Gamma Tornado!!!

Hey folks!

I’m a Hulk fan myself (I find he is a great anchor, Hulk level 3 X-Factor has wiped entire teams!) and I have a question for all of you about Gamma Tornado.

You see the guide REALLY seems to emphasize that it is a huge part of his game but I never use it because I don’t really see how you can start a decent combo with it.

What are your thoughts on Gamma Tornado? Do you use it? If so, how and when do you use it?

Hulk is a terrible anchor agains anyone who knows a little about the game.

Anyway, Gamma Tornado can be kara’ed from B, for a ridiculously ranged grab. Also you can mash the button for extra damage (up to 150k I believe). I believe the best solo followup after the grab mid-screen is dash, jump, Gamma Tsunami, for about 350k dmg. If you throw then into the corner, you can Gamma Wave OTG into Gamma Crush.

Could you let me know why you think he is a terrible anchor?

he needs support. he isn’t mobile so he needs cover to move around the screen, especially against teams/characters that zone well. hes also pretty unsafe and smart use of assists can make your offense safer.

Yes he has the worst mobility in the game. His solo offensive pressure can be completely negated by a opponent who isn’t stupid enough to fall for super-armor and blocks and pushblocks Hulk. Every character in the game can lame him out easily if he’s alone. Also he has very poor shenanigans for getting in and most of them only work on tall characters (like a high/low mixup). Every blocked normal and most Gamma Charges are unsafe so people who know that can give you a hard time.

I don’t think mobility is one of Hulk’s problems. His dash covers 45% of the screen, and Gamma Charge closes the gap fairly well. He’s not on par with say Wolverine or Feilicia, but for a big guy, he can move.

It’s mostly his slow normals and unsafe specials that hold him back, and of course good zoning makes it hard for him.

You forget that Hulk has a command grab.

Also, the “worse mobility in the game” title goes to Haggar.

From midscreen you can hurricane into a million point combo. I think that makes it pretty damn good. Not to mention its one of Hulk’s best options against shorties like Ammaretsu. Also gives Hulk a lot more options when you train your opponent to look for blocking the s.mp and instead you grab them with m.hurricane into a million dmg. That’s power.

what million point combo?

Biggest downside of tornado is that the ideal position to land it is when the opponent is cornered and it tosses him out of there. However it’s range is indeed ridiculous and I’m having quite a bit of sucess late cancelling c.a, c.b, into it.

Eventually I’ll post it, I just discovered it this morning and am still testing different options out but so far I’ve cleared the million mark with 4 different teams. Keep in mind its midscreen not full screen but so far I’ve done it with 3 different teams and counting. Most I’ve gotten is 1,388,400

From full full screen as in opponent against wall I’ve gotten Tornado into 882k damage and pretty sure if I used a different team I could go higher. //edit got 939,500 not sure off the top of my head if there’s a team that can go higher that might be the cap for full screen off of tornado.

At least tell us how many bars that combo uses and if it involves x-factor. 1.400.000 with Hulk only? That would be sick.

It requires an assist, 1 bar and xfactor. So far I’ve done it with 8 different assists. That’s for the mid screen. Full screen is even more character dependent and probably not practical.

Alright just finished testing and its really not that difficult - midscreen (half or little over half):
m.tornado xf dash otg assist s.f s sj m f s wave gammacrush thc
note because of how much meter is built during the tornado and the sj combo you can do this with only one bar ready and easily clear the million mark

It works with the following OTG assists:
Shehulk
C.Viper
Ironman
Sent
Dante
X-23 (strict easier if you skip the fp and just go straight for the s launch)
Deadpool (strict same as x-23)

Does not work at all with Akuma, Wesker, or Dormammu. Akuma’s is too delayed, Wesker and Dormammu don’t otg from far enough away. Easiest are Shehulk, Sent, and Dante.

