Hope for BnB Mastery?

Ultra 2 can do everything listed except punish projectiles, however using ultra 1 to punish a projectile from an experienced player is far more likely to get you comboed when they fadc. Also buffering ultra 1 to punish leaves you vulnerable - more so than ultra 2.

Also the meaty cr.lk OS works with either ultras and they both catch back dashes. That OS gets shut down by a 4 button tech also, but that’s a gamble worth taking. edit: Also OSing meaty cr.lk into ultra 2 catches shoryukens, where U1 gets punished by that.

You can also play a far more solid corner game with ultra 2 to punish a neutral jump several times more easily.

Don’t forget ultra 2 punishes sloppy jump in and with its comboablity it effectively punishes a focus attack or back dash from anywhere on the screen for 1 bar of meter.

God forbid you hit an airborne opponent with lp jet upper. Then you get to ducking straight into ultra 2. If you need more damage than just ultra 2 provides you can link as many ex ducking straights as you deem necessary then finish with ultra 2.

If someone has an ultra that covers your backdash option and wishes to chip you out on wakeup, you can ultra 2 to avoid the chip.

If anyone can present a situation that ultra 1 is legitimacy better for than ultra 2 I’d love to learn about it so long as it’s not punishing a Blanka ball or a projectile.

I’ve been practicing c.LK OS U2 lately. Anyone got any tips for not accidentally getting super with a full bar? It does it sometimes even if I use a 3P button.

Honda and T. Hawk (I personally like it a lot vs Vega too). Easier to hit whiffs with ultra 1 too (don’t tell me that experienced players NEVER whiff either even if it isn’t very often). Some people like the extra combo damage and I respect that, but I’m a utility man and I like removing or making basic options dangerous. I’m not saying you’re wrong to prefer ultra 2 in every match, but I really don’t believe it’s as cut and dry as you believe.

I use Ultra 1 for a lot of characters. bison,chun li.,honda, vega, and a few others.

If a bison player tries to ex psycho crusher out of the corner thats a free ultra and also will scare them from trying to panic out of the corner in the future.

Also can be used to punish a lot of sweeps and other normals on block including rufus’s crouching fierce.

This is the problem I have and why I switched to U1. I sometimes get ex. jet upper accidentally also. Any tip would be appreciated from me as well.

“If anyone can present a situation that ultra 1 is legitimacy better for than ultra 2 I’d love to learn about it so long as it’s not punishing a Blanka ball or a projectile.”

U1 Punishes focus attacks without the need of any bar.

Lets keep things simple here. You can’t say that U2 effectively punishes back dashes if you need at least one bar make it effective. Also, I disagree in regards to that techniques effectiveness all together (but thats getting off topic).

Well allow me to concede some ground here. The punish for Rufus’s crouching fierce sounds interesting. I’ll go to the lab and try that one out vs other options.

As for the psycho crusher punish, I think that’s a legitimate choice but you can do something similar with u2 as well as punish common bison tactics such as his head stomp’s follow up.

What I meant by spending the meter to punish a back dash was that you can do that from full screen. If you’re right next to them you can OS punish their back dash meterlessly until they start 4 button teching or have a move with enough invincibility and movement to escape or outright stuff either ultra. The exMGB option effectively punishes a broadcasted back dash, but I certainly wouldn’t throw it out in every situation.

U1 has a little range and a respectable startup. It’s not a terrible ultra, I do think it’s majorly inferior to U2 well over half the time. Even in the match ups where U1 seems like a better choice than usual. In my own experience, U1 works best against sub-par Akuma players as punishment for their various escapes–but then it’s already kicking a dead horse.

I appreciate the setups for U1 posted so far. I’ll definitely try them out and weigh them for myself. If anyone knows any other situations where U1 really hurts a match up then I’d like to know.

I’m all for good discussion man, disagreement leads to ideas and growth. There’s a good amount of moves it punishes on block despite pushback that prevents other punishes. I’d have to look them up to list them for you but I think there’s a youtube vid. If I find it, I’ll link it.

