Dudley Q&A: Let's learn... like Gentlemen!

So like, in what situations does Dart Shot knockdown?

Sneak Preview of my guide:

http://www.exceedgaming.com/SuperSFIV/Dudley/DudleyGuide.html

Yes, Sweep hits three times in the corner. Timing is tricky but it’s do-able. It’s easier against some characters and harder against others.

cr.MK puts you at massive disadvantage on block, so it’s not safe. If the opponent blocks it, at best, you’ll get sweeped and at worst, eat a combo.

man that midscreen 1-ex ultra combo was nasty. Didn’t look like you connected on all the ultra hits though. maybe 4? In the corner, that would connect fully?

also, is that the link you’re gonna use for your guide? i’m gonna link what you have so far. Just hit me up with the full version link and i can update the OP when you release it all if it’s changed.

double post

Can you sweep x3 and then srk or any followup? Because if you cannot wouldnt it be better to do sweep x2 and a special (or super)?

How unsafe are the various versions of Machine Gun Blow? I’ve seen a lot of people get away with them on block. I mean, are we talking free shoto DP, free shoto sweep, free Chun ultra 1?

Short Swing Blow is unsafe now right? Is it just down like -5 so that it might be safe if you space it correctly? Can you combo off of it with a FADC?

EX MGB can get punished by Corkscrew Cross. GGM did it like 3 times in one of his matches.

You can do Sweep x 3, then Super / Ultra 2.

Not sure if you can do Sweepx3 but I really wouldn’t waste Ultra with Sweep, It only does 360 ish damage, and that’s just one sweep. Damage Scaling would kill the Ultra

GGM literally just posted RIGHT ABOVE YOU that you can sweep x 3…

also, there are videos of it…

You can also do 2 Sweeps instead of 1 after the EX Machine Gun Blow, then Ultra 2.

… I guess “not sure” dosn’t mean what it did. Besides, It would do shit damage.

Sweep x 3, Ultra does 412 damage with Max Ultra and gives untechable knockdown.

Pretty good I’d say.

ok just an FYI, i’ve started updating the OP with the questions. Should be easier to add them from now on.

SaPal, really really great work dude! A really well organised, easy to follow set of threads here!

Serious props my man!

Heres a question.

Is Dudleys 50/50 mix-up off of an empty duck viable like in 3S? (Say HK xx Duck into either throw or short swing blow.) Or is the recovery on ducking so bad its not worth it?

It’s worth it from what I’ve see.

If you mix lk, mk, and hk smoothly and follow up with Duck Straight you can condition players to block and grab them. If you armor break mid range focuses with Duck Straight I’ve found it’s easier to land a empty duck into grab. I wish Dudley had a Duck Low :frowning:

How do you guys punish whiffs at max range? Cr.mp xx mp MGB seems to be nice.

He doesn’t seem as solid as in SF3. I don’t think he’ll be in the top 2 tiers.

I don’t really think that was a viable strategy in 3S to be honest with you, empty ducking straight into your opponent’s face is askng for trouble. As a gimcik, if you follow-up with a quick EX Uppercut / Ultra 2 you might occasionaly get some joy, but it’s not a good strategy.

However, Ducking mixups were a very important part of Dudley’s game in 3S. Good Dudley’s in 3S would use Stand HK and Stand Mp a lot, buffering in Ducking to give a hit confirm to SA3. And it’s something that has changed a lot in Super SF IV. Mash jab is strong in Super SF, meaning that mash jab will beat out a high/low or swingblow attempt after a blocked ducking. In fact the effectiveness at stopping a swing blow after a duck really hurts Dudley in this game, IMO. A great tactic in 3S was Stand MP xx Ducking (blocked), Swing Blow xx SA3. That doesn’t really work in this game as the opponent can beat out the swing blow on the way back.

However, that being said it’s all about playstyle. I started playing Dudley pretty solidly, minimising risk taking. However, I’ve now changed my style somewhat to be more aggressive, sort of in a similar way to the Japanese player Kokujin used in 3S. For example, after Stand Mp xx Ducking that is blocked by the opponent, I’ll sometimes go for an EX Uppercut. On paper that’s a terrible move, but if they went for a mash jab or throw, it will beat both. After one or two of these, the opponent will start to block after the Ducking, and that then allows you to go for the high / low mixup.