F.A.N.G. Match-Ups Thread

For anyone struggling with karin; st. lp knocks her clear out of resennha. No trade, just whacks her out of it. I abused the fuck out of it today and it worked wonders. Once you condition them to not do that, karin players will most likely fish for c.HK CC a lot(it’s quick and has a lot of priority), try to space an ambiguous crossup or keep footsie pressure with st. mk. Once she’s in, she can beat a lot of fang’s moves with c. mp and st. hp cc, so I try my best to preemptively keep her out the entire time.
Like I mentioned earlier, once you condition them to not ressenha so much, you can hover your fingers over HP to also condition them not to jump. Easier said than done, but she’s a character that I’m comfortable zoning and running away from. I don’t want to deal with those footsies up close.

Also about Karin, though I haven’t tested it for myself yet, Ressensha is -4 on block at best. You should be able to punish it with s.LP, s.MK, MP Lunge. Or, something like C.LP, Super.

I don’t know if her follow ups would change anything if you tried to punish her after blocking the first part. Maybe they’d come out mid way and mess up the punish? Not certain yet.

In any case, if you block the sweep follow up, that’s an easy S.HP, HP Lunge.

i agree that ryu is hard. most likely, ken too.

you have to deal with his fireball game perfectly to get things started (no mistimed mist, dual poison balls, command dash or coward crouch).

even then, its really hard to keep up with ryu’s consistency and trying to outzone him is a losing battle.

up close, ryu can just pressure you all day since almost all of his normals are plus on block. you can’t jump in because fangs jump is super floaty therefore gets easily dped.

i feel the only time fang has the advantage is within c.mp distance where all of fangs normals outreaches ryus.

if you’re on the losing end, it feels nearly impossible to come back outside of a few command dash gimmicks and hopefully you also poisoned ryu.

as for ken, watching hiros fang struggle against ken during WNF is very similar to fighting ryu. even with kens weaker fb, fang was having a hard time keeping up and negating his fireballs with the mist and twin balls.

If anyone has any concrete strategy, tricks or knows how the flow of the match goes against those two characters, it’ll be much appreciated.

We’re all doing pretty well. I’m in the same boat as you as far as SF. I mostly played the older games because I stopped playing 4 after vanilla.

Add me on psn Scoot–Magee

On topic now.

I had more success vs fang when trying to bully him into the corner. I worked on some good CH setups against him and it seemed to pay off. Thanks for the advice guys.

Was looking into some frame data today. Discovered that every overhead attack (with the exception of Chun-Li, because she isn’t good enough already), is at least -4 on block. That means you can punish them all with s.LP, s.MK, Special. This includes special attacks like Karin’s Ressensha.

Nash’s overhead is -6, so you can punish with c.MP, Special instead.

Necalli’s overhead is -6, so same as above.

Laura’s V-Skill Overhead is -7, so same as above.

Chun is -2 (both on her grounded overhead, and her cross up overhead), so you at least have the advantage. Since Chun has a great 3 frame jab, you’ll have to rely on your c.LP or s.LP to be sure not to trade with her.

I haven’t played enough of either shoto to really provide anything concrete.

That said I understand concerns about the Laura MU and have some advice dealing with her-

• Armor is a pain in the ass. Only times I can truly stuff it are when I anticipate and have cloud/balls active at once to at stuff it preemptively. Remain lame as possible and frustrate them into killing themselves.

• st. MP and cr. MK are pretty good for neutral since they both hit twice and reach out further than most of Laura’s normals.

• Stick with heavy cloud and light balls at all times. While I play Birdie and am probably jaded in this respect, Fang’s lack of a reliable anti-air is a pain in the ass. Light ball is the closest thing he has to a shoryuken and heavy cloud fucks Laura’s approach if she’s lacking or doesn’t want to spend meter.

FANG’s anti air is definitely reliable. If I time c.HP right I’ve had some ridiculous success with it.

If you’re worried Laura will EX Armor on wake up, besides throwing her, you can also pressure with c.MK. The two hits are quick enough that they can break the armor and score a counter hit, c.MP, Special.

