Having trouble with Cap - Advice thread

I come to you fellow Cap players a bit lost so far. I played Cap all throughout MvC3 and so far in MvCi I’ve had a rough time. I still enjoy playing him a ton, and I think that he has potential but I find myself getting opened up a ton by faster characters and an onslaught of projectile and offensive pressure. I’m still learning how to deal with a few of these things defensively, but I did also notice that offensively I find it really hard to open people up with him. Do you think Cap is played better on point or as the secondary? Also - what do you recommend in terms of applying safer strings, as well as what are his optimal punish setups? I play him and Captain Marvel currently for reference.

Noted this could also have to do with me just being terrible so far, but i’m just looking for ways to improve my game.

I like to use reality stone with him. In neutral to deal with crazy air dashers I like to use the combination of reality surge and his heavy trick shot(qcf+hk).

Also the reality stone combined with his double jump can make him tricky to deal with in the air.

Don’t forget to make use of his dp.

To open people up I actually use tick throws a good bit cause they can lead to some ambiguous setups. F.lk is good in a blockstring because sometimes it catches a miss timed push block and it’s plus on block

We could just make this a critique thread if you want to post some of your matches

Thanks. Yeah, to be honest I’ve been thinking that Reality stone might be better for me, but I’ve been hesitant since I feel like way too many people have been using Reality Stone - kind of a pride thing but maybe i might need to switch it up. Other than that, sounds like some good ideas - i’ll post a few of my matches for some critique.

https://youtu.be/HgEEwaFFomY?list=PLGzDl3ldeyA9JPESlOtb8g4RqeFgG5p3z

https://youtu.be/LLbh8bJsgJw?list=PLGzDl3ldeyA9JPESlOtb8g4RqeFgG5p3z

1st Video

1:07 -> This is where you should have blocked, & pushblock to reflect Reality Stone. Any Fireballs are unsafe upclose because of reflect.

1:18 -> That’s a nice counter. Should have canceled shield slash into hyper charging star, or use charging star instead. I see you get hit by the arrow afterwards. The Nice part is that you can combo after Hyper Charging Star. You can also choose to punish with dash light kick or light punch instead.

4:10 -> When you whiff power stone in the air like that, you leave yourself open which makes you vulnerable

5:27 -> Didn’t know Cap can reflect the flame (Reality Storm) lol

2nd Video

0:51 -> I really can’t tell if the tag or the super is reflected. You probably want to follow up with a heavy attack instead to get more damage.

0:57 -> if you have stayed there, blocked & pushblock to reflect Reality Stone, Jedah would have gotten hit by it when he airdash towards you

1:42 -> nice movement & bait, but you didnt punished the whiffed command grab. Missed opportunity

4:56 -> again, should have pushblock to reflect the Reality Stone. Unless that’s a mistimed pushblock attempt

6:17 -> come on, you didnt even punish the whiffed command grab. you just jump around for nothing. If you might get grabbed when you land, then do neutral double jump instead so you can hit Jedah with j.HK.

appreciate the tips. I gotta work on my ability to reflect reality projectiles. I usually get thrown off trying to reflect them with the added pressure of their offense.

Also gotta work on my whiff punishes. im still in the phase where sometimes i get caught up in the chaos and freeze up.

what safe blockstrings should I use with Captain America? let’s say my ground chain are blocked… what should I end them with?

Solo pressure for me is mainly staggered jabs, jab xx f.lk, or tick throw

Yeah on block ive been thinking i should use F.lk more, as theres a lot of good pressure you can get. If you do f.lkxx Shield slash you can tag and try to cross up or go for added pressure. I also try to do lights into cartweel +tag. its not always the smartest move but it has a possibility of mixing people up.