HF: Ryu

A couple of Ryu’s crouching shorts into a hurricane is a handy combo. Learn to use his crouching shorts against Dhalsim’s Teleport; if he lands in front of you, your c. shorts will land. When you see the first hits land, put a space between the first couple of hits and time another c. short into a Roundhouse Hurricane(is this called a kara-cancel?). Hard to time, though. It also works against opponents who like to run in and surprise you with a throw. If you catch em’ coming in with a few c. shorts, put a space and a c. short into a roundhouse hurricane.

Basic SF 101
if one move in a combo cancels directly into the next hit in the combo is is a chain
if one move in a combo fully animates and does NOT cancel into the next hit in the combo it is a link

:slight_smile:

It’s not a kara-cancel… it’s a link. You’re putting in a gap so your shorts become “alive” again and can be cancelled. You’re “linking” another d.short onto your combo and cancel it into hurricane.

It -is- hard to time… Personally I go for CPS1 chain instead. If I land 2 d.shorts, standing fierce (lk+hp) into fierce FB. I find it is much easier.

I’m talking about pre-alpha games like HF.
Alright, if you cancel a normal attack with a normal attack (the only cancel with a normal attack I know of is a c. short + c. short) that is called a chain. But if you use a special attack to cancel a normal attack, is that called buffering?

dude, he just explained it…go back and read again.

Buffer is a term used pretty loosely… when people say it they usually mean to cancel into something else.

But I believe the original meaning of “buffer” is to perform a motion during an attack. To prepare your attack to be cancelled into the next special move.

So in a sense “But if you use a special attack to cancel a normal attack, is that called buffering?” Yes there is buffering.

You would buffer the motion during your attack, then cancel (chain i guess) the attack into your special move.

I could be wrong… but I think that’s it.

Hidden DP

Yesterday, I realized a way to stop an annoying strategy that my opponent was using against me in HF. Another Ryu player would pin me in a corner with a Hurricane Kick above my head. Afraid of being hit by the HK, I would remain crouching and my opponent would often land behind me and throw me. My attacks would miss because I’d be facing the wrong way, and if I tried to jump, I’d often be hit with a standing roundhouse. I wouldn’t try a DP with Ryu because when I hit toward, I would stand and probably be hit by my opponent’s HK. But I just realized I could do a DP without standing! Stick out a crouching short just before doing a DP. You’ll be pressing toward while in your c. short, and that will eliminate your standing frame. Then you can finish the DP normally and you’ll be able to stop most hurricanes, even if they are already over you!

OR you could pick Honda and low strong him in the nuts.

Yeah, that c. strong with Honda stops Ryu’s HK. I never tried that. But I had trouble stopping the HK when it was overhead; the c. strong only worked well as Ryu was coming in.

I’ve pulled of three crouching shorts, standing firece into fierce hadoken.

close elbow jab, standing fierce, fierce hadoken also works.

Low strong, low forward, fierce hadoken also works.

i think ryu beats balrog, and chun li is no slouch in this game. her high jump doesn’t mean anything, her walk speed is awesome. if she gets a throw on ryu, she gets a free jump in if timed correctly.

(if ryu dps, it gets blocked) ken however can dp it.

I think Rog can beat Ryu. I’ve had matchups where it can go either way. TAP when they throw fireballs, follow up with a Dash punch afterwards and return back to charging the TAP. Takeout HKs with low fierce. Tick throw (or in his case headbutts) when your close enough.

Your not lying Storming Flower, Chun Li has amazing footspeed in this game.