Full Screen
m.tornado hyperwave XX projectile whatever you want. Just let the hyperwave hit the ground and then immediately do whatever projectile you’ve got and it connects. Ryu wasn’t able to do hyperhadouken XF hyperhadouken but Dante for example was I think because Dante’s bullets are spread out. Works with Sentinel hyperdrones as well. (can you tell I don’t know the correct names of these things lol)

if you’re using (lvl1) xfactor you don’t need assists to clear 1 mil midscreen off a command throw. just 1 bar.

tornado throw, H gamma charge, gamma quake, XFC, j.H, j.S, cr.H, S, sj.H, sj.S, L gamma wave (another bar is built), gamma crush.

just under 1.2 mil.

Thanks for all the great ideas. Also I switched hulk over to second character, and sometimes I bring him out first depending on the match up. My team is Wolverine / Hulk / X-23 and I have applied a lot of what you folks have taught me here. I’ve been doing MUCH better, I still need work though! Thanks for the combo, I’ll try it out tomorrow morning.

Tornado throw, dash, Shulk OTG, j.:s:, walk forward, c.:h::s:, sj.:m::m::s:. Does 623.1K Not sure if it works with other OTGs. Just make sure you walk forward as much as you can after the floorbounce to make sure you’re close enough in the corner.

This is nice because you can do it from a corner TT and carry them all the way to the other side. If you are midscreen, you can usually finish with sj.:m::m::h::s: OTG wave xx crush in the corner.

Edit: Found a way to make this slightly more reliable, posted above.

Also, if you tornado throw into the corner, you can :s: sj.:m::m::h::s: OTG wave xx crush

THat isn’t true. Haggar has a wave dash and many options to close distance. they aren’t the best but wave dash does a lot

I think many of you underestimate what the command throw does for your team when u condition opponents to be wary of hulk hyper armor.
it can be cancelled into a weird tick from cr :l: cr :m:, it can be JUMP CANCELLED from dashing forward, making hulks awkward dash much better, and u can do over 60% damage off of any connection.

if you dont have an otg assist, best u can do is :qcf:+:atK: :atk:
but if u have wesker [samurai edge] or sent [rocket punch] (these work best for me when i’ve tried it)

command grab, dash, call assist, jump forward air :h: air :s: land cr :m: :s: super jump sj :m: sj :m: sj :h: sj :s: land gamma wave xx :qcb: + :atk::atk:

Best part is it works on scooby if you can ever get close enough.

Has anyone tried hugging the wall when a new character is coming in and going for H+Tornado? If that works, its a little gimmicky but would mean a dead character as you would throw them right into the corner for some hulk smash time.

ive tried it but there are ways around it and even if there weren’t, it is pretty inconsistent. but imagine the mixup you bring immediately: if they press a button, u can just s :h: and go into launcher. if the player is capable at all, the next time the opportunity presents itself, i doubt he’s gonna press a button when he comes in. just command grab with :m: or try to catch him in the air with :h:

Its freaking dirty as hell. I really enjoy hulk but I feel really bad using him because honestly, he is a very strong point/2nd character.

So he has a lot of easy tick/kara throws using Gamma Tornado, and his kara throws have ridiculous range. Often they include a small window of super armor from the normal you cancel, also (obviously only while the normal is happening, not once it’s canceled into the grab).

Here are my three favorite kara throws:

:m: ~ Gamma Tornado. It’s quick, moves him forward a ways, and grabs. You can use :l: or :d::l: into :m:, then cancel it also. Very easy.

:h: ~ Gamma Tornado. His giant hulk first actually shows up on the screen and appears to hit the opponent on the head, and then Hulk grabs them. If they fear the :h:, this is easy. You can also :l: or :d::l: directly into it.

Forward dash ~ Gamma Tornado. Here’s the trick - his dash is jump cancelable, and jumps can be canceled by specials. So the motion is something like dash + :f::df::d::db::b::ub::m:. It looks really weird. Since it adds some considerable time to the startup of the throw, I think this is mostly used in a situation where the person has done something risky that puts them at a disadvantage. For instance, you just blocked a chip super or something similar and they’re at a frame disadvantage. They want to block now. This is a good way to get in and punish that.

Can mix it up with dashes canceled into Anti-air Gamma Charge ~ :h: followups.

Tick throw wise, I like his :l: and :d::l: into Gamma Tornado, and I really like :d::m: late canceled into it as well.

I think it’s a great addition to his game if you have an OTG assist to help make the reward worth the risk.