Fighter's Destiny: the Declassified Guide (N64)

The skinny
So I’ve been working on this guide for the N64 Fighter’s Destiny. There’s so, so little info for it floating around, so I figured “what the hell, better get cracking on a guide for a dead game” and clear things up. It’s a WIP, but I’ve been sitting on it for so long that I figured I should just put it out there and see what develops. It’s an interesting game–if you play Virtua Fighter you’ll probably feel right at home–but I’m shocked that no one’s spent time looking for the cheap shit before. That’s what happens when nobody plays a dead game, I guess. Here’s hoping this can turn a few heads:

Fighter’s Destiny: the Declassified Guide
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwHQbgL5SDjadXZrcW5HY1dRTkE/view

What the heck is Fighter’s Destiny
1998 N64 3D fighting game. Made by the guys who handled the Dreamcast port of Virtua Fighter 3tb, and cut from the same cloth. The presentation is beyond bland (and some of the characters are downright bizarre), but it’s neat. With points instead of rounds, lots of grapples/reversals, spacing/baiting strings for counter-hits, deemphasized oki, and high-stakes OHKO options, there’s lots of changes to standard genre conventions–and tons of buried tech to discover, like infinites, Lazy Throw Escape, unblockables, and Counter teching. Try it out! It’s about time we made up for 17 years of silence.

What will I need to play
Without a Memory Pak or two you’ll be playing with gimped movelists. This guide assumes you’ve unlocked everyone’s skills already. The moves are easy to unlock, but it’ll take some time. If you have Fighter Destiny 2 it takes longer, so yeah have fun with that

Gameshark code to unlock the other characters:
50000E01 0000
80307349 0001

Shoutout to @GhostHawk for reminding me this game existed in the distant past of 2014.

2 Likes

Yooo, good shit. I’m always hype for obscure games’ tech.

While playing casually against friends, I thought Master was top tier and Joker was shit tier (no real connection to their name.) I guess I don’t know jack shit about the game.

Master’s no slouch. I only put him that low because of how little he can abuse compared to Meiling or Bob or whatever. He’s got upsides–but he struggles with the block button, which bites when you don’t have Locks to tell people to stop.

I’ll admit I’m overrating Joker (the tiers aren’t that far apart, at least not yet), but he’s the total package and has some cheap toys to play with.

Interesting read

You got any match vids for us to watch?

I don’t have a capture card and own a toaster, so no dice. There’s some okay ones hiding in Youtube, at least.

This one’s pretty clumsy, but it shows some of the goings-on.

These–and others by this uploader–show some more advanced gameplay.

[details=Spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gifqVHd_cXY

I loved this game back in the day. Glad to see it getting some recognition by someone.

Hahah, I almost forgot this old game existed. Haven’t played it in 15 years, I think. I recall mashing with Leon and Master, for the most part.

Combos? Combos.

Here’s a video that @GhostHawk made. By the standards of the guide it’s rather dated (and several are Training-only), but some of it’s still good:

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2WYb2MVZRM

Here’s a Joker video from @AcidGlow (who has shitloads of videos for the game):

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0B54zbn0Z8

And here’s a prototypical list of combos for everybody. These assume you’ve unlocked all their skills. I’ll add them to the guide at some point:

Spoiler

Ryuji
CH 412B, 5B(G), 6AB, 5A = 61 damage
412AAB(G), 6AB, 5A = 61 damage
[412AAB(G)] = Infinite. Timing’s a bit tough to OTG correctly. Slowdown can make this a bitch to time–and if the spacing is off the last hit won’t connect, resulting in a literal failure to launch.

Abdul
CH 3B, 44BA = "Knockdown! Three points won!"
But seriously folks, don’t bother.

