Fantasy Strike - easy to execute fighting game

Fantastic post. You totally understand this.

Fantasy Strike will also appeal to SOME existing fighting game players. I’m one of them, and I’ve introduced it to a bunch more who like it too. Just depends on your tastes really. If you’re an MvC player and want mega combo execution etc then yeah, I wouldn’t think this would have much appeal to you. Heck, read my OP, I said in that the kinds of players I thought this would most appeal to there as well.

I hope many of you try it out though one day, as they HAVE come up with answers already to how to do charge moves - on a meter as explained above, and also they are really wary of how good a DP type of move is in this type of game system, and every DP-style move has some vast downsides to them - for a start, most of them are Super moves only, so also on a meter essentially.

I can confirm it was true. At one point Yomi was close to being an official SF2 card game :slight_smile:

the point of my post is there are ways to work around changing inputs by changing the game design as well. My point was there is no need for complex controls. The arguments I’m seeing here raise good insight of why we use the motions we use, but they don’t argue well against why a game can’t control like fantasy strike does… Whether the developers realize the potential pitfalls, and how they will overcome them through how they design the game is to be determined. But again, there’s no reason why they can’t do the controls as they are, as long as they can make it work, and it can through mindful game design. Will the meta end up comparable to other fighting games? maybe not. But maybe it will be pleasantly different and fresh by the time it is finished.

I wouldn’t say those games are all that simple really. Basic strategies can be very effective in them though as long as you are good at understanding the opponent which is definitely Sirlin’s style and his absolute obsession with “Yomi”. The problem here though is that everyone is being reduced to basic strategies without any layering going on which still to me doesn’t seem like the best idea if your favorite thing is the decision making of fighting games. Again, when the options are so limited, figuring out what your opponent wants to do is really easy because in most situations there’s only one or two things they even can do to begin with. You’re not making reads so much as you are brute forcing the matchup. Seeing early footage of matches in this game already makes it look like it’s going to be MOBA levels of counterpicking in a fighting game which sounds super whack to me. There is some compensation by making move properties ridiculous, but we’ve seen games with ridiculous move properties before like Marvel and that doesn’t stop bad matchups from being horrible. I get where you’re coming from and Sirlin’s ideas make sense on paper, I just don’t think they make sense in practice.

Well, Sirlin seems to enjoy more the whole decision process of “I did this because you thought I was going to do that, so I did this instead”.

Also, coming from ST and A2, these guys probably do like counter picking (remember, Sirlin ran Ryu, 'Gief and Rose in A2, sometimes bringing all three out in grand finals).

Sirlin’s definitely on record as a vocal opponent of character lock.

So apparently Sirlin attributes blatant theft of animations and lazy design work to being “remix culture”.

http://thehoopla.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/bullshit-meter-2.jpg

Good lord. Despite both being DPs, a Volcanic Viper is not a Shoryuken. You could at least do this much with deGray’s Dandy’s even if you want to keep the Pilebunker looking the same as the card. Same goes for most other characters; the cards have a single frame on them. Make the animations unique around said frame.

It’s Skullgirls all over again…

Your jealousy at Mike actually being able to put out a good game is showing.

I think calling what he’s doing “remixed” is bullshit because there’s nothing remixed about it, the shit is the same. You can say they have different properties but that’s in the grand scheme of things a marginal difference. This is basically a western version of one of the numerous Chinese clone games.

It’s not a ripoff, it’s remix culture! Nah son, that’s a ripoff. It was a ripoff when it was on a card and it’s still a ripoff now. Just because you were unoriginal 6 years ago doesn’t mean you’re suddenly original now.

We’re totes original, guys:

Codex Reaver:

Spoiler

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/50f14d35e4b0d70ab5fc4f24/t/56bc05ce45bf21e4826b79d4/1455162840020/?format=500w

Starcraft Reaver

Codex Nebula:

Spoiler

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/50f14d35e4b0d70ab5fc4f24/t/56bc06391d07c0c1265b9e7e/1455162945141/?format=500w

Starcraft Arbiter. Is anyone surprised that it makes other units invisible?

Codex Void Star:

Spoiler

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/50f14d35e4b0d70ab5fc4f24/t/56bc05e52fe131cc9e2e6f20/1455162862691/?format=500w

Wait, I thought it was called a Void Ray…

Codex Carrier:

Spoiler

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/50f14d35e4b0d70ab5fc4f24/t/56bc05fb45bf21e4826b7afe/1455162913788/?format=500w

Did you know Starcraft has Carriers that looks surprisingly similar and make a bunch of little units that can’t exist apart from the main unit?

Have an Up Hawk for the lulz:

Wake me when he does.

We would if your head wasn’t so far up your ass because of your own biased. Game you don’t like != bad game.

Mike has included in his game a number of ideas/concepts that would make any fighter better.

