Gamerfinger Optical PCB & 8Bitdo N30 Arcade Stick

Hi,

I was wondering, since gamerfinger optical PCB needs 5v from the 8bitdo N30 PCB, beside soldering to USB at which point/cable should I solder the 5v cable in order to still be able to play it wirelessly using the battery?

Thanks in advance.

Before anything else, you need to determine can you even get 5 volts from a battery powered PCB.
Yes the USB connector supplies 5 volts, but the battery and board probilly runs on 3.5 or 3.7 volts.

You need something to boost the voltage back up to 5 volts for your optical gamefinger PCB.

1 Like

As I don’t know the draw of the gamerfinger optical PCB, so I don’t know how many amps you need
But something like this would be what I start looking for

With something like this would definitely power the optical PCB, but its intended for certain applications.

1 Like

actually, the operating voltage for the optical PCB is 3.3V to 15V. so it shouldn’t be a problem running from a 3.7V battery that came with 8bitdo.

Well just identify a VCC point somewhere on the board. If nothing else where the battery positive connection is on the PCB, or somewhere along that PCB’s power rail/trace going from that battery.

there’s no available/visible VCC point, so I guess I have to solder the cable to the battery positive.
any additional advice would be very appreciated.

You would have to probe around with a multimeter to find it

1 Like

if I use a DC voltage step-up/booster like you suggested earlier, would I need to solder the ground cable to the booster too? or just the VCC cable since the optical PCB already connected to common ground?

I got this little thing…
1.8V 2.5V 3V 3.3V 3.7V To 5V Step Up Power Supply Voltage Boost
Input Voltage:0.9-5V;output voltage:5V
Maximum Output Current:480mA
Starting Up Voltage:0.8V;output current:7mA
Input Voltage:1-1.5V;output voltage 5V;current 40-100mA
Input Voltage:1.5-2V;output voltage 5V;current 100-150mA
Input Voltage:2-3V;output voltage 5V;current 150-380mA
Input Voltage:>3V;output voltage 5V;current 380-480mA

I’m a total noob in electrical stuff… but I know how to solder…

update
great success for the vcc point.
now I just have to wait till my optical PCB arrive.
3.7v to 5v dc booster 8bitdo 1 3.7v to 5v dc booster 8bitdo

update!
At last, after so long my optical PCB arrived.

it’s working perfectly, and I’m loving it!

2 Likes

Nice build, big props!

Optical sexy as always! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Turns out I don’t need to use voltage booster afterall.
Gamerfinger Optical PCB works with 3,7v.