Guile matchup

What’s the best answer to booms? Does s.HP trade favorably with them? What safe jumps still work on him? Anything else to know?

answer to booms? -> fadc
always try to close gaps with guile. If you mannage to keep him at corner, than you’re halfway to victory

s.HP sometimes whiffs his sonicboom (most of times will trade in favor of guile), but if you’re gonna use it, try to use to predict him

For the overall matchup, you should just try to play patiently and bulldog your way in. Once Guile is knocked down, he’s pretty free to Seth since he only has flash kick for reversals, and they lose to ambiguous cross ups or deep dive kicks on wake up.

At the start of the round if you think he’s going to throw a boom, tandem, then spd. Guile can jump out of it, but if you’re right free knockdown into madness. Tandem will pull Guile toward toward you from almost full screen so keep that in mind. Plus, tandems are projectile invincible once they get started up. It can be hard to time, but if you know exactly when it starts its not that bad of an option. It can be extremely risky from the wrong ranges so be careful. Ex legs and ultra 1 are NOT PRACTICAL AGAINST GUILE FOR PUNISHING BOOMS.

Guile’s may try to use ultra 1 as a get off me tool, but it is extremely is to avoid seeing how it takes 7 frames to come out after the ultra flash. Not to mention, it loses to a properly timed dp.

Guile’s Ultra 2, if tried to be used on your wake up, can be hit by your ultra 2 as long as you’re about in the middle or closer.

fst.HP trades in Seth’s favor and can avoid booms completely…

EX Legs is too slow and doesn’t go far enough, but Ultra 1 practically forces Guile to think twice about ever throwing a sonic boom without meter.

basically just play lame as fuck, and when Guile tries to go in, figure out if he’s stupid or so smart he knows he has to play stupid. one will jump almost immediately, get AAd easily, and die on the resulting mix ups most likely. The other will see if you’re willing to use Tanden against his mid range and closer ranges before attempting to get in through the air, at which point you basically want to either back off and create space, fake Tanden motions, or look for dash SPD. When Guile is on his ass he is basically fucked. Most of the time, if you lose to Guile and got a knockdown, it’s because you tried to SPD him a little too much after the initial SPD/other knockdown.

I play against a strong Guile (FineLikeWine) on a pretty regular basis, and most recently my most favorable use to get in on him is to either AbsorbDC Booms, or Ex Legs through for a knockdown/damage. Given, I’ve been told it’s “impossible” to react to Sonic Booms, but I hit him a lot of the time.

Ultra 1 has to be predicted on Sonic Booms, especially depending on the spacing. Unless you’re point-blank and the sonic boom hasn’t left his hands, then you’ve got him, but if it’s full screen, you have to execute the Ultra before the Sonic boom forms in his hands. His recovery is on another level, so unless you anticipate the shit out of him, you’re not going to hit it.

Dive Kicks are really dependent on the Guile executing the Flashkick. He just has to execute it late as fuck and he can beat your DK out.

A tip my buddy gave me is on level 1 Focus Attack on block, Dash in. Guile doesn’t have options like an SRK that executes fast enough to stop your pressure (Being a Charge character+Guile, most of the time they’ll be trying to walk forward with the Sonic Boom either way, so no charge).

Be careful on Medium Punch Tanden Engine, unless it’s meaty as fuck, he can straight punish you with a Flashkick and you cannot block. You can use it as one of those mixing up tools, but he can punish/jump out. I haven’t tried HP Srk, but it’ll only work if he jumps/flashkicks, if he blocks then you’re just giving him damage. Best to avoid hurting yourself if he’s that type of Guile.

I literally just got an Xbox on Thursday, so I’ll be trying to get a capture card so I can start recording some of our matches, but I’ve been coming back to SF in a more serious manner lately, so if you guys are ever interested in seeing Seth v Ryu/Guile/Cammy/Honda/Blanka/Ibuki/Viper/insert random character here, I can probably get our guy to stream/record it (We have weeklies and a monthly we have streamed/recorded).

Being that a lot of people have posted up info over the last couple years individually rather than picking up that handbook I structured, I’ll probably spend some time incorporating it into it and giving credit to everyone who spun up the knowledge.

Hope you’re all doing well. I’ve been playing Seth & Blanka mostly these days, but I’ll most likely be picking up Oni as well since I like playing characters that aren’t human.

-jalapNo

i keep forgetting to bring that damn capture card for you… remind me next time to bring it. let’s record some seth-ibuki shenanigans

I find Guile to be one of the easiest matches for my Seth. I probably have the highest win ratio against him.