F.A.N.G. Beginner Thread

I’m a little uncertain about Fang’s s.HP and s.HK buttons. They seem integral to his game and I see a lot of players getting their damage from them, but being heavy buttons I’m concerned about using them in neutral, which is what I think I see sometimes. How are the startups on them? I know S.HK is +1 on block but does that make it a neutral option, or restricted to post-jump, punish, and oki? Can S.HP be a poke at a range to look for those crush counters, or is it too reserved more for clear punishes?
I’m still training myself to remove a habit of pressing bad buttons at bad times (punishing everything with sweep, for instance), so I don’t want to pick up any others by accident.

I think you’re right HK and HP are integral to his game but like a lot of things in this game they have particular times when they really shine and and of course they’re range dependent.

If you’re in close and the opponent isn’t pressing buttons then by all means go for st.hk, if it hit’s go for a combo if not then… don’t, that sounds obvious but I don’t see Fang’s really abusing it enough. Just watch the other guys meter and make sure you don’t eat an invincible reversal.

I don’t think punishing someone’s mistake with sweep is bad, it gives you time to throw out something and then engage when/if you’re ready (poison wall and then back off/mixup? Or poison balls and engage?)

I think the key to playing Fang successfully is by knowing when to be defensive and offensive and switching between the two to keep your opponent on their toes. If you can have a weird rhythm that they can’t quite get the hang of they won’t know how to approach.

I personally only use st.hp as a crush counter, most of the time I go for faster buttons.

The key is developing your own style with him, what works for one person might not work for you and vice versa.

I have to seriously step my game up with F.A.N.G I managed a win against a Laura and lost some other matches, but they were easily winnable. Now that I found out st. Hk can cancel I will definitely incorporate that.

I don’t understand how to read frame data and wanted to know which were the best, safest normals to use for Fang when up close.
Looking at the FANG section, I feel lost: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/feb/17/frame-data-street-fighter-5/

My main problem is dealing with up close pressure, either from Chun Li, Laura, Karin or even Ryu (he can even simply spam cr.lp and it seems to stuff everything I do). I know the idea is to keep them out so that it doesn’t become face-to-face, but they always get in. I block and wait for their combo string to end, but then it becomes a 50/50 guessing game if they will throw, special, or go back to pressing buttons and Crush Countering me.

With some practice, s.LP into c.MP will be useful when dealing with pressure. If the s.LP is a counter hit, it’ll combo into c.MP which you can then hit confirm into Light Lunge. It’s also +2 on block, so unless the opponent has a 3 frame normal they can’t stop your c.MP from hitting them. If they block, you can cancel the c.MP into EX Slide to escape if you want, or Light Trap to help build distance (If you’re not in the corner) and so some chip damage.

Alternatively, if you force them to block a s.LP, you can follow up with c.MK, which is also +2 on block. On counter hit, c.MP into special works. If they block, and you throw out a normal, they may just get counter hit anyway. Either way, it’s a great normal so be sure to abuse it a lot (Same goes for coward crouch kick follow up, but that’s more if you’re trying to be aggressive, not defensive).

Remember to use V-Reversal to escape. Many people are not adept at dealing with it, and F.A.N.G’s is quite good at escaping the corner/pressure. Our V-Trigger is nothing special, and most players let their V-Gauge sit full (when you could have used V-Reversals earlier in the match and accumulated a full bar later. Wasted resources!)

Ultimately it’ll help the most to know the enemy frame data. Laura basically is - on everything she’ll use to close the gap. All her specials, her command dash, etc, if you’re patient you can jab. I actually VERY rarely V-Reversal this character, because I know the frame data well enough that I don’t see a reason to at all. I think this match up will be in our favor.

Dealing with Chun-Li is flat out difficult. Her normals, speed, TK Lightning Legs, everything she has is excellent at combating us. I think it’ll be one of the hardest match ups for us in the end.

Thanks very much for that. Very informative there.
I’ll give those close normals and combos a try next time. And yeah, Chun Li can be scary. I remember almost getting double Perfected once. She’s like a one big blur in my face and everything seems safe for her. It’d be interesting to see how some of the top FANGs handle a top tier Chun Li.

I’m really struggling against Dhalsim. How should FANG approach this matchup?

I tried to lame him out, but he seems to outdamage FANG through pokes and combos. Especially his combos from instant air teleport hurts a lot if I guess wrong on which side he is.

Should I try going in for the offensive? Whats the best way to go in and how to keep him there?

dhalsim has to be pressured and fang can get in but be careful with u r fireballs . u can fish for limbs with hp crush counter into ex dash then dont let him escape gl bro

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere.

Anyone know what FANG’s fasted normal is? st.lp or st.lk?

Also, what is the recovery on the slide?

Rather than blocking the teleport, it’s better to hit him out of it. Of course, sometimes he’ll teleport with the cover of a fireball, so you can’t. I usually can just s.HP his teleport on reaction, or if I’m not confident I’ll simply jab him. Then you have frame advantage and can pressure him. Remember, his teleport is invincible to everything except throws, and only briefly, but at least it’ll help push him into the corner and limit his options further.

I usually mess with the fireball war a bit at the start. It’s pretty easy for Dhalsim to get poisoned if they’re throwing out limbs trying to hit you (as long as you’re mostly full screen they’ll simply “attack” your V-Skill). Your fireball will always out-zone his, so because he’ll likely be poisoned and/or losing the zoning war, he WILL teleport or fly to get in. His recovery on his fireball is also pretty long so you can take a gamble with a slide.

I have to seriously step my game up with F.A.N.G I managed a win against a Laura user and lost some other matches, but they were easily winnable. Now that I found out st. Hk can cancel I will definitely incorporate that into my game. I’m struggling against Ken, Necalli, Ryu, and Karin the most now.

]

you can st.mk on reaction to his teleport. HP is too slow as i’ve tried many times :/. I think staggering your zoning skills helps, because dhalsim wants to catch you on recovery from fireball/bombs

Quickest normal he has is st. lp. 4frame startup with +2 on block. You can combo into st.mk OR counterhit cr.mp

st. light is 5frame but still a good move and covers distances where st.jab cannot hit. also +2 on block

as for his commnd dash, the whole animation is consifered recovery…they are 29/30/31/33 respectively.

btw I actually did not know you can cancel some of the animation into the duck. not sure if that is practical though? maybe you can land on a different side if you do

st.lk?

I been winning some matches with him lately. Couple things I noticed he does counter hit stun damage on all of his normals. His pokes are a lot better than I gave him credit for and at least in my case it pays to be patient and zone with his poison.

Keep practicing with him mates, I am starting to really punish guys with my zoning and setups now.

yes. 5f, +2

light(lk)
forward(mk)
roundhouse(hk)
jab(lp)
strong(mp)
fierce(hp)

common terms used to describe buttons :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s actually short,forward,roundhouse, I’ve never heard anyone refer to light kick as “light” before:

Owned lol

my bad lol

From where is this info? I don’t see it in practice mode. The stun values feel normal compared to other characters and a jump in combo is around 40-50% stun, like most characters.