Pierre
CH 2B, 6AA = 47 damage
6AB, BT 2BBB, BT 5A = 70 damage. BT 5A is slightly plus on hit.
6AB, BT 5BB4B, 5A = 72 damage. With Transform 1+, replace 5A with 6A(A/B) for a mixup.
CH 2B, 5BB(G), 4B = 59+ damage. Requires Transform 3+. If timed correctly, 4B restands with advantage.
Damage listed at minimum Transform levels. Every subsequent level of Transform adds 2 damage to each hit.
(You can also do 6BA after front-facing combo starters to end in BT)

Leon
CH 6B8B/3B, [5BB6B, (6)…] = Infinite. End with AAB, 66A before you reach a ledge. Replace 66A with 2B for less damage but better frames, and 2B with 6A for even less damage but slightly better frames.
Leon’s infinite is so easy it makes other combos pointless.

Tomahawk
CH 46B, 5BBB, 9A = 99 damage (very disadvantaged. End with 2A for 87 damage, but better frames).
Instead of ending combos with an OTG, Tomahawk’s 246A+B can be used as the opponent rises. Other holds can do this do, but Tomahawk’s does a lot more damage, so it’s worth a try. Doing so does ~91+ damage, depending on your opponent’s mashing skill, but puts Tomahawk at disadvantage.

Meiling
CH 3B, 2A+BAAAA = 75 damage
CH 1B, 5BB6BA = 74 damage
CH 2B/3B, [5BBB(G), (6)…] = Infinite. Very challenging.

Valerie
CH 46B(G), 5BB(G), 5BB(G), 5BBBA4B(G), 5A = 101 damage, possibly more (or less). Incorporates her infinite since it’s easier than Meiling’s. Holding 6 seems to help. Lots of possible ender options, like 6A(A/B) mixups, 64B(G) bait, and so on.
CH 2B/3BB/46B(G)/6AB/5BB6B, [BB(G), (6)…] = Infinite. Can be used the same way as above.

Bob
CH 2B, 5B(G), 5BBA, 5A = 55 damage (Delay 2B or you’ll get Blasphemy Chop instead. End with a meaty 42B for 46 damage, but massive plus frames when they block)
Bob sucks at combos. CH launches are hard for him, so just punish with Inashi or 62A+B for less of a headache.

Ninja
CH 5B, 632B, 46B, 1B, 6A, 214B = 98 damage. Might be able to squeeze in a 5A ender for 107 damage.

Boro
CH 3B, 44BBB, 9A = 88 damage (very disadvantaged. End with 5A for 66 damage, but better frames)
Pretty much every launch will lead to 44BBB since it’s so consistent.

Ushi
CH 2B, 4AAA, 5A = 54 damage
CH 6B, 5BBBB = 70 damage
Ushi also sucks at combos. Front-facing launchers (like A+B4B) can lead to a raw A+B three-way guess.

Robert
CH 2B, 3B(G), 5A = 32 damage. Be sure to delay the 2B or else you’ll get Practice Left Punch by accident.
Robert also sucks at combos. Landing B or 2B leads to throws or whatever anyways.

Master
44B, 5ABBBA = 79 damage. Very easy. Works after 46B, despite looking like it’d whiff.
[412AAB(G)] = Infinite. Same deal as Ryuji.

Joker
44BB, 5BB6B3BA = 87 damage (the last hit may not combo, I’ll have to double-check)

I’ve omitted a bunch of launchers and Reels for the list, but the idea is that landing a CH/Reel, dodging a KD (or having them block yours), or dodging/blocking/whiff-punishing a Counter/Parry guarantees combos like the ones listed above.

This is so awesome. Fighters’ Destiny’s concept of the health essentially being a stun bar and the point system has always been interesting to me. Really glad to see a proper breakdown of how the game is played.

Not sure when I’ll get around to full movelists, so I’m just going to list version differences (USA/JPN) here and finally make them public knowledge. For starters, JPN is an earlier revision (1.2433), but a later build date (March 23 1998). USA is a later revision (1.2495), but an earlier build date (Dec 4 1997). All non-JPN versions are based on USA.

I’ll be examining the JPN version, and I’ll bring up Fighter Destiny 2 from time to time. Generally, every character has one different attack between versions, or minor changes in move properties.

