Good secondary for Yun?

Anyone know a good secondary for Yun? Going by the the list JWong made, he listed Sagat, Guile and Fei Long. That was AE2012, is it still relevant? I have a Bison/Ken/Cammy but not too sure if they’re the best choices.

i think akuma will work well cammy maybe umm or just anybody who beats yun’s bad match-up’s maybe even adon idk but who likes adon

Pick a character to deal with the characters that you personally have the most problems with.
Yun’s hardest matchups (in my opinion) are: Zangief, Balrog, Sagat, Ryu, E.Ryu, and Fei.

The best choices to tackle these according to the E.hubs tier list (lol) are Rose and Dhalsim.
Rose beats Sagat, Ryu, E Ryu and Fei, neutral with Balrog and (according to snake eyes) loses to Zangief
Dhalsim (whom I believe Julio has picked up) beats Zangief, Ryu, E.Ryu (according to Daigo) and neutral with the rest.

Dhalsim, the masochist’s life.
I can play Rose, I had picked her up a few months ago for the Guile matchup (Bison was my old main).

I hate all of those characters, except Evil Ryu.

Ryu is a bad mu for Yun? Can you explain why? I mean, he obviously has a DP but so do other characters.

I feel that Ryu beats Yun because of how he has the ability to play a stronger turtle game compared to other DP characters such as Oni and Ken, which therefore makes it much harder to get in on him.

This isn’t just my opinion, however; Ryan Hart often switches from Sagat to Ryu against Yun (he also did this against Kazunoko at Evo this year). Infiltration has also switched to Ryu in the past to deal with Yun, though that might be due to Yun having an advantage in the Akuma matchup.

I’ve seen some use Yang/Rufus/Decapre/Cammy. Could be just because they’re also divekick characters.

I thought they both just hated Yun and Ryan didn’t like the mirror.

Any other suggestions, or are Dhalsim/Rose the best picks? I have a decent Rose, and a Godlike Sim… in ST cough

I suppose Bison isn’t too bad, although I’m sick of him personally but hey… When you gotta win. Guile could be a good choice, he should either win them or go even, right? Which is probably the same with Bison.

Vega? Beats Evil Ryu, Sagat, Gief, Fei, and Rog pretty handily.

Every good Yun has always been an undercover Ryu :smiley:

By the way, I also believe Ryu gets the upperhand on Yun. He just can’t catch up with a Ryu that knows which risks to take. If the Ryu is standing in the right spot Yun cannot punish hadoken, etc. And Shoryuken beats upkicks clean.

Ryu and Yun compliment each other very well when it comes to dealing with the entire cast how that is, at least in my experience is. Yun’s forte is ending matches quicker and being steps ahead of the opponent. Where as Ryu can get clean victories concentrating on each and every situation one after the next. Yun takes care of the tough Ryu matchups like Dhalsim,Vega, Gouki, Gouken, Guile, Fei Long.
Where as Ryu takes care of your Zangief, T Hawks, other Ryus, Elena, Sagat, .

Hope this helps.

Why Ryu beats Yun is because of the damage output. Fireball as a poke, Ryu can react to all of Yun’s specials with Shoryuken. Stuff like that. Yun needs to gamble and get in a command grab or bait a DP Out of the Ryu to win convincingly . However if the Ryu some how gets a sizeable early on there is hardly any chance a Yun will be able to come back.

Ryu and Vega. Oh gosh you guys are making me go back, I’m gonna be waking up in cold sweats and salt again.

I lost to a gimmicky Hawk, haven’t been playing recently. He was trash talking etc saying he can never lose a good matchup lol. I switch back to Bison (who I said I never would), his sodium levels rose and rage quitted. I tend to lose to gimmicks a lot with Yun no matter the character…

I think ryu & yun could work pretty well as a duo however i think yun has a hard time with defensive characters similar to ryu but once he gets in its a done deal it’s just getting in is hard to me especially against guile i mean shoulder is pretty good to get in tht ass & palms are pretty good to beat out sonic booms but wht other options does he yun have to get in?

+1 EX lunge punch, walking forward, dive kicks.

I like to just walk forward and block against Guile - he’ll eventually corner himself if you play footsies correctly. Bait anti-airs with neutral jumps, lk dive kicks etc.

Ryu really the way forward huh?

I was also thinking Poison, but I dunno, haven’t explored her much. I’ve been going back to Ken/Bison just from comfort. I also got an okay Evil Ryu because I was going to main him after I dropped Yun about 6 months before Ultra was announced.

Guile really isn’t a problem, I just walk forward like electric said, once he’s in the corner or knocked down… time to go nuts. I think I’ve stunned every Guile I’ve faced so far.

Yes Ryu is going to be your helper for Yun in matchups that seem uphill just because you would be missing a fireball. Its usually those matches where Yun is kept out where as Ryu could control the same exact spot and stay on his side, where as Yun always ‘has’ to approach the opponent to control everything. Ryu can stay where he is and do the job just as well. for example against zangief. That by itself should tell you the different How does Yun handle that match as compared to Ryu handling it. That same dynamic is applied to the bad yun matchups that ryu can handle with medium effort.

The reason Yun fails in those hard situations is that, 1-2 mistakes in the pressure (which you are almost always going to make unless you turtle) end with Yun dying. Ryu can afford to actually tank those same mistakes and end up winning where Yun would lose. Most of the time Ryu won’t even get into that situation in the first place simply because he is Ryu and has different threats. The danger factors are different. if you just disrespect a yun the right way, you are most likely going to win especially with that Upkick nerf, unless you are Dhalsim.

Ryu can literally manage one spot on the screen and Own a zangief.
Yun has to take his chances with the high low game, and if he does screw that up by guessing wrong. The gief will atomic buster you back to China free.
Hugo, t hawk and hakan can actually do the same thing to Yun. Rather easily. All Yun has to do is forget for a second not to be that close and yup KO its over.

Which is the thing because for Yun to lead , he has to be close and smart.
Ryu doesn’t have to be that close to begin with to be optimal, and there fore he is in a better position as long as you know what to do with both characters. if you have momentum going with both of these characters and switch back and forth depending on how you feel when you feel. You can go days without losing at all…

-A+ Yun & Ryu player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWF3It4NynU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm6ENhbup0k

I’ll give Ryu a shot I guess. I have one, I just don’t like playing him… and how exactly am I off topic?

Yeah I know what you mean. he is 10x the work of any other character. He is the best compliment for yun though I have to say.
Either him or , idk… Guy ?

I actually find Guy more work lol. I’m okay with Ryu, it’s just I find him boring… but when you gotta win.

Considering I’ve won tournament matches by 4 timeouts back to back with Bison, I should be the last person to complain about boring.

Listen to Voltaire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWYCS6k1IOA

(Can’t stand Ryu’s walk speed)