And if you block EX Shoulder, s.HP, HP Lunge to punish. Lots of V-Reversal and EX Slide to make sure she doesn’t stay on you for too long.

Is there a visual or audible cue to differentiate between Light Elbow Rush and Medium Elbow Rush?

Great question, just tested it out.

Laura says, “Sore!” (“that” in japanese) when it’s Medium Elbow Rush. And the audio ends with a higher-pitch sound than the Light version.

I can’t hear the phrase she says for the light version but it’s definitely different enough for you to hear. Also the hit sound is different between Light and Medium so that helps.

Also visually, Light Elbow is lower when it hits you and the Medium is upwards towards your face.

Excellent, thanks for looking into it wrrza. I figured there was something. Anything to help the match up.

I think FANG has wonderful. AA. Anti-crossup cr.hp that goes into multiple things, st.mk for when they land in front of you, cr.mk could work as well (not used to using it though). For a lot of characters their whole thing is to get into you, an ex/hk dash to get out of the way is a great way to reset the situation and teach them not to rely on crossups vs FANG. I’m almost tempted to say crossing up FANG is one of the worst ways to open him up because he has a ton of options.

If you pushed them into the corner and they try to cross you up? cr.hp x ex bomb x ex lunge. Send them right back into the corner. (meterless
cr.hp x lk bomb) They have you pushed in the corner? They crossup and you dash out for free and make them go through your defenses again.

I’m finding an MP Lunge at the start of the match stuffs fireballs/dashes/tatsus vs. shotos. Of course they can jump right in on you, but it’s a good way to start off at an advantage if you’re feeling ballsy I guess.

vs Vega: Hoping you’ve been practicing getting st.lp x st.mk and st.lk/cr.lk CH combos down, that’s the way only way you can get through his pressure or teach him to back off a bit. If he’s a bit away after a blockstring (cr.lp mash) you can contest him with cr.mp and hopefully hitconfirm something.

in the air: just hit j.mp. An issue with the MU imo is that he can just get in on you when you’re just trying to escape his pressure and set something up. Anytime he’s free in mid-range be careful. He’s essentially safe on ex roll, use v reversal early on his ex roll to escape the corner.

When he has trigger…don’t jump…and be very, very careful by laying down anything. If he flies at you just cr.hp. Lab it up if you don’t feel confident hitting it.

I can’t get the timing for st.lp x st.mk xx lp lunge when doing it from standing(not already charging), is it possible? The prima guide lists it as possible, but I can’t get it.

Or I could be wrong and they just want you to do it in block strings/punishes like what you mentioned above.

hey guys i’ve been looking at frame data for many characters and found some small details of his play that we really need to research on. Here’s an examble against M.Bison

Bison cr. mp turns out to be +0 on block with a 6f startup. We’ve all seen the notorious CR.MP to CR.MP

in theory it is very possible to interrupt this sequence with a st. lp(counter hit)->cr. mp. in between his strong attacks. There is a 3 frame leniency window for normals to get this counterhit, so you have a total of 5 (3+2) frames to do this. you can also do lk, which combos into cr. mp as well, but you have a 4 frame window to get it

having knowledge on which moves that are +/- on block (during close encounters) is very important in turning over an offensive front

Tips for Chun?

FANG kinda feels free in this matchup. She completely negates his strong AA defense with her hop over crap, and can’t really deal with the sort of footsie game Chun has running very much. St.mp kinda keeps her out, but not to the point where she can’t do anything like the rest of the cast.

Lk is 5 frames. If bision is 0 on block and does another cr.mp it will beat lk clean because of button priority. Lp and cr. Lp are 4 frames use those instead.