Obvious differences
-Title is Fighting Cup.
-Announcer is different (still speaks English, but not very well). He returns in FD2 (JPN), unlike the USA version.
-Voices are different, save Robert. Some of the actors are reasonably well-known, but aren’t individually credited.
-Training mode options are differently named (‘Hi’ instead of ‘High’ etc.), very minor stuff.
-Ninja is named Kaze. Boro is named Eyvokan.
-Some of the sound effects are different, but nothing major.

Differences of note

[details=Spoiler]-Abdul lacks 44BA in this version.
-Abdul has a low-profiling mid on 1B. It’s very awkward, but it returned in FD2 anyway.
-Pierre’ BT 5B is a slower, stronger high spin-kick instead of a modest mid uppercut. This is preserved in FD2.
-Pierre’s BT 8B keeps him BT in this version.
-Leon lacks 6B(8B) in this version.
-Leon has an extra followup to his jabs: BB4B produces a reasonably long high kick. Definitely not as good as 6B. 6B returned in FD2–this didn’t.
-Tomahawk has a followup to 4B in this version: 4BB, a slightly delayed but extremely damaging high kick.
-Tomahawk has 44A, a goofy low that leaves him BT. It sucks.
-Tomahawk lacks 28B, making his paper-thin Counter game nonexistent.
-Strangely, none of the listed Tomahawk moves above returned in FD2.
-Meiling’s 4B(G) is a CH launcher in this version(!).
-Valerie’s 44B is waaaaaaaaaay different in this version. The startup is hella long, making it one of the worst Counters instead of one of the best. It’s safer on hit, though. Sadly, this was retained for FD2.
-Bob does not have 42B. Not having Buster Sword is pretty dramatic. It returned in FD2–as an unlockable skill.
-Bob has an extra followup to AA: AAB is a crappy slow unsafe high. Next.
-Ninja’s face seems different somehow.
-Ninja lacks 22B.
-Ninja has a followup on 4BB: 4BB6B, a respectable mid kick. It returned in FD2.
-The unlockable characters seem identical(?).
[/details]

Whether Fighter’s Destiny or Fighting Cup formed the basis for Fighter Destiny 2, I really can’t say.

Unrelated trivia, since I don’t know where I could put these in the guide:
-Leon has a hidden just-frame(?) on 9BB8B. Normally the 8B (Sun Knuckle) is an unsafe Counter, but if you delay it just enough it becomes a slower, safe KD attack instead. It even has a different name (Sun Knuckle 2).
-Masahiro Onoguchi must have had a thing for the sun or something, since Leon’s 6B8B is called Combo Del Sol–the same name as that wrestler from Fighting Vipers 2.
-Apparently hurtboxes are turned off or something during Inashi–if you dash into an opponent as they recover, you can pass right through them. If they hold G, you won’t.
-Bob has a Low Spin Kick on 6A (like Leon), but it seemingly only comes out during a dash. It’s iffy, but I can’t find any other way to pull it off.
-Blocking makes you slide backwards a fraction, high guard moreso. Theoretically you could retreat by mashing G, but it’s pointless.
-Parries work while BT, hitboxes pending. Speaking of, Leon’s parry has the best hitbox (Valerie’s upgraded parry has the widest active window).

One day, I know that my life will depend on a FT5 in Fighter’s Destiny. This thread will help me prepare.

The one true way to settle a score is indeed with a poverty game such as Fighter’s Destiny.

Fighter’s Destiny was destined for mystery game tournaments.

Speaking of mysteries, I’ll be double-checking to see if repeating Ryuji’s 412AAB(G) is an infinite or not. It seems like it is, but I’ll need my second pair of hands to test if buffering 2G stops it. If it doesn’t, dang yo

EDIT: Infinite. Similar to Abdul’s 44BA in practice. Unlike Master, Ryuji doesn’t have a (practical) Reel or a CH 3B, so I wouldn’t expect it to be a common occurrence–and the spacing and slowdown can be fickle. Master’s version is a little scarier thanks to his 46B and CH 3B. Guide updated to reflect this.