Going back on topic, the thing that would be applicable to our discussion here is his theory on inputs. Skullgirls does have traditional move inputs, however, even he admits that some inputs are unnecessary. So his rule is that anything more complex than a qcf, hcf, dp, rd, sonic boom, flash kick, or 360 motion is unnecessary. Half circles are only for when you run out of motions to assign a move to (which is never in his game) and he states that any competent player can pull off hcfs just as fast as qcfs, so it’s just unneeded complexity. Compare with DPs which, alongside being a smidge harder to pull off than qcfs, require the player character to stand (or should require them to do so).

As for input windows, he’s come up with a formula for them - 4 framed for every input, plus an additional 4 frames for every time two inputs are not beside each other (e.g. going from forward to down in the dp motion).

TL:DR Mike’s created a sort of compromise, a halfway point between traditional inputs (which his game does have) and the direction that some have been going with 1 button moves (admitting that some motions are unnecessary).

Reminder that his game directly copies the following move animations for its characters

If you really think pointing out extremely obvious flaws with Capcom and NRS games and addressing them in his own game makes him some sort of genius, well… honestly that’s just more of the same SG fanboy gush I’ve come to expect from you. I think anyone with even a passing interest in competitive fighting game play is able to see these flaws and apply their own solutions. There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING about his observations or ideas that are earth-shattering knowledge. Just because he gloats about it like he’s the first person to make these observations doesn’t mean he actually is. And maybe if I followed his example and let Capcom do the hard part of designing my game for me, I’d have something out by now.

So yeah, don’t break your arm jerking him off, fanboy. Game you like ≠ good game.

I disagree with Mike’s opinion on half circle and greater moves. If competent players can do them, there is no problem. The idea that more complex motions are unnecessary strikes me as someone who doesn’t think about the implications those inputs have for very long. Consider the DP motion, why do anti airs consistently use a DP motion instead of a fireball motion or something easier/faster to input? Because the move is intentionally awkward and affects how fast you can input it which changes how you react to things. You could argue that the original goal was to allow for more inputs in the same button space, but I would argue that at some point in the last 30 or so years of competitive fighting game play that stops being the reason. Game developers wouldn’t KEEP doing DP motions forever just for that reason when there are other decisions you could make to solve that issue, and the community would not be so vehemently opposed to 1 button DP’s because of how they affect the meta and how a character is played. The same is true for half circle and other more complex motions. They have a purpose, you just have to design that purpose, and I think KoF and Guilty Gear do that very well. Mike has a lot of problems with KoF/GG inputs for seemingly no reason other than they “could be” simplified, but that idea is bunk to me, everything could be simplified a great deal, why stop at getting rid of half circles, get rid of DP’s and fireball motions too because those can be simplified and eventually you end up with Fantasy Strike and all of a sudden no one wants to play your game anymore. Instead, consider the implications of the motions and how they affect play.

For instance, KoF command grabs are consistently half circle forward inputs for 1 frame throws (barring a few of course for other reasons) while slower command throws are consistently half circle back or the variant half circle back into forward (barring a few of course for other reasons). This isn’t by accident or tradition, I refuse to believe that SNK over the past 20 years just randomly decided this and never changed it for no reason. Look at the applications of these moves though, with a 1 frame command throw what’s the one thing you would really love to have on the ready whenever you need it? Punishes, making sure people don’t get away with unsafe moves or people who are too cute with their frame trap pressure. Well as it just so happens 99% of the time your 1 frame command throw is a HCF input, which just so happens to start from a blocking position, which means you can easily block and transition into the motion to get your 1 frame punish easy. But, you might say, it doesn’t need to be a half circle to do that, it could be a fireball motion and it would give you the same result. And that’s very true, however that’s only one situation, but that motion affects you in all situations. What’s really awkward to do before buffering a HCF input? Moving forward! What’s a big part of KoF? Running! So these inputs also end up being more difficult to use in offensive situations. Not impossible to use, but because of the input, your 1 frame command throw will never come out in 1 frame or anywhere near that in an offensive situation because of how awkward it is to throw it out while moving forward, defensively it’s a 1 frame move all day every day, but offensively at BEST you’re looking at a 5 frame move, but more realistically 7 to 10 frames. You know what input is really easy to do while moving forward? Half circle back! And because of that, a lot of characters who are more offensively mixup oriented end up with half circle back command throw inputs (or the variant). BUT! What did I say earlier? Slower command throws have this input, and they are slower for the exact reason that they have this input. Because it’s easy to do a HCB while running (from the run input you can just roll a QCB and get the input in 2-4 frames), the throws are made slower so that they are not insane offensively, they become proper mixup tools.

You could probably look at some frame data and do some math and come to the conclusion that offensively, these two throws including the inputs will come out at the same time roughly, so the inputs don’t matter. But that’s also wrong, because those HCB moves are intentionally made slower, so they can NEVER be used in the same way as the 1 frame command throws can be used defensively unless they have invincibility. This creates an even further distancing in abilities between characters who are great at punishing and being a wall (grapplers) and characters who have strong mixup (rushdown characters) and allows you to give rushdown characters like Iori a command throw and it doesn’t break the game because Iori has all the options, because he doesn’t have all the options, he just has a lot of options. It’s very possible to be smart in how you design inputs and more complex inputs can be used effectively, it’s on the designer to make sure they ARE used effectively. I think to write off a game design element as unnecessary entirely is pretty close minded. I understand that it clashed with Mike’s idea for a fighting game and that’s fine and he’s totally right to want to design a game in that way, but I think it should be obvious that all games are not designed equally and what works for one game might not work for another.

