Elena Footsies/simple punish?

Hello all, new elena player here and I could really use some help with elena’s footsies game. I’m really not sure what to poke/counterpokes i should be throwing out.

I’m also suffering with what will block punish with her? when I block constant pressure, usually multiple dp or dive kicks with simple string follow up sometimes (Im in low level play obviously) I cant seem to punish people for being so risky. The only button that seem to hit with some consistency for me is s.lk which I can’t seem to link to anything so its a really week punish.

Not asking for this much work from a high level player but this thread in the Blanka forums one of the most helpful I’ve seen. Not asking for that much effort but 1 or 2 moves with some insight as to why they are good for poke/counterpoke/whif/block punish would be great.

Blanka ex: Blanka Discussion #8: Footsies

Thanks

Well, punishes depends on the moves you block. But you can punish a lot of stuff with cr.jab (3f startup) and confirm that into cr.strong xx special.

I personally also use a lot of s.short (really good range and I like the pushback on block it has) and s.roundhouse (partially airborne, can stuff stuff) and you can buffer the short into whatever you need. I also like cr.short as they have to block it low. If you’re new though, I would just stick with cr.jabs. That’s what I did when I started with her.

Otherwise, just experiment because she has a lot of moves and see what you like.

Thanks Tod! I’m trying a lot more cr.jabs but I’m still having trouble with special abuse I see at low levels. ie: gief green first at me over and over until he either hits or close enough to spd. Or Chunli’s little flip to split kick then jab repeat. I can seem to get a poke in or punish people when I block it all.

Also, when do you stream? I’d like to watch some matches.

Zangief green hand is at best - 6 on block. If he’s spamming green hand stay outside the range of it then punish the recovery.

Chun hazanshu is either -1 or even on block. You can focus it or dp it if the chun is getting predictable with it. You should get a frame data app so you can use it as a reference. There’s a free one floating around I suggest that one.

Also just a quick reference

3 frames
cr.lp

4 frames
st.lk
super
ex and hk dp
cr.lk

5 frames
Cr.mp
Mk dp
st.lp

Keep in mind distance of the move you’re trying to punish just because cr.lp is her fastest move doesn’t mean it’s always the go to for punishes.

A quick punish you should learn while playing footsies would be

crLP - stLK - DP or Breakdance
stLK - Dp or Breakdance
crLP - crLP - stLK -DP or Breakdance

note: 2 crLP max if you are going to do 3 you mines well just dp afterwards)

I notice on big characters you have a better chance of starting your combos with stHP into whatever. Some smaller characters with wonky hitboxes can also hit with stHP but I can’t remember who.

When I was starting Elena my issues was what combo I should utilize after crumple since stHP whiffs on most. So I would just do crMP into a EX overhead and try to follow up with her extended combo.

I’m still learning Elena but I hope that helped…I feel Elena gets her rocks off with many many many pokes and being able to confuse your opponent with her high/low game…once you get a real read on your opponent …DO NOT DROP THOSE LINKS…if you do it’s back to square one…and that really sucks because it’s so freaking easy to stuff her #@$#@

Can I still play her kinda like how I play her in 3rd strike???