“Fighter’s Destiny” is probably the hypest name for a fighting game I’ve ever heard. That is some prophetic shit. Street Fighter and King of Fighters sound pedestrian in comparison. If I knew nothing about any of them and I had to play one off name alone, you bet your ass I’m picking motherfucking Fighter’s Destiny.

Great work, IM_Amazon! Just recently I started messing around with this great game again after many years and I can’t believe that I stumbled upon a guide that was posted only a few days ago.
I’ll just post some of my thoughts, feel free to add it to your guide if you consider it relevant.

Game mechanic-related:

(I know this one is mentioned in the Guide, but you didn’t go into details) If you hold A+B while not holding guard or Hirari, you can regain your life back, it’s as fast as regular auto-refill that you get when your character enters Piyori condition.

When in Piyori, you can mash A+B to regain your life back more quickly. This is especially important for characters with low health, Pierre and Mei Ling can get out of Piyori condition pretty fast this way. You just need to dodge your opponent’s Special attempt (if it’s not a special throw), mash A+B and you’re back in the game with all health refilled up to the start of the purple section of your life bar.
Regarding health recovery when not in Piyori, you can buffer this during some combo strings, while hanging on the edge (and moving left/right on the edge). It’s especially useful if you start holding A+B right before escaping locks, just time it in a way that you button hold your last button press used for escaping the lock. You’ll start gaining health back before most lock escape animations even finish and if you space yourself a bit by backsdashing and gain some distance while still holding A+B, you’ll recover a significant amount of health.
You can recover or at least start recovering your health during any action except Hirari, guard and power up moves. Pierre can recover his health even when lying on the ground and doing Caterpillar/Worm Bag (sideways roll), it’s especially important for him since he has the lowest health among all the cast members. He can’t recover health using this method during Transform. The same rule applies for Ushi when she drinks milk.

Every non-secret character can unlock 10 extra moves. One is obtained from clearing VS CPU mode and up to 8 moves total can be obtained by playing Master Mode. One extra move can be obtained in the 2 player Win or Lose mode.

Character specific stuff:

Leon
What I think is important to note about Leon parry (Body Attack Throw) is that he’s the only character that can parry not only punch attacks, but kicks too. If I’m not mistaken, that way he can parry all of the high/medium attacks if timed right.

I’ll write a few tips for Pierre, he’s my favourite character in FD

Since Pierre is the character that needs to be unpredictable in order to win and considering that he has the least amount of life too, you need to be careful about his health. Regain your health whenever possible, he has some pretty good movement options when BT (roll, walk away from the opponent, lie down), when he’s lying on the ground facing towards, you can do Caterpillar and Worm Bag, so you can hold A+B to recover health during all of the mentioned moves. Every bit of health counts. When you get into Piyori condition, if the opponent goes for a Special knock down, try to dodge it and mash A+B as fast as possible to get out of Piyori condition.

Another thing that the player using Pierre needs to utilize in his game plan, it’s Pierre’s Transform power-up. This is the best way to compensate this character’s low health. Aim for doing power ups not only when far away from the enemy, but also after getting time outs and after winning rounds. If it’s the last second of the round and you know that it’s going to be decided by Judges score, power up (he keeps the nose for upcoming round and for the rest of the match). If you’re about to win with a ringout, you have enough time for one Transform. Try to knock down your opponent with a move that does not have a long recovery (2 6 while BT – pretty quick, or basic 3B) and then before the announcer says „Knockdown, X points won“, do a Transform. Also, sometimes it’s best to do a Transform when you first get your opponent into Piyori state. Against characters with large amount of health like Bob and players who don’t mash A+B to escape Piyori, you have enough time to do one Transform power-up and knock them down. It’s best to get as many power ups during the first few rounds since you get to keep them for the rest of the match, and if you’re going to lose a round because of doing many power ups, try to lose it with a time out or a ring out. You can even be cheap and get BT and dash out of the ring to avoid (Special) Knock Downs. Don’t get too reckless with the Transform power up though, if you do it for the 6th time in a match, Pierre’s nose will blow up. It’s a proper clownish act to do in a match after winning the last round, but if the fight’s not over, besides looking silly, Pierre will lose all of his ability boosts.