her flip kick that i think you mentioned can be AA given not on your wakeup. its +3 on hit

build a wall with hk bomb and start throwing poison depending on the ranges. you can definitely mount some offensive stuff if she doesnt have any meter(or if you “think” she isnt going to SBK) and get out. Like in USF4, try to bait her into doing ex SBK for maximum punish damage

all lightning legs are unsafe on block from light to hk they are -8/-9/-10.
ex lightning legs are -2

dont try to press any buttons if she hits you with tiger knee lightning kick, shes getting a lot of +? on block. you can try to contest it by AA her (tried with cr. hp) and it will trade at best

most of her moves are +1-3 on block but here are some that you may consider challenging after you blok

st.hk -2
st.lk -3
st. mk -2
cr mk -2
use this info to your advantage

her overhead is -2 on block and reactable. your fastest horizontal attack could either be ex lunge or st mp. you can also block it and follow up with lk–>mp if it counter hits. if you perform it perfectly it will beat her 3f jabs

forward hk is -2 and you can do that same situation as i suggested to you above

of course anti airs and all that great stuff

btw this is all theory, I am definitely not the greatest fang or SFV player, but this is my experience playing with her and after reading the prima guide

Fixed, thank you. That must mean i didnt set up bison correctly (XD) but the cr. lp theory will still work but will have to see if it can reach the range :confused:

Edit: Bison’s cr. mp is a 6 frame startup, so ST. LT is able to beat it. However its a 4 frame window (not 5 my bad). I’ve tested this quite a while in training mode

What do against Evil Guile

Yeah pls. This match is annoying. He doesn’t seem to have to deal with my zoning due to SB and can rush in at his leisure because FANG doesn’t have the best def options.

I am having a terrible time with nash as well next to rashid. heres some things that i have learned based on the online nash players:

it’s better to take the throw than to press buttons
don’t contest his cr.mp- you wont win and it will lead to a lot of damage on counter hit.

On the defense:

-At the start of the round, you are at maximum range for scythe if you were to press anything. be wary of that.
-Your anti air game needs to be SHARP don’t take his jumping attacks
-You can ex. lunge to absorb the fireball and hit nash, or if hes just walking toward you; its fast and hard to react. Optimal range to throw this: mid OR the transition from long range to mid. This is a good check to him as it’s completely safe.
-When you see a nash with full V-trigger gauge, “deconstruct” your wall and be aware for v-skill mixups. A very popular thing to do is to throw a sonic boom and v-trigger to make you block his mixup. I’ve forward jump, ex dash out of this situation many times.
-Btw save one bar for ex dash.
-As for the zoning game, you will win the long range zone wars. Throw your bomb down first and start chucking. BUT, like what many people have discussed about his zoning game, it’s simply put as:
"its a lot of work to keep his zoning game up for little reward"
but for everyone playing fang, this is what we signed up for. At least he isn’t next to you.
-You can try to contest his ST.MP(+0 on block) with a st light or st. jab to be safe.
-Cr. forward is -4 on block

Reguarding his special moves:**
-Moonsalt is almost op in my book as (F***ing) capcom made it safe on block(+1 at least for all strengths) and is horizontal-moving. You can hit him during his startup frames(poisonz) or lk command dash under it(lol).
-All scythe moves are punishable on block. From LK-HP they are -7/-8/-15 respectively . Understand how you’ll deal with these on block.
-EX scythe is OP as FUCK: it is a quarter-circle anti air, will cover jump-ins at ANY angle, and he has invincibility frames (at his head). Ever heard of a quarter-circle-actived special that can do that? In any case, be careful when you plan to jump with meter on him.

“Offensive” options:

-Make him think twice for throwing out fireballs:
-you can surprise ex dash to:

1. throw him to set an offensive approach on him.
  2. st hk into however you want to play it out

-oki game works here as he doesn’t have the best wake up reversals AND/OR perhaps(praying) he breaks your series with a v-trigger reversal so you wont have to eat a mixup in the future…

overall, this match-up sucks, fang is a character where you cannot afford to make mistakes. these small details is what’s going to win this match. Hope this helps, and like i said before. I am not the greatest street fighter player, nor FANG player. This is just what i have learned from fighting nash and reading the prima guide.

Fighting Charlie is almost as bad as fighting Ryu. Weaker zoning but better offense.

Ex scythe sucks.

It’s a good anti air vs fang because fangs jump ins are garbage. His air normals doesn’t seem that bad but his floaty jump messes him up badly.

Unlike Adon, moonsault is too slow to be used as a main strategy. It’s good for Charlie to throw out once in a while to keep opponents honest, but Charlie relying on that move will get him blown up easily. You can easily lob twin balls against that move.