Help a casual scrub

Me and my friends are playing AE casually for fun. I have been doing ok lately but one of my friends play El Fuerte and I can’t for the life of me beat him. I played him last night for about 10-15 games and I didn’t win one.
I for one does not know how to beat Tostada Press. I’ve tried shoryu (either trades or gets hit out of), cl.hp, neutral jump hk, mk. All of them fails so what I do now is just teleport away, it’s not safe as he can punish them if he expect them. I’ve even tried to catch his Habanero Dash with Hyakuretsukyaku but haven’t succeeded.
I try to use dive kicks and j.hks but his Guacamole catches me far too often. And I can’t zone him at all with projectiles.

So yeah like I’ve said I’m a scrub and would like to enjoy my casual games so help me out here bros! Help me!!!

A little SF4 background from me. I played a decent amount on vanilla, didn’t really play at all for super and I just got back on playing AE about 2-3 weeks ago. I played Viper back in vanilla but I didn’t do very good with her. So I’m switching to Seth as I find him the most fun to play. I’ve looked at the combos thread and match-up thread. I can do basic bnb combos with Seth but that’s about it.

aww no love for scrubs?

This can end up being a crazy match if you don’t know how to handle his mixups, cause both characters are highly mobile and fast. Its up to you to control the pace and there are a few ways you can accomplish that.

Dealing with fuertes pressure on wakeup can be difficult but you have a few options. If you think he is going to press you, try and wait until the last send then use ex legs. It will auto correct if he cross up splashes and get him on the other side of the screen. I try to avoid focusing against fuerte, because he can just grab you, so I wouldnt recommend that tactic. Of course you can teleport away, but mixup your teleports. Maybe instead of always doing backwards 3K, sometimes do forward 3P.then punish the whiff.

Also, use tanden sometimes, keep him from running. and if he runs into it, free combo for you.

I use U1 in this matchup as well, you can ultra alot of his stuff on reaction. Make that a consideration, or maybe even go into training and practice reacting to some of fuertes moves.

Thts just some introductory advice. Good luck!

Cool.
Yeah I basically don’t know how to deal with his mixups.
Does ex legs beat fuertes press? I have to try that! But I really want to find a way to deal with his press without having to burn meter. I guess I have to be good with mixing up with my teleports.
If I try to catch his run with tanden should I use mp or hp version?

I always use U2 against non fireball characters since it does good chip and comboable. Tanden -> U2 chip at the very end of a round is so cheap. But if U1 can properly punish his moves then I want to try that out. Can you tell me what moves I can punish?

Thanks for the info… I’ll post some updates efter the next time I play him again.
Also are there any good Seth vs Fuerte videos out there on the interwebs?

You know you can focus tostada press? And get a crumple off it? It’s very fair.

Don’t jump. He has amazing anti-air potential. Use s.hp/SB to limit his mobility and U1 to catch walljumps. Stop running from fuerte, mix his ass up when he wakes up. Fuerte players always complain about how his reversals suck. You can punish whiffed EX guacamole pretty easily in AE.

Fuerte has a good mixup. Don’t get knocked down. Don’t stay at the range where he can just guess tostada to get a knockdown. Sometimes you just have to guess on the tostada. Also, it’s unsafe on block.

Played him again and I lost a bunch again. But I think I’m at least making some improvements. I’m not being bullied as much as last time. Still really bad about dealing with the mixups with press/throw. I chose U1 but didn’t really get to use it. I didn’t saw any good openings, I guess that’s just an error on my part.
I think I jumped too much but I didn’t got shut down by his AA so I guess that’s an improvement.
I started mixing up more with SPDs and bnb combos and it works pretty well. And it’s got to be the lag but I drop combos far too often :(.
I didn’t get ex legs to work and I git punished too much when using FAs.

Honestly, fun things I enjoy doing to El Fuerte:

Tanden Engine
LP SRK
Ex Legs
HP Super if he jumps
Ultra 1 after he leaves the wall on a wall-jump
Meaty Dive Kick on his wake-up
Angled-jump MP

I did catch him with tanden from time to time. But I missed even my bnb (light attacks -> cr.mp -> legs) a lot, which I don’t do offline so it had to be lag. But I did nail him with spd shenanigans quite a few times.
I did catch him a few times with forward j.mp but missed stomps, I blame lag once again (but probably just bad execution on my part).
I almost had him once… but I was too aggressive and ate U2 :(.
I still haven’t beaten anything with ex legs yet :confused:

question on the FA catching tostada press. It’s only good if he does not cross up with it right? Because if he crosses up then he will be behind me and able to punish my dash afterwards. Am I right?

You’re playing against Fuerte, online, with lag, as Seth? Man just put the controller down.

Still better than just eating the damage+knockdown. :\

No I don’t play competitive just casually against my friends. So it’s alright.

There must be safer options like teleport or back dash (although I don’t have the reactions for it). But I guess I’m not playing Seth if I don’t take crazy risks.

Also is there a way to tell if a Fuerte player is using press or throw of a run? Is the animation different?

Teleport leaves you very negative, a good fuerte will bait those.

Backdash is about as reliable as Focus is in this match-up.

You need to just roll the dice and learn the timing.