Good beginner team?

I’m new to KOF13 and I really want to learn the basics. Which 3 characters should I play to learn the fundamentals of this game?

P.S I play Gouken, Cody and Dudley in SFIV - although they are very different they all have one thing in common… they are hard hitting characters. Are there any characters in KOF13 that resemble these play styles? & If so will they work well together in a team? o_O
Sorry for the nooby questions :slight_smile: Just seeking some advice. Atm I’m really liking Terry…

Thanks

Maxima is the only real hard hitting character that isn’t a grappler, and I don’t know if he’s the best solution for learning KOF on. Clark is huge damage and is half grapple half striking and forces you to get used to the footsie/movement game found in KOF XIII. Frankly most of the shotoken-esque characters are a great choice for starting out in this game. Myriads of online videos and forum posts will point you in the direction of Claw/Flame Iori, NEST/Standard Kyo, etc. They’re great and have high damage potential.

Understand that ALL characters in this game have the same health values and have the ability to perform 35-50 pct health combos within 1/2 + 1 gauge bar. Terry happens to be one of the less optimal options if you’re simply seeking high damage values. He is more of a… halfassed zoner or maybe a specialty anti-air guy. I really like Terry too, but he’s not going to be your best option. Frankly, though, there is very few bad options in this game in my opinion, it’s more about finding what fits you/makes you happy and going from there.

Takuma/Mr. Karate all have great moves that force you to be on point because their normals (the REAL important part of this game) are subpar but their style forces true understanding of the movement options and rock/paper/scissors elements of the games specials. They also have RIDICULOUSLY easy “death touch” combos. Kim is pretty freaking awesome, has relatively easIER combos, and has huge damage potential. Chin forces you to understand the mind games of this game and has HUGE damage potential. Benimaru and a few others (I like beni) have infinites (Beni also has a great command grab) so THAT’s something to think about. None of these guys I would say are heavy hitters (normals and specials all have PRETTY similar damage values for the most part). All character specials are ridiculously unsafe in KOF time.

I would just mess around with normals, spend some time watching online videos (If you got time to spare, Juicebox_FGC’s youtube channel has overly long SUPER detailed character tutorials). Find out what makes you happy and put in work. 75 pct of the cast has 100 pct combos, even the “weaker” characters have the ability to do a combo that puts you into stun then another combo that takes off the rest of your life.

Thanks man!

The simplest characters to play and learn in this game are Ex Kyo/Terry/Kim, and they make a rather good team.

With team creation I recommend:

• A character you generally like
  • A character whose play style you like and can cover your weaknesses
  • A top tier