Haaalp! plz and thank you. New Evil Ryu player

http://youtu.be/C2VWaKbUDUQ

Hello,

I myself, like many others, are a new Evil Ryu player. Formally a Sagat (vanilla to AE) and a Dudley (AE 2012) player. I switched to Evil Ryu because he has zoning options as well as fun combos. A mixture of the reasons I played Sagat and Dudley. I watch a lot of match videos and I read a lot on how to play the character, but I feel like I do have a lot of bad habits still. I uploaded a match I had on PS3. I felt I was strong in the first round, but after the second round, it seems that my gameplay fell a little bit. So many bad decisions. I analyzed it myself well enough, but I want to hear what people think about it. There’s a lot I feel I need to improve on, but if you give me your impressions and opinions, that would be greatly appreciated.

You were focusing too much and playing a little too risky, imo. You missed on a lot of huge whiff punish opportunities, when he missed his command grabs and whatnot. Utilize your low forward and anti-airs more. I wouldn’t rely too much on E Ryu’s f.MK unless I’m looking to low crush or beat a focus attack.

That match was a heart breaker, though. No ultra there at the end. :frowning:

Aaaaah I know! I remember that moment vividly too! After the EX Shoryuken came out, I was at a loss for words.

Thank you for your input, AudricVsFood. It helps to see what other people think. I see what you are saying about missed whiff punish opportunities. There were a lot of times I could have hit them with a cr. MK into hadoken and what not. I guess I do go for toward MK too much in this match. The other player did not necessarily go for too many low attacks but I guess that’s a habit I gained from playing a Vega player who does cr. MK and cr.HK a lot.

But would you think I need to focus on reacting to opportunities I could punish the opponent or should I gain more of a footsie game?

Oh yes. Agreed. I do need to work on anti airs.

Do both. Maybe lean more towards learning your punishes and building the reactions for it for now, but try to balance your progression in both. Punish whiffed command grabs with low forward combos or whatever you’re close enough to land. I know you can punish some Condor Dives on block with HK Tatsu, but there might be a stronger punish for it. Lol. Let me know what you find out!