Full Metal Stick

thanks for the update tony. i didn’t have a ride today though because my car keeps blowing fuses so i have no turn signals, gas gauge, tachometer… damn it now that i think about it, i should have just driven there anyway. :frowning:

If he removed that thick plexi, the height might be perfect.

Nice sticks, but all metal should mean, ALL METAL. The protruding plexi kinda ruins the lines making it not so elegant.

Bring on revision 2:wgrin:

Once you get this stick revised and streamlined to the point of perfection, AND can mass-produce them, you’ll easily see tons of people wanting your sticks. Any word on estimated pricing?

Very true, version 3 will have to have counter sunk plexi. :slight_smile:

Or better yet, No plexi.

Plexi is irritating. Its nice on a wood stick to have over your art or if you cant work with metal but there are other ways to do the art and you dont have to worry about the delicate, fingerprinty, plastics.

METAL ONLY!!! :rock::rock:

Damn Deci…I wish I had seen this thread before Evo so I could of bugged the hell out of you on this. I woulda asked for a stick instead of money for the room. :razzy:

The all white stick you first posted looks the best to me. I just love how it’s all flush and has no plexi bulging off the top of it. The surface just curves right down onto the sides instead of a crazy death edge like the plexi normally gives.

But I can attest to the greatness of the stick you brought to Evo. I know my support isn’t like the word of Mago’s, but everyone that touched the thing loved it and wanted one for themselves, including me. You and your roomy have some serious awesomeness going on here.

Hey deci idont mean to step on your toes or nuthin but, if you guys(Timoe,Notanoob) and whoever else wants to see a solid aluminum stick with no plexi or art just click here.
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=135539

lol like i said before, the stick height is correct. i think it’s an optical illusion based on the fact that the ball top is not on there and seimitsu shafts are wider than sanwa ones. or it could just be that some people are used to playing on sticks that are too tall. ex: kevin shtkn’s stick is way too long (no homo)

hmmm i didn’t know so many people were interested in sticks that had no lexan. it’s not too hard to do other than hiding the screws. djfunskhun has a cool idea for this on his stick for it, but i’m not sure how sturdy having the screws that close together is? i have a couple of ideas on how we might hide them. the new design i have in mind might work.
or you could always keep the lexan but have the top piece of metal cut out like a picture frame and the lexan recessed underneath. this would be ideal but i wonder how hard it would be to make look clean. i think doughnut has an idea for this.
hey djfunkshun, is there any metallic sound when your hitting the buttons on the bare metal? i know it sound slightly higher pitched on the metal we are using. how does it sound on aluminum?

and lastly, we really haven’t decided on price but probably $160 - $180 before shipping is what we’re going with.

purrin, don’t worry you’ll have plenty of time to bother me about sticks. i’m going to try to make it out to as much guilty gear stuff as i can so i can stop sucking at that game. also you have my number so hit me up whenever.

evo worlds was the most fun i’ve had in forever and i really appreciate you letting me stay with you guys.

as for support. pfft top may player in the us! (well you and pulsr are top 2 right? i’m not sure who is better). i’ll take that support in a second. it really means a lot to us.
next time i see you, i might be bugging you for some publicity shots haha.

My ideal stick would be

1. Wide like the Virtua Stick HG
  2. The lowest profile case possible that can still fit a Sanwa stick properly.
  3. No plexi
  4. Changeable and powder coated metal top panel
  5. Rubberized case (Line-X, Rhino Liner, Gator Grip…)
  6. No plexi
  7. Bottom case lid
  8. $160 - $180 before shipping

I’m not sure about sound cus it doesn’t have any guts yet but as far as strength of material aluminum is great holds up very well to all kinds of weight and pressure. The sheet of aluminum this stick was built from is an eighth of an inch thick. Which may not seem like alot but believe me it is more than able to handle the tuffest loads.

changeable metal top?

rubberized case would be cool lol, wonder how much that would be to do.

what do you by bottom case lid?

djfunkshun… oh i know aluminum is quite sturdy. what i meant is mounting the joystick the way you did to hide the screws. would having all the force in that small area cause warping or bending of the aluminum with use over time? i know some people really like to push the stick hard. i guess it might not be too much of a problem unless it were a happs… but i don’t know, i just tend to favor functionality over form if i have to choose.

nicest sticks i’ve seen yet

tutorial perhaps?

we might put up a good tutorial at some point.

but the basic idea is you take one large sheet of metal and bend it so that it will we be the top, 2 sides, and part of the bottom. (drill the holes for buttons and stick before you bend it)
for the other two sides, you can do a number of things but the simplest would probably to take two strips of metal and make two bends on these so that they are basically a side, plus two tabs.
you fit the sides into the original piece and weld it together.
then just drill some holes in the bottom to attach a bottom piece.
the stick pictured on the 1st page has a slightly more complicated construction but is fundamentally the same.
i’m also working on a design for a box that won’t need to be welded, but that has not been completed yet.

hmmm if i get some pictures of a box before it is put together it will be easier to explain.

Thanks a bunch. I’m || <-- that close to understanding completely, sounds simple enough.

Tools/Equipment/Experience required? Sounds like a fun project.

let see… the better tools you have and the more experience, the cleaner you can make the box. but here are the basics:

um tools… you need a drill obviously and the correct bits for making the holes. (also a bit for countersinking holes is nice too)
you also need a metal bending brake for bending the metal. i’ve seen these go for as low as 40 bucks. and if you go with a design that requires welding, you would need a welding torch as well. if you want to opt out of welding you can always bolt the metal pieces together.
the easiest way to get the pieces the size you want is just to have the place that you buy your metal cut it for you.
after that, the standard stuff you need for building sticks would come in… lexan, paint (not actually necessary if you use certain metals and want the metal look), solder, soldering iron, hot glue gun, and something to mount the pcb on to that would insulate it from the metal (wood, plastic, or rubber will work).

as for experience… um you’ll probably screw up somewhere a long the line (with the bending or the cutting) but you’ll learn as you go. you might need to get enough metal to build a couple of sticks but it’s not that expensive.
you do need some experience with welding and cutting metal though. but this can be avoided by having the guys at the store cut it for you, and bolting the metal together instead of welding. (you can use glue for metals too, but i haven’t tried that yet)
as for sodering the pcb and stuff, there are already pretty good guides around here for that. it’s not too hard.

it is a pretty fun project. although if you’ve never worked with metal before it can be somewhat difficult. lucky for me my roommate (iamdoughnut) is pretty experienced with all the metal working aspects of the project and i am learning from him.
(thus if you have any detailed questions about metal working, iamdoughnut should answer them instead of me)