Getting destroyed in the Chunli Matchup. What to do?

Hello Clienad here,
This is my first post in SRK I have been playing a while now and I am still not a very good honda. Sorry to ask such a ridiculous question. However this match up is driving me insane.

Okay so looking down my win loss ratings Chunli appears as my nemesis. I know this match up is not exactly in Hondas favour but I can lose to any level of Chunli as long as they can kikkouken or hazansu it’s game over for me.
The game generally goes like this.

Start
Setup 1) Footsies I put pressure on her with neutral jump HP (from just out side of HK range), Standing HP and short sweep and try to back her into the corner. She hasn’t got any meter yet so she isn’t as threatening. As I edge her to the back screen she starts to light hazantsu. if not she low hard kicks for the poke then starts fireballing.
Setup 2) She starts off backing to the edge of the screen and fireballs and hazantsu when I get into range nothing punishable without ex headbutt. I can push her back with a light headbutt to gain position and force her to the corner but She can double pump the hazantsu and punish the head butt.
(Here I try to get as much damage as I can off of mixups and crossups while she has no charge or EX guage.)

Mid game
We have established a pattern of sorts she is now fireballing and low sweeping while throwing out hazantsus every now and again. She now has meter so on knock down I can, from 2grid squares away only, mid butt stomp if she wakeup ex bird kicks or use safe jumps to make her use meter. She doesn’t neutral jump split kick as much as I am delaying the head butts or faking the distance by short head butting to gain some room then oicho to mix up. I can still get over fireballs to get close but I am not gaining meter and I am losing life if she slow fireballs or hazantsus unexpectedly. YES SHE DOES!!
(Here is where I feel I am losing the battle. She gains too much meter and puts me under pressure forcing me back to the last quarter of the screen. fighting back from here is nigh on impossible.)

End game
OK so were both low on health she has 2bar meter and Revenge guage she now is invincible for me. I have to stay back and avoid the kikouken all jumpins are now unsafe. EXkicks beats low jab into hands even if low jab connects. I can’t jump unless it’s back fierce she knows this and just sits back and fireballs for more meter I can’t get into range for an ultra 1 because she has pressure on with the hazantsu and (yeah try jumping at a chunli who knows how to anti air. LOL T_T my inner termoil!.) She now owns 3/4 of the screen for me. Hazantsu now basically beats ex buttstomp or any other counter move. I can focus it and release or ex headbutt the ex hazantsu but most time the focus strategy loses to hazantsu, hundred foot kick, ultra so I have to block hazantsu now. If I am lucky on the oft chance I can get an ultra 2 on block but she just jumps and it wiffs. Nice… back to blocking that hazantsu then I guess.

The only thing I can think of is to keep meter till super and hope she fireballs and fierce super!!!???

OK so any one got a better experience of this match up or am I the only one who hasn’t figured Chunli out.

Thanks for any help you can give to this player.

As far as I see it I have to shut down the Hazansu consistently. A deep hazantsu can be punished by oicho but a light touch by a hazantsu can not be punished as double pumping it or neutral jump are her best options off to beat the oicho. ultra 2 does not work in this situation ends in Oicho whiff, ex kicks, ultra punish. okay so that isn’t consistent? meet in the air? she hazantsus, butt stomp, depending on distance it will at least trade all other distances trade in her favour.

Ok, so your best friend in this matchup as in all matchups is st. hk. Your entire goal should be to get into st. hk range. Once your there, your st. hk will beat his sweep, st. rh, and st. mp. To prevent you from getting to that range, he will want to throw fireballs, hazanshu, or walk back. Focus will beat fireballs and hazanshu unless he chooses to spend meter. So walking up to good st. rh range and then either pressing st. rh or focusing is a good way to make the opponent second guess himself/force a mistake… If he walks back, just take him to the corner. HP Headbutts are actually really good in this matchup until she gets ultra. She cannot punish them, you get huge chip, you get closer to her, you build meter, and sometimes you counter hit a button or a fireball as its coming out for huge damage. Its worth doing. If she tried to bait head butts by neutral jumping, just use that opportunity to walk closer to her so you can harass with cr. lp xx hands when she lands. If you are afraid of neutral jump HK, you can focus it and dash forward to have a good shot at hurting her. If the neutral jumps get really predictable (and they will if you represent HP headbutt enough) then you can just swat her out of the air by going up and meeting her with j. hp or hk. Her jump is really floaty, so it should be easy to antiair her with lp headbutt. Your best jumpin is j. mp. A competent chun will shut out most other jumpins. You also need to maximize the damage off your touches. Cr. lp xx EX hands, st. mk xx headbutt and cr. lp xx ex hands, cr. hp xx HP hands, HK are extremely hard hitting punishes that don’t need charge for one meter.

you seem to have a lot of trouble with hazanshu. You need to get comfortable focusing against chun to stop this. Focus is really good against chun in general in all matchups because it beats sweep, st. hp, fireball, and can crumple hazanshu. Those are 4 things that chun really wants to do, so getting better at when to focus and focus dash through things is essential. Obviously focus is less good when you are in cr. lk range cuz he will probably get out EX legs, but honestly if you are that close to chun, you are winning the match anyway cuz of the threat of massive dmg off cr. lp vs oichio mixup is really strong.

So by applying all this (headbutts, neutral jumping over fireballs and stop signing to get closer, bullying her with st. hk, jumping in) you should eventually get chun to the corner. You must not lose this corner control at all costs. Because when chun is cornered, you can just bully the shit out of him with st. hk and he has a really hard time jumping over you with his floaty jump to beat lp/ex headbutt. He will do anything to get out, including testing your reactions with hazanshu and getting the legs combo at the end to get out. His desperation will make him predictable and you can beat him because of it. If chun tries to frame trap you with hazanshu, use a 3 button tech to beat it with cr. mp + lk + lp. This will make it so that if he grabs you, you will tech it, but if he hazanshus, you will hit him out of it with cr. mp. Note that this OS does lose to regular old frametraps so you do need to know when to just block. That said, if you successfully block the hazanshu, you are going to be close to chun at slight frame advantage or even so this is really good for you.