Every Day is SMP Day: The Naoto Thread

It really depends on the matchup. You basically want to do anything other than playing a midrange game; Naoto is good from fullscreen and she is good in your face, but she kind of sucks in-between.

Versus Kanji, for instance, I recommend zoning with traps and gunfire until you get a hit you can confirm into the SMP or IAD loops, then setting up a D trap 50-50 (or DP bait) off of that. Versus Shadow Labrys, you want to RTSD as hard as you can.

I don’t think I’ll ever do this combo just cause of that 1 part ill stick to easier ones i guess

You huys think they intended for the SMP loop? If not, you guys think they are going to patch it?

I’m sure it wasn’t intended, but I don’t expect it to get patched any time soon if at all.

edit: PS, I’m going to update the combos listed here with images now that I figured out how to do :snka: :snkb: :snkc: :snkd:

edit2: Also added fate data and the SMP loop off of sweep to the first post.

Thanks for adding the icons!

Thanks Narcowski!

Updated OP because :snkc: (ch) :uf::f: j.:snka: j.:snkc: is crouch only and :snkc: (ch) :uf::f: j.:snkb: j.:snkc: is stand only. Better get used to confirming stand/crouch - there’s not even an easy “covers all bases” option.

Is CH C common or is it just where you press C anyway because you want to IAD for pressure but end up turning it into a combo?

For those still having trouble with the SMP combos, if it involves [2C], do note that all 3 hits have to land.

As Narcowski said, she’s somewhat like a jack of all trades. Proficient in both zoning and rushdown, but completely proficient in both playstyles as characters with those respective playstyles would dominate her.

Also has anybody here been having success with playing “footsies” with Naoto’s 5C, 2C and occasionally her 5B?

Digging Naoto so far. And here I was figuring I’d be playing Chie or Aigis or Akihiko.

I like Naoto’s tricks so far. Just having trouble setting up the SMP Loop. I get to the Mudo and IAD over, but then I can’t seem to drop the trap in time to then hit the opponent… Not consistently anyway. Any advice or just keep practicing?

While it’s not necessary, for now, try jumping forward immediately and laying the trap the moment you land. The reason why some players do this is because sometimes while waiting for Mudoon’s mist to end, they input the command for the trap too early and it doesn’t come out, by jumping, they remove the timing aspect of it as the moment they land is about the same time the mist is over.

Yea, I figure it was something with the timing of the mist. I just kind of figured, since Naoto could move, you can set up as you want to. Shame that isn’t the case.

I suggest IADing not just to time the :qcb:+:snkd:, but also because it (seems to me to) get Naoto into the corner to begin the loop from a slightly farther distance away than otherwise possible.

Posted this in two other forums but why not here? I feel like I’ve hit a plateau with Naoto since I wasn’t as successful in last night’s offline meetup with my local scene. They all started to catch on to how I like to stagger bullets to get in free damage, actually blocking SB Aim, my 5C 2C footsies aren’t working and they keep disarming my traps. I’m also scared to attempt to get into 5A range because I keep getting outpoked into a 2-3K combo most of the time.
[SIZE=3]Maybe it’s just me and I simply need more match up experience, use Naoto’s tools better such as her 2B and sweep, or just get better fundamentals, but other than that, I’m somewhat frustrated right now. I feel that no matter how many times I lose, I barely learn anything when that shouldn’t be the case at all. :([/SIZE]

I typically don’t just walk up and do the D-Trap when I setup the loop myself. Getting the timing of when Mudoon ends isn’t all that hard and takes a few tries to perfect.

Finally learned one SMP loop, got up to 31 hits lol
Honestly its pretty decent once you get the timing …i noticed that you need to backup a bit in the corner in order to land the 3 hits of the crouching c
Most of my conbo problems really have to do with IAD…just find it really hard to do.

You don’t actually have to do the empty IAD in the SMP loop, it just lets you confirm it from farther away and times the trap perfectly at all distances. You also don’t have to back up to do the 2[C], you just have to delay slightly. There are various methods for timing this; I just wait, some people immediately backdash after 236A~D and then just hold 2[C] until it comes out, and you’re backing up. They’re all valid, so just do whatever works for you.

ps: The 5AA SMP loop goes up to 35 hits at most, so you’re nearly there :slight_smile:

lol sorry i should have clarified, the IAD helps me ALOT for the 5AA smp loop. What i meant was that i have a hard time using iad during midscreen/regular combos.

And I JUST got 35 lol

The combo after 214D (hit) / 2B (antiair) is definitely harder than any SMP loop, and quite possibly one of Naoto’s hardest practical combos overall. Getting the 5C IAD j.A/B j.C is the easy part, even; the hard part is correctly timing each on-landing 5C, I think. There is a trick to getting IAD after 5C though: 5C’s jump-cancelable frames come later than you might expect, so you kind of have to input 5C, wait for it to hit, and input the IAD in its hitstop. That’s how it feels to me, anyways. The other trick is to delay the j.A/B j.C very slightly; you need to have fallen close to the ground when the j.C hits or the enemy will be able to tech out before the next 5C hits.

Finally switched it up to the AA starter SMP and can nail it every time without problems… goddamn B, C, 2C starter one is killing me so I’ll just avoid it for now, plenty of other areas to work on.

Speaking of which though, can’t seem to get the D trap OMB mid screen one. I’ll hit everything but can’t seem to keep the loop (drops after 2, so I didn’t get it).

D trap, 2A, 2B, 5C, sj, jA, jB, JC, OMB, land and charge 2C, short dash cancel into 5B, B double fang.

Am I missing anything on that one? I may play with it so that instead of the 5C at the beginning I end it with 5C after the charge 2C like the AA start SMP.

Wouldn’t be a big deal, but I’d like to pocket those two loops for guaranteed damage when it counts then work on everything else.