@nicfurious29‌ MGB (H or M) has a respectable enough start up frames to punish a backdash with or without an option select, of course you will be prone to a full punish if blocked like with rolling thunder. @Mo’Salty Also both U2 and U1 have a kara input that extends both of their ranges so they can reach characters with good back dashes (i.e. makoto, rose, etc). Furthermore you should be able to catch a fireball player that knows you’re baiting for a U1; if they fadc a fireball and backdash you will catch them with kara U1. Besides Dudley is about max damage, not to rely on ultras. Ideally you should just focus on frame traps into hit confirm into bnb then you okizeme and reset the situation over and over again.

I’d like to return to my original topic for just a moment just to say thanks .

For the first time tonight I did one of Dudley’s BnB somewhat consistently (cr. lk > cr. lp > s. hg > ex. mgb) in training mode!!! I feel pretty good, and I really thought I wouldn’t be able to get it down. Doing in this in a match will be a different story, but I just wanted to thank everyone for their time and sharing their knowledge. I have read all of your posts several times (including the longer ones) and I hope to make the most of your info.

I see that the conversation has shifted towards the applicability to Ultra 1, please continue this discussion! It helps me out a lot, especially since I’m still learning a lot of the matchups :3.

EDIT: O MAI GAHD I DID THAT BNB SEVERAL TIMES TODAY ONLINE. BEST FEELING EVER <3 <3 <3

Hey man, it’s only the beginning. Each time you want to learn a new concept don’t shy away from it, and don’t go back to base tactics to avoid losing. Take your lumps and get used to doing each new skill you acquire in training mode. Had to learn all that the hard way myself.

I understand, I just wanted to thank everyone thus far and let everyone know my progress, since a few people put a lot of effort into giving me advice. I appreciate your advice too :3

My best advice for practicing this sort of thing is to play offline with a friend if you have that as an available option. Whether or not your friend actually plays SF, just hang out and shoot the shit while you practice your combos in a live match setting. Your friend won’t judge you, lag is not a factor, and since the EX MGB bnbs are so unsafe on block, you won’t be losing any points due to dropped combos. Afterwards, you can try to get it more often online once you’re more comfortable.

No worries man, you made the important first steps. You’ll rise if you keep it up.

[/quote]

My best advice for practicing this sort of thing is to play offline with a friend if you have that as an available option. Whether or not your friend actually plays SF, just hang out and shoot the shit while you practice your combos in a live match setting. Your friend won’t judge you, lag is not a factor, and since the EX MGB bnbs are so unsafe on block, you won’t be losing any points due to dropped combos. Afterwards, you can try to get it more often online once you’re more comfortable.
[/quote]

I think this is great advice. I have a friend that plays this game w/ me (played for several hours together today), but he mains Zangief. I have absolutely no idea how to practice Dudley’s bnb’s on Zangief without getting grabbed… from what I gathered it seems that this matchup is all about Dudley’s footsy game and lots of blockstrings. Any experienced players have any thoughts?

Gief is a tough match for Dudley player and really takes above average - high level play to win consistently against Gief. Block strings are absolutely a necessity as well as spacing, and decent knowledge on punishes.

Personally, I think you should ask your friend to play a non-grappler character since you’re such a beginner. The sheer amount of things you need to already have down and mastered skill wise as a Dudley player would overwhelm you as a beginner.

me vs gief is always a display in panic. Punish all his anti airs and lariats… realize when theres 30 sec led he still hasnt taken any damage… and panicky jump backwards after each green fist. its a mess

Hey guys, mo salty said in a post here that he recommended f. hk > st. hk > ex. mgb instead of f. hk > cr. lp > st. hk > ex mgb. I’ve been trying this and liking it a lot, and imo it’s a bit easier than the version with cr. lp. Just thought you guys should consider trying it. Thanks mo salty!

FWD HK, ST HK is a one fram link so if you find it easier to do then good. The benefits are a bit more damage and less whiffing on characters.