Dual modding 101

you only need 1 ground and the ground you use to tie the usb would be enough for all the inputs

Seriously? Awesome. I wasnā€™t aware those acted as the sameā€¦ I forget so much about electronics, but I never really worked with dual boards either.

So then, doesnā€™t the IMP tie the USB grounds together, so Iā€™ve only got to take care of signal?

Thanks for the quick answer, I know so much about technology, but it comes to this and it turns out I know very little.

Also needs to be added to the first post:

Safety first: WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES WHEN SOLDERING.

Lightweight glasses used for hunting work great. You can get them for about $8 at the Sporting Goods section at WalMart. Theyā€™re so clear and light that itā€™s easy to forget youā€™re wearing them.

Ok so I am looking to buy a PS4 mkx fightpad. Im looking to add this into my MAS arcade stick. Which currently has an xbox 360 madcatz fight pad pcb. I daisy changed the ground to all the buttons and Im using a wico perfect 360 joystick so I need the 5v. I wanted to add the MKX pcb in it. So it will have both pcbs in it. Will i run into any issues? Also how do I wire it so I can use both ps3 and ps4 because I want to use it on my pc for mame. Please help me And thank you. All your help is appreciated

Youā€™re gonna have a few issues if itā€™s dual modded, the mkx will need a diode on every imput.

You can already use the ps3/4 on either device but if you want to be able to switch to either natively, youā€™re going to need to access the toggle option somehow.

Thereā€™s a few options on how to do that such as having a switch mounted outside or some access point.

My preference if i have to do something like that is something on the cable like this.

So i can run them up the wire a bit and not have to mar the joystick or add holes.

@Gummo put up a nice pinout guide on the third party padhack thread.

I picked mine up off amazon but you can grab them anywhere you like.

What if I keep the power cable for each controller?

Iā€™m not sure what your stick looks like but you can run separate wires to everything, you likely will want to change the existing daisy chain wiring to a terminal block like one of these and wire everything a bit neater.

Just remember you will need a wire for all the grounds no matter how you do them, and then a one for each input per pcb and as you have to usb cables coming out you will need to have space in the hole coming out for the 2 cords.

Hmm. Alright. Iā€™m gonna try it and let you know. Thanks a lot

Iā€™ll post pics of my wiring later thanks

Hello there,

iā€™ve a problem here. Iā€™m dual modding an Atrox Xbox One arcade stick from Razer with a Hori Mini 4 PCB.
I added a neutrik USB adapter to have one cable for each pcb.
Now, both pcbs are common ground, so i use the classic commond ground wiring to connect ground and signals.
But, when i connect the usb or the atrox cable, buttons work well but the stick is not working. every direction i push is wrong, only UP is right.
I tried EVERYTHING. Could you help me to find the problem please?
Thanks,

Mast

Did you connect VCC (aka 5v in this case) between the boards? Both boards need power at all times. If the directions are constant, you could swap some wires around to correct, though Iā€™d be more concerned about figuring out what went wrong first.

You will hit a brick when using all official PS4 controllers in dual mods, as far as I know. All the inputs are connected to ground when the PS4 PCB is the secondary PCB. That means the primary PCB will report all inputs active (low voltage), hence nothing will happen when you hit buttons or move the stick. The workaround is to put a signal diode like the 4148 between PCB signals (anode connected to other PCB signal, Cathode connected to PS4 PCB signal). Itā€™s a pain in the ass to solder all those diodes in addition to doing the usual dual mod thing.
As for your stick registering only the UP direction, Iā€™m tempted to say that you have a bad solder somewhere that lets the other pcb sending the correct signalā€¦ Hope that helps