters. In order to make the opponent crouch tech instead (and therefore be more vulnerable to frame traps and throws) you have to go low at short range, if possible multiple times, (eg cr.lk, cr.lk, cr.lp, or cr.lk, cr.lk, cr.lk or cr.mp, cr.mk) and ryu’s only real options for this are cr.lk and cr.mk.

Finally, when applying pressure you have to know the match up and what the opponent’s options are. Does he have an invincible reversal? Does it require meter? Can he fadc it? Does he have a throw invincible move? How good is his back dash? This is a very broad topic since there are so many characters in this game which means you have to learn each character and what he can do.

I was ask to play a zoning game as ryu, but now i keep getting rush down. It seem defend too much or zone game too much cant win you game, especially vs some characters.

Thank you rework, this is very helpful. I did not know there is different in Knockdown or option that I should/should not do.

-closed-