With a Level 5 Balloon nose, the clown gets ninja-esque and can take away anyone’s full life bar in one single combo, including Bob’s and Joker’s.

Pierre Juggle combos:

1. His Lie Face Down (LFD) 6 B is a really good tool. If you see a slow, high hitting Instant Down move coming your way, instead of dodging with 2, do a 22 to do LFD, then CH with 6B which can set up for B B B 6B and gets you BT from which you can do the basic 5 A for extra OTG damage (I would need a 2nd controller to test if the 5 A is unavoidable, but I’m pretty sure it’s a guaranteed 14-24 HP OTG hit after the full juggle combo, much like Abdul’s CH 3B 44BA unblockable.
    By Dodging slow attacks with 22 (LFD) you don’t risk getting hit by mistiming the regular 2 dodge and all the high/medium attacks completely miss Pierre while LFD, yet after the LFD 6 B you have plenty of time to follow up with a combo.
  2. His 6 A B is a pretty good guaranteed anytime-launcher, but you have to hit the opponent with it’s second hit, and the two hits do not combo. Thankfully, it has a pretty good reach and hits mid, while having a variation with 6 A A which hits low, so if opponents predicts that you’ll do the later variation, he might want to go for Hirari and get launched.
  3. Third way to set up a juggle combo is to get into BT+LFD and CH with B from there. It has better reach than LFD 6 B and you can combo it into BT B B 6B or BT 2 B B.
  4. Fourth way to set up a juggle combo with Pierre is to hit with his Reel attack, Satellite Kick 6 4 B from BT stance, then launch with BT 6 B, OR manually turn towards facing the enemy and do the good old Vertical Ducking Upper (2 xx B )

Did you know: Fighters Destiny : D (fun facts)

-Ryuji was called Saeki in the Fighters Destiny Beta. For Fighter Destiny 2 they changed his name back to the original one because they wanted to give players an impression that there were many new characters in the sequel. Besides that they wanted to move away a bit from SF similarities. Mei Ling had a small aesthetic change too - they changed her hair color to red, which resulted in a less obvious Chun Li connection/influence and made her more similar to Ryuji, the game’s other poster character.
Still’ those decisions didn’t stop developers to try pulling out a Blanka/Dhalsim thing with FD2’s Ziege/Federico.
FD1 Ryuji could quite possibly be a reference to Ryu’s original appearance in Street Fighter/Fighting Street.

-Ninja character is inspired by Virtua Fighter’s own Kage Maru (in the Japanese version, Fighting Cup, Ninja is even called Kaze). Ninja’s alternative costume color could be a reference to another popular video game Ninja, Strider Hiryu.

-Pierre was called Pielle in the Japanese versions of FD and FD2, in the sequel you can see a zeppelin with his original Japanese name written on it and unchanged in the USA version. In the First game beta, he was called „Crown“

-Pierre Stage in FD1 might have an Italian plumber cameo, on the center of the ring you can see something that could possibly resemble Mario’s face. However, it’s not that detailed meaning it’s hard to tell whether or not this is a cameo, it could be Pierre’s face too. The cap is weird, and he has a star over his eye, much like the real Pierre. However, Mario’s trademark in SM64 is a shiny star, so they maybe wanted to reference both things.
(on a sidenote, I was 100% sure it was a Mario cameo all up until the era of HD TVs when I considered the possibility of that image actually being Pierre’s face)

-You’ve probably asked yourself why was Joker Russian, yet he does not have a Russian accent or any connections to that country whatsoever. Well, it’s a reference to a lethal game of chance called the Russian roulette, since when playing the Master mode player feels pretty much like playing Russian roulette having the fear of the Joker slots and knowing that it can result in a game over.

-Robert is an early prototype basic character model, dating before they even created real character models. Later on during the game development, the basic model that we now know as „Robert“ was used as a training dummy, but since they already animated some really slow basic moves exclusively for the dummy in order to give players a chance to react to most basic types of attacks in training mode, they decided to include him as a playable bonus character. Due to the game’s high risk/reward nature, it was still possible to win matches using Robert, despite the fact that he’s just a joke character.

-In the Japanese version, Ninja is Called Kaze, Pierre is called Pielle and Boro is called Eyvokan

-In the German version, Boro is called Heidi, Valerie is called Sabine, Bob is called Pablo, Ushi is called Emil

-Unlike the USA/UK version, German version of Fighter’s Destiny had pretty spot on translations. English localisation team completely forgot about finishing Master monologue translations where he’s giving tips to the player if he enters Training mode from Escape/Special/Aerial submodes. There are even some ??? marks left that were about to get the most proper translation and context but it seems that the team completely forgot about those.

-It’s important to mention that all of the European versions of Fighter’s Destiny were noticeably slower, due to PAL TVs usually not having 60Hz support in the 90s and N64 PAL releases being adjusted to work properly on 50 Hz TVs. As it matters for racing games like F-Zero, it also matters for a fighting game like this. But still, although slower, the European version plays smooth and with no extra slowdown at all.

-The original name for the game was supposed to be Struggle Hard. They renamed it to Fighter’s Destiny for the USA/PAL release later on and Japanese version (which came out later) was renamed to „Fighting Cup“. The publisher had to deal with copyright infringement in the USA. There’s not much info about that topic available on the internet nowadays, but it can be speculated that the trouble with the copyrights was the reason why they suddenly decided to go for an early price drop without no real marketing for the new game, probably not shipping that many units because publisher was fearing the outcome of copyright infringement.
Still, the publisher was aware that they had a pretty solid product there, an unique fighting game with many creative ideas, done in 3D during an era when 3D fighters were really getting popular, on a system that handles 3D graphics with ease, but has no other above-average 3D fighting games for competition. So they decided to give the game another shot with a rushed quasi-sequel named „Fighter Destiny 2“ so that they avoid further copyright problems, but at the same time make sure that fans of the original recognize the new game.

I have fond memories of this game. Thanks for the hard work!

Good stuff, obiiwan. I’ll get around to adding some of this stuff eventually.

I never noticed this–I guess I was expecting it to be the held A+B or nothing. This’ll help Bob/Master/Joker/Robert/Ushi a lot, since otherwise they’re in Piyori for like three hours.
EDIT: Added to the guide.

If I’m not mistaken, you can just get a couple Memory Paks and earn some moves in Master Challenge. Then you just go to Win Or Lose and sandbag to transfer them to another character. Rinse and repeat.

I assume you were testing this against Robert? His kicks hit really high. From what I can tell, parries are differentiated by their hitbox height and little else. Since Leon’s is higher in his head, it’s better at catching really tall highs (EDIT: Forgot to mention parries don’t do shit to lows; added that too).

I toyed with adding similar info to the guide, but I figured the risk/reward from doing Special/Transform etc. was evident enough. If I ever get around to full movelists I’ll add this stuff there.

1. I never even considered this–I always thought it’d be too slow to both duck under a KD and CH punish it. If it isn’t that’s really helpful (EDIT: BT 5A OTGs don’t combo, depending. They’re slightly slower. 6BA is negative on hit, so it’s more for the possible BT situation than anything).
  2. Yep. Worth noting that it’s not really a scary mixup until Transform 1+, which beefs up the hitstun on 6A. Forces them to respect it more on hit.
  3. This seems decent, if slow. I wonder if 22 is fast enough to avoid Palo Special post-Inashi.
  4. Satellite Kick is fine, but being BT at a distance where it would connect uninterrupted seems unlikely.

Citation? I’m always hunting for more pre-release info.

And in the French version Valerie is Gretel for some reason.

For some more trivia, the character select looked slightly different early on (original source lost; retrieved on a lone Tripod site):
http://cmaclellan.tripod.com/fighter.html
3D portraits, Ryuji facing the wrong way…interesting that Leon was Italian here. Explains his stage in the Coliseum.

someone played Toy Fighter/Waffupu ?
Is like a sequel (same development team) but unfortunately it was not converted for console, is only on Naomi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ6CqQQoTx0