Fantasy Strike - easy to execute fighting game

Hmm, the game should have created it automatically. I’m not at my computer now, but iirc it’s just called displayname.txt and the only thing on the is your name. So you could just make one?

Lets go step further

Yatagarasu
Akasuki blitzkampf
Battle Fantasia
Virtual fighter
Senko no ronde
Pyschich force
Majority of touhou fighters

I mean only nitwit would think combo is what keep players playing such a niche genre

Play Zangief in any mainline Street Fighter game and you get used to having no combos

I don’t know maybe ask Justin Wong if he had fun at the Fanstasy Strike tournament?

It sure is impressive how many people who have never played this game, which plays quite uniquely, have such insightful things to add! Like “it sucks,” or “it definitely sucks.” Definitely adding to the discussion, guys! Especially because right now it’s kind of an argument between “people who have played it, and who almost universally have enjoyed it quite a lot” and “people who say it sucks, who have more or less universally not played it.” You know who are some folks who have played it, and really enjoyed it? Folks like Snake Eyez, Justin Wong, Filipino Champ, Man, Core-A Gaming… you know. Just scrubs and noobs. ; )

The biggest difference between this and other “simplified” fighting games is that stuff like Rising Thunder and, say, simplified inputs in SF4/SF5/MvC:I are designed by taking an existing thing and trying to carve stuff away, rather than starting from scratch with the goal of something more streamlined. In practice, it’s basically the difference between removing two wheels from a car vs. building a motorcycle from scratch. Most of the time, “simplified fighting games” haven’t worked, in much the same way that everyday fingerprint authentication was safely regarded as a silly waste of time until they nailed the execution on the iPhone 5S. This time… it works. They did it right, and it feels awesome, because the problem wasn’t the idea, but the execution.

What do I mean by “building from the ground up”? Well, every DP in the game has some sort of significant drawback to prevent it from being just too damn good by being a one-button thing:

• Grave (Shoto-ish main character) has his exclusively as a super, which means there’s a cooldown of something like 10–15 seconds before he can use it again. If it hits deep, though, it can do 2 damage instead of 1, which is good.

• Jaina (zoner who has everything a zoner could want) has a DP available at all times, except that it actually damages yourself to use it. As a result, it’s there as a sort of Whoops Button if the opponent gets through your hundreds of projectiles, but with the caveat that you’re looking to break even at best. (It won’t self-KO, though, so you can go nuts when you’re getting desperate, but then your opponent knows that and might play around it…)

• Geiger (charge character who plays kind of like a combination of Guile and SF5 Nash) has his special moves tied to a meter that takes about a second to fill, but empties immediately whenever you press “forward” for even an instant (so you can charge in place by simply not moving, or you can move back). As a result, he can’t walk up and DP, nor is his DP available for a second or so after throwing a projectile, nor is it available for a second or so after using his best normal (f.A).

There’s stuff like that all throughout that makes the game actually have fun depth to it, even when you’re playing at a high level, because it’s not just removing stuff from an existing system but actually building a new one with a deliberate focus on doing it right.

It might not have a ton for Desk to work with (though someone found at least one combo that does like 6 damage* or more) but man, I’ll tell you what: when I’ve played here in Japan with my fighting game buddies, after about ten minutes of acclimation there’s always a whole lot of hype-filled hooting and hollering.

*“This game’s damage is weird and too high,” complain people who somehow don’t mind that in SF2, Chun-li’s B&B was j.HK, HK xx legs for like 60% damage. The damage levels are just SF2-level, really, and so are the round lengths.

Having played a bit of this game online now it is SURPRISINGLY REAL. The mixups are real, the footsies are real, the strategy is all pretty real. You’d think having such simple characters would make it boring but I’ve been sticking with just Jaina and man, there is a lot of nuance to her moveset. She has a couple of different fireballs but like a million different chip set ups. I’m impressed by the depth of this game. It’s much deeper than I was expecting.

They posted a report from EVO, including the tournaments they ran, wish I coulda been there!

This game is pretty cool! :smiley:

Reading this got me hyped even more.

IDK you guys, but “main” FG are unnapealing to me as of now.

I found myself more interested on the Indie stuff, like FS, Punch Planet and Omen of Sorrow.

ok I played last night against a human for the first time. What was supposed to be a 45-minute look quickly turned into 2 hours of ‘it’s probably time to stop’.

Super simple to pick up, massive depth. Fast, complex rounds mixed with tense, clutch moments. Amazing game so far!

from watching the videos, kinda wished the movement was faster. Like if it had a turbo 1 mode the game would feel better.

I was worried too. Once you play and realise how committed everything is, it works really well. There is a huge footsie element.

Yeah, the first time you play a match against Valerie (rushdown character who plays kinda Fei-longishly) the immediate reaction is MOVEMENT is FAST ENOUGH, THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Oh, nice! There’s footage of Snake Eyez playing Lord Knight at EVO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmLSSLM7R7k

Fun to see the adaptations they do against eachother throughout the set ^^

Who knew that something that looked plenty good on FNF would turn out to be a legit fighter?/s

I honestly feel like i was the only person who watched and immediately understood what he was going for…

Man SnakeEyes was struggling once lordknight figured out he could use two j.As in succession.

Does anyone know if they are a true blockstring? I’ll post my thoughts that I also posted in reddit:

• Can rook hit C after blocking the first hit of val’s j.A? What about after hit?

• There were quite a few times Snakeeyes could have used j.B to get more horizontal reach and stop LK air camping.

• I think f.A is a surprisingly good anti-air for Rook

• Rook could potentially use n.A to duck that first hit of val’s air jabs. Not sure if rook would recover in time to C the 2nd hit though.

After playing the latest build online a lot, we’ve made a video about our impressions of the game, while also showing the current graphics and animations in high resolution.
Feel free to spread it around to people, veterans and non-FG players alike, to show them why the game exists:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DOtyseKkIc

Maybe also tip it to SRK front page.

Im legally hyped!

The developers started uploading character videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3jLI27ajDA