Guile Q&A Thread: Opening Gambit

As @TheDewMan32 said, scaling is the primary factor. There’s a basic summary of the health bar scaling here:

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Street_Fighter_V/Basic_Elements

Hello,

Both characters (Guile and Ryu/ken) are in each others sweep range and block down. How to get out of this situation ? I don’t know whether I should press a button or move forward for a throw. So instead I want to avoid these situations or at least create an escape route.

If you are both standing in sweep range in neutral, you could always use Guile’s Sobat kick to make some distance as well as clip your opponent if he tries to stick out a normal. Sobat is also good for closing the gap. Also you can use knee bazooka now to get in closer because it’s like minus 2 on block.

Thank you. Much appreciated, it also solved another problem. Now, I don’t have worry about the opponent dashing and throwing me.

I have another issue , I tend to push myself back into a corner and once that happens I get into a position where I have to defend low and becareful about Jump-ins.

I know I can walk forward with a Lp.Sonic Boom but after that what should be my objective. Again lets us say I am fighting against Ryu/Ken/Akuma.

I know it seems kinda obvious but the best way to not get cornered is move forward when you get the chance. If the opponent is full screen go ahead and b.lk between booms. Take a step or 2 when you hit a flash kick. Dash to push them back after a CC sweep. Taking space away from the opponent should always be on you mind because fighting Guile is scary when there’s nowhere to go.

When your following a slow boom you should first be looking to counter the opponent’s attempts to get past your boom. This means c.hp or air throw if they jump, or block moves like slides and armored stuff then punish. You need to know what the other character’s anti-fireball options are to do this. For the shotos look out for tatsu, ex hadoken, and thier supers.

Following a boom gives crazy good frame advantage if they block so try to meaty throw or frame trap them if they do. I tend to use mp, lp xx boom since that both combos and frame traps 3 frame jab characters. Watch out for ex reversals and try to bait them out if your opponent uses them a lot.

If it hits them it’s combo time. Hp, c.mp xx boom/flash kick is usually good. Sweep or backfist work if your too far for that.

what are guile’s corner combos?

These probably aren’t the best but these are the ones I use.

C.lp, c.lp xx boom, c.mp xx mk flash kick
C.lp, c.lp xx boom, c.mp xx boom, f.hp
C.mp xx boom, c.mp xx flash kick
C.mp xx boom, c.mp xx boom, sweep
Hp, c.mp xx lp boom, d/f.hk, flash kick
F.hk, c.lp xx boom, c.mp xx mk flash kick
F.hk, c.lp xx boom, c.mp xx boom, f.hp

The c.mp combos can be done after jump-ins.
The hp one can be done after jump-ins and CC f.hp.
The combos that end with boom, f.hp/sweep can instead be ended with ex boom, b.lk for a reset, or with boom xx CA.