No but remix culture tho.
Like how Vanilla Ice “remixed” under pressure or how Stree Overlord remixed Street Fighter.
As long as you have a limp-dicked excuse you can get away with actual theft.

I think you’re missing the forest for the trees. The point was that, maybe there is a point of compromise. That maybe, there is a certain point (that may differ between the games) where some inputs become unnecessary. Even KOFXIV did this to some point, specifically with removing the pretzel input for Geese’s Raging Storm. I was using Skullgirls simply as an example of a game doing this.

That said, Mike does acknowledge that the motions do serve a purpose in regards to how a move is used. This is why he still uses traditional DP inputs and was very critical of P4A using 2 buttons for “DP” style moves (and SF’s new DP shortcut), since it takes away the slight awkwardness of the motion, and the fact that the motion in itself requires the player to stand their character, adding extra risk. Also, regarding the half circles, a good number of the things you described can be applied using quarter circles, even the bit with command throws. In fact, Skullgirls does have a characters with runs and command throws. Both Valentines’s Mortuary Drop and Fukua’s Inevitable Snuggle are qcb+p+lk, both have slow start ups (25 frames for Valentines, 30 frame for Fukua, though the latter has 5 hits of armor). However, Fukua also has Tender Embrace which is qcf+lp+lk, and comes out much faster at 8 frames (for comparison, the fastest light normal is 5 frames). Meanwhile, grapplers with dashes instead of runs get faster throws, with Cerebella’s Diamond Drop (qcf+lp+lk) coming out in 4 frames with invulnerable start up.

My point was that some things can’t be compromised. The designs serve a purpose and you can’t retrofit different designs into old games and have them function the same. Fantasy Strike for all intents and purposes is BASICALLY SF2 but easy, and that doesn’t work because the SF2 stuff was not designed to be played this way so a lot of the depth and strategy is gone and things are thrown away and not replaced with anything. You have to design a game from the ground up a certain way, and these games like FS and Rising Thunder didn’t do that. They took the framework of other games and slapped on easymode controls and called it a day.

Also, you can’t possibly think that those SG examples are the same as the things I was talking about. The fact that you’re talking about an 8 frame command throw being “fast” at all immediately disqualifies the comparison. The concept is similar but the actual implications are worlds apart, we’re talking about literal 1 frame command throws, faster than any normal in the game, faster than the majority of supers, and it’s a non-meter option that grapplers have all the time without any cooldowns or required activations. You cannot give that tool a Skullgirls input and expect the rest of the game to work the same because it won’t. You would have to change the frame data to what Skullgirls did, which is why Skullgirls frame data is that way, but by doing that you are neutering the utility of the move as a punish move, because even a 4 frame command grab is too slow to punish a lot of things in KoF. Which, by the way, those things in KoF are designed that way as a balancing tool so that characters can get away with murder against other characters in the roster but not against grapplers, which is another way they force you to play that matchup differently, you can’t run the same mixups and blockstrings and get away with it. So by doing that you’ve either got to live with the fact that grapplers are just inherently worse or change the other moves so that grapplers can punish them, etc etc etc which is a gigantic domino effect that ripples throughout the entire game.

This is what I’m talking about. Geese’s Raging Storm didn’t need to get changed, but they changed it because it is historically one of the most complained about inputs in any fighting game ever. In games post-Fatal Fury, the input interpreters were so lenient that it was never an actual problem doing a Raging Storm, but that was irrelevant because it was notorious. That input too had gameplay implications that could have been designed around and in a way were, for instance Geese could not confirm into Raging Storm from a crouching normal, and only one of his standing normals could be special cancelled and it whiffed on crouching opponents, so if you were crouching Geese could not combo into Raging Storm, he had to make you stand and guess wrong to hit you with a low which altered his offensive strategy. But people complained about it so get rid of it. Compromise only removes the depth the game had originally. If you want to make an easy game you have to make a new game with new depth and a new design. SG was designed to be the way it is, the game works because it had blueprints and a mission statement and was not trying to be anything else outside of references. Compromise does not work.

Except functionally, there isn’t anything much different between a qcf and an hcf after a run. Most of us will naturally perform an hcf, or at least start from down+back, to clear the input buffer and avoid DP motions.

And then there’s stuff outside of command throws. For example, why the hell does King’s tornado kick need an hcb command? Majority of us can pull it off just as fast as if it were a qcb command. From where I stand, all it does is require a bit of extra finger gymnastics when doing BnBs such as cl.HK, df.HK xx tornado kick, which by the way, also shows that the hcb isn’t because they don’t want it to be confirmable from lows.