El Fuerte General Discussion Thread

On paper it sound crazy, maybe even nuttier than Abel’s COD. I’m sure in practice it’s not as bad but just written like that it screams ez-mode mixup, haha.

Both characters seem like they’ll be a blast to play, though. :smile:

damn! hahaha

nice nice, Im maining him too along with Rufus boy

yes, it’s cool until you realize how little damage you do, and one fuck up = you’re done.

n0thingman: I mentioned a lot of that stuff in the loketest threads earlier but I didn’t bother repeating it here. I didn’t know you could control the range of his attacks with the joystick though! That makes things much more interesting now, so I’ll give it a shot and see how things turn out. I still think he’s low tier because he has no way of pressuring opponents and really has to rely on just his run to do damage.

Are there any solid BnB combos with this guy? The only thing I’ve found was j.fierce, close s.roundhouse into either bodysplash or air throw. It does decent damage but I haven’t found anything else.

I see, I see. Yeah, I definitely expected some heavy countermeasures to it, whether it was nerftastic startup/recov or giving other characters heavy counter-measure options, or whatever.

Like you could just start closing distance fast and then you could hit high or hit low or hit overhead (goes over fireballs?) or throw or stop cold to bait a counter or just plain retreat… and I’m sure some of the attacks knock down. I trusted the devs would find reasonable play balance, and it just sounded a little too awesome to be thrown into a SF2-base carelessly.

Does running build meter?

Can the crossup body splash be made safe on block by directing his body to land farther away from the opponent but still hit?

Also, does anyone think that Fuerte could excel if you play runaway? I mean, looking at his tools, it looks like an opponent would have a terrible time of catching Fuerte and keeping him pinned down. He can run backwards and jump to the other side of the screen if the opponent gets too close.

you can use the splash to cross up the oponent if you are good at controlling the range (its quite hard to do since the splash is so fast)
i havent gotten good enough yet to reliably cross up when i want to, much less space it to be safe, so im not sure

i doubt you can play keep away well. i mean, he definetly can stay away from his opponent (his run is way fast and no one will ever keep up with his wall jump). you’re right, no one can keep him pinned down, but he wont ever win if he does that. he just doesnt have enough ranged moves like say dhalsim, or even sagat or claw. he really does the most damage running towards his opponent like an idiot. unfortunately, you only need to eat 2 shoryukens to undo all that work

edit: simply running does not build meter

jumping deep hk —> foward+standing hk (knee that knocks the opponent up) —> (EX)AA throw is the one that i use most, but thats basically the exact same combo you mentioned.

i havent found anything either, but i still suck as the guy, hopefully people will find something good

So, if Fuerte can consistently escape the opponent, couldn’t a strong gameplan of his be to get a lead in damage and then runaway for a time up? After getting a lead, the rest of the damage would come from you tagging opponents on your way out(he can EX off of walls right?). It looks like it’s either going to be this way or by risking it with his rushdown.

yeah that might work out all right, thats the complete polar opposite of how i usually play SF, so i havent really tried it out, but its an interesting plan.

his rushdown is definetly lacking some tools though. its hard to keep the pressure going to set up your run mix ups. all the opponent has to do is be overly aggressive and he can stuff the run pretty easily. early lead to run away might work out well

you cant ex off the wall, its just a wall jump, not a special move. and he doesnt have any mid air specials either. but the wall jump is extremely fast and sends you clear across the screen

n0thingman: you don’t need to tap forward for s.hk it seems… I’ve been doing it without that and just hitting HK and the knee still comes out. Yeah, kind of trivial thing but that’s what I found out yesterday. I too thought you had to tap forward until last night lol

When I was playing I found that zoning and baiting were my best friends. So yes, I think playing keep away and luring/baiting is probably how he will turn out.

does anyone know which of his normals are special cancellable?

can you combo like s.fierce > run >hk slide?

everything except for s.fp, s.mk, s.hk, c.hk seems cancellable. I’ll confirm on Friday when I play again.

played some more today, i found he has a move that i didnt know of before

after a wall jump, imediately after he leaves the wall, if you hit FP, instead of doing his midair fierce, he’ll go into a flying throw instead, it only hits standing or crouching opponents. it will not grab anyone from midair, and it doesnt quite go full screen, probably about 3/4 of the screen. the animation is exactly the same as the forward running FP throw. if you wait too long to press FP after the wall jump (i mean like a fraction of a second) his regular air attack will come out and not the throw

its very useful against anyone spamming fireballs from midscreen

“Wall dive: His wall jump/dive has interesting properties. I think I did it by holding away from the wall and hitting strong punch (fierce). I was able to do throws like from the run (QCF+P), only from the wall.”

First post.

How do you do his wall dive?
Is it a charge down and up move like vega?
Is it fireball motion like rolento?
Or do you just jump against it and fireball like maki?
Or just jump towards and hold away like chun li?

Does Fuerte have any serious advantages or disadvantages?

That are obvious?

to do his wall dive you just jump towards the wall then hit away from it like chun li

sorry rushdown, i guess i either missed it or didnt realize what i read at the time

serious advantages/disadvantages

advantages:
he is extremely fast, moves around very very fast

his ultra is very useful, and you can land it quite easily after you know about controlling the range

his run has some interesting mix-ups

his wall jump can punish fireball spammers

disadvantages:
low damage (too low in my opinion)

not many easy to land combos (as far as i can tell)

he doesnt have a plain forward moving offensive special you can quickly pull off (think giefs palm, or abels rekkas, sagats knee, or a projectile or something)
(the run requires set up and running space, the bodycheck requires 3 seconds of charging which takes up 1 kick button, and the AA grab only hits airborne apponents. he just doesnt have a special he can throw in simple combos)

and lastly, maybe he doesnt need it, but i think it would be nice if he had a command grab

^^ agreed. He doesn’t have a safe “just throw it out there” move. All his moves are really specific and situational.

Viva mexico