FGD Lounge: for general fighting game discussions that aren't thread worthy

I want to know why KOF 98 is so popular? i’ve only realised this whilst looking around GGPO. The KOF98 rooms seem to be packed at all times… so someone explain to an ST player why 98 is so good.

KoF 98 is a good game.

<div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>fisticuffs games</span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”><br></span></font></div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoWgLss9Zo0</span></font><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ420XN8Tek</span><br></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vQtpT4e2Js</span><br></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4wAaQug4HQ</span><br></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J9jJI08b3k</span><br></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”><br></span></font></div>

<blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/17765/jedpossum">jedpossum</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>KoF 98 is a good game.</div>
</blockquote>

i know. i’m not trying to start a sf vs kof discussion, i’ll even agree that kof98 may possibly be better than ST based on its popularity. I just want to know how the objective of the game differs to ST… like landing crossovers to win a match, etc…<br>

For starters you have more mobility options in the form of the different type of jumps, that alone changes how those games are played.

I grabbed two bursts in a row in GG. People online are afraid of Slayers j.H CH. Hell, any Slayer CH makes people burst. I just knew he was going to burst. On the same move. Both matches.<div><br></div><div>It was a great connection for me but he said it was unplayable. :(</div><div><br></div><div>[details=Spoiler]</div><div>Unplayable because he lost his soul.</div><div>[/details]</div>

<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/7004/Hecatom">Hecatom</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>For starters you have more mobility options in the form of the different type of jumps, that alone changes how those games are played.</div>
</blockquote>

interesting, how much does the jump height effect how KOF98 plays in comparison to ST?<br>

World Heroes Perfect was better than any version of Street Fighter 2 until Super Turbo came out.<br>

<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/55137/bkfst_sausage">bkfst_sausage</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>World Heroes Perfect was better than any version of Street Fighter 2 until Super Turbo came out.<br></div>
</blockquote>

WHP is the game Team NINJA secretly wants to make with DOA… except with more titties.

<div class=“QuoteText”><a href="/profile/3476/Sexperienced.">Sexperienced.</a> said:interesting, how much does the jump height effect how KOF98 plays in comparison to ST?<br></div>
</blockquote>

Well, how much more effective would most SF characters’ offenses be if their jumps were twice as fast?<br><br>That’s how.<br>

I wish GGXXAC+ had replays. So hard do I wish this.<div><br></div><div><br></div>

<blockquote class=“UserQuote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/3476/Sexperienced.">Sexperienced.</a> wrote: <a href="/discussion/comment/7994672#Comment_7994672" class=“QuoteLink”><span class=“ArrowLink”>»</span></a></div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>Hecatom said:<br /><br>
For starters you have more mobility options in the form of the different type of jumps, that alone changes how those games are played.<br /><br>
<br /><br>
<br /><br>
interesting, how much does the jump height effect how KOF98 plays in comparison to ST?</div>
</blockquote>
I remember an old youtube vid of a Japanese match between a Cammy vs O.Sagat, where the Sagat basically forced Cammy to jump straight up over and over to avoid getting hit by either the Tiger Shot or the Tiger Uppercut should she try to advance. I’d imagine this match would have been completely different if she had access to a Super Jump, Short Hop, Super Hop and Evasive Roll.<br>

What exactly are “simultaneous button cancels” in the Genesis/MegaDrive version of HF (Special Champion Ed)?

<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/34626/AirLancer">AirLancer</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”><blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteText”><a href="/profile/3476/Sexperienced.">Sexperienced.</a> said:interesting, how much does the jump height effect how KOF98 plays in comparison to ST?<br></div>
</blockquote>

Well, how much more effective would most SF characters’ offenses be if their jumps were twice as fast?<br><br>That’s how.<br></div>
</blockquote>

despite having more mobility options kof’ seems to be a lot slower and less precise than sf.<br>

<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/34626/AirLancer">AirLancer</a> said:</div>
</blockquote>

Well, how much more effective would most SF characters’ offenses be if their jumps were twice as fast?<br><br>That’s how.<br></div>
</blockquote>

kof characters seem a lot slower than SF characters.<br><blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/20671/the7k">the7k</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”><blockquote class=“UserQuote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/3476/Sexperienced.">Sexperienced.</a> wrote: <a href="/discussion/comment/7994672#Comment_7994672" class=“QuoteLink”><span class=“ArrowLink”>»</span></a></div>
For starters you have more mobility options in the form of the different type of jumps, that alone changes how those games are played.<br /><br>
<br /><br>
<br /><br>
interesting, how much does the jump height effect how KOF98 plays in comparison to ST?</div>
</blockquote>
I remember an old youtube vid of a Japanese match between a Cammy vs O.Sagat, where the Sagat basically forced Cammy to jump straight up over and over to avoid getting hit by either the Tiger Shot or the Tiger Uppercut should she try to advance. I’d imagine this match would have been completely different if she had access to a Super Jump, Short Hop, Super Hop and Evasive Roll.<br>
</div>
</blockquote>

maybe so but i’ve noticed that the more mobility options a fighting game has the slower they characters are. is it possible to have sf style precision spacing in kof?<br>

</blockquote>

</blockquote>

kof characters seem a lot slower than SF characters.<br><blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteText”><blockquote class=“UserQuote”>
<br /><br>
<br /><br>
</blockquote>
</div>
</blockquote>

maybe so but i’ve noticed that the more mobility options a fighting game has the slower they characters are. is it possible to have sf style precision spacing in kof?<br>

<blockquote class=“UserQuote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/3476/Sexperienced.">Sexperienced.</a> wrote: <a href="/discussion/comment/8001940#Comment_8001940" class=“QuoteLink”><span class=“ArrowLink”>»</span></a></div>
<div class=“QuoteText”><br>
kof characters seem a lot slower than SF characters.<br /><br>
<br>
maybe so but i’ve noticed that the more mobility options a fighting game has the slower they characters are. is it possible to have sf style precision spacing in kof?</div>
</blockquote>
I’m not an expert, especially on older KOFs (First KOF I played seriously was KOFXI on Atomiswave - while I enjoyed the older KOFs, I never had any real local competition with them or decent internet growing up), but I feel that even if the characters are technically slower, the game <i>feels </i>faster because of all the mobility options.<br><br>By spacing, do you mean zoning? Or do you mean using pokes to keep enemies at bay? Either way, KOF definitely has both. In most KOFs, I play characters with very far-reaching, meaty pokes (Clark’s St.D in KOFXIII is one of my favorite attacks of all time) to control the pace of the match. As for zoning, it exists, though not quite in the same form as SF. All the mobility options means it won’t be <i>as </i>effective, but it is still very effective.<br>

so how did you guys do at your first ever tourney? I’m going to FR and just wondering how to combat the inevitable nerves

My bad wrong topic. Disregard this post

<div class=“QuoteText”>By spacing, do you mean zoning? Or do you mean using pokes to keep enemies at bay? Either way, KOF definitely has both. In most KOFs, I play characters with very far-reaching, meaty pokes (Clark’s St.D in KOFXIII is one of my favorite attacks of all time) to control the pace of the match. As for zoning, it exists, though not quite in the same form as SF. All the mobility options means it won’t be <i>as </i>effective, but it is still very effective.<br>
</div>
</blockquote>my definition of spacing is simply holding or tapping back to evade attacks and moving forward to counter said attack, this is more noticeable in a game like alpha2 because of proximity blocking, not so much ST… i’m currently looking for an example